ALVIS H52

As FD46 (1951-54)

John Stevenson Collection

Official No:  143948   Port and Year:   London, 1920 (LO437)

                                                                Ostend, 1924 (O161)

                                                                Hull, 1939 (H52)

                                                                Fleetwood, 1951 (FD46)

Description: Castle Class steel side trawler; single screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged.

Crew:  11

Built: 1918, Ailsa Shipbuilding, Troon.  (Yard no. 344)

Tonnage:  279 grt  109.79 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 125.5  / 23.5 / 12.8

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 61 nhp.  Fawcett Preston & Co., Liverpool.

Owners:

 

1920: Registered by the Admiralty as PETER HALL LO437

 

Renamed TRANSPORT UNION 0161

1924: Soc. Anon. Armement Ostendais, Ostend.

 

Renamed ALVIS H52

1939: St. Andrew's Steam Fishing Co., Hull

Manager: Basil A. Parkes

 

1944: Ocean Steam Trawling Co., Hull

Manager: W. L. Barkworth

 

1945: Milford Fisheries, Docks, Milford

Manager: Owen Willie Limbrick

 

1947: Argosy Trawling Co., Fleetwood

Manager: William Stevenson, St. Anne's-on-the-Sea.

 

1951:  H. D. T. Birch, Aberdeen.

 

As FD46

1951:  Alvis Trawlers, 6 Fish Trade Buildings, Wyre Docks, Fleetwood.

 

1954:  Boston Deep Sea Fisheries, Fleetwood.

 

Landed at Milford: 9 Feb 1946 - 2 May 1947

Skippers:

Notes: 6 Nov 1918: Launched as PETER HALL, Admy.no. 3795. 1 x 12 pdr.

1921: Sold to mercantile.

18 Sep1939: While fishing NNW of St. Kilda. U-35 fired a single shot and ordered her skipper to heave to and launch the boat. Because of the poor state of the boat, the Germans boarded the trawler and after destroying the radio and fishing gear allowed her return to St Kilda and Fleetwood.

30 Sep 1940:  Requisitioned for war service and converted for anti-submarine/auxiliary patrol (P.No. 4.118)

May 1941: Converted to a minesweeper..

Mar 1945: Returned to owners.

May 1954: Broken up at Barrow. [Information from 'The Bosun's Watch' Fleetwood trawlers' website. ]

 Accidents and Incidents

From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 9th May 1947:

 

The steam trawler Alvis (Milford Fisheries Ltd.) is shortly leaving the port because of the difficulties in crewing, which are causing delays and considerable trouble to all local owners.  This is the second Fisheries ship to leave the port, the first being the Craig an Eran, which left late last year.

    Mr. Owen Limbrick, Chairman of the Milford Fisheries, made the following statement: "The Alvis is leaving the port because of the crew position and other difficulties.  We are very reluctant to take this step but the constant and recurring heavy delays in getting ships to sea is causing great concern to the industry at Milford Haven, and there is bound to come a time when the position can no longer be tolerated."

 

 

Back to Other Registrations A - H