Official No:  108301   Port Number and Year:   26th in London, 1898 (LO161)

                                                                               16th in Swansea, 1906 (SA23)

Description: Iron side / beam trawler; single screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged.


Built: 1898, Edward Bros., North Shields.  (Yard no. 563)

Tonnage:  155 grt  42 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 105.5  / 20.8 / 10.9

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 54 nhp.  North Eastern Steam Engineering Co., Sunderland.



Jan 1898: Castle Steam Trawlers, Swansea



Jan 1912: Dutch owners.


Later: Renamed BRITANNIA I



c.1925:  Vissch Mij. "Emergo", Ymuiden

Manager: J. M. Barneveld


Renamed ACACIA

By 1930: N.V. Maats. Acacia, Ymuiden


Renamed ZWALOW

1932: N.V. Zeerissch Maats. "Alaska I", Ymuiden

Manager: P. Zwart.


Landed at Milford: 20 Feb 1898 - 20 Jul 1904

Skippers: 1898: William Nightingale ; WilliamSpurgeon; James Kilby

1899: James Kilby

1900: James Kilby; Hooper

1901: Hooper; Thomas Salter; Joseph Huddleston.

1902: Joseph Huddleston

1903: Joseph Huddleston; Henry Milford.

1904: Henry Milford; John Blake.

Notes: No owners recorded in Lloyd's Registers for 1940-46.  Not in the 1949-50 Lloyd's Register as ZWALOW

 Accidents and Incidents

The Times, Monday, Aug 10, 1903; pg. 5; Issue 37155; col B


Late on Saturday evening two men were drowned in Dale Roads, off Milford Haven.  The captains and some of the men of the steam trawlers the Marec, of Milford, and the Amroth Castle, of London, were rowing back to their boats, and when 300 yards from the shore one of the skippers said there were too many men forward and ordered some aft.  While this was being done the boat capsized.  Two of the occupants managed to right her and get in, and the chief engineer of the Amroth Castle, Hugh Jones, got ashore by the aid of an oar, but Skipper Thomas Trott, age 37, married, with seven children, of Milford, was swept away and drowned, as was the third hand of the Amroth Castle, a young man whose name is believed to be Smith.  The bodies have not yet been recovered.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 12th August 1903:


    The news of a sad calamity occurred late on Saturday evening in Dale Roads, resulting in the skipper of the Milford steam trawler "Marec", and the Third Hand of the steam trawler "Amroth Castle" being drowned, while the Skipper, Chief Engineer and Boatswain of the "Amroth Castle" narrowly escaped a like fate.

    The "Marec" is one of the boats of Messrs Sellick, Morley and Price, and her Skipper, Thomas Trott, has been a resident of Milford for many years.  He was 37 years of age, and has left a wife and seven children to mourn his loss.  The "Amroth Castle" is one of the Castle Line of Steam Trawlers, and her skipper is Henry Milford, of Warwick Road, Milford Haven.  The Third Hand who was drowned was a man of mystery, as no one seems to know of him.  He only came to Milford on the 30th of last month, and was known as Smith.  The other two men who barely saved their lives were Hugh H. Jones, Chief Engineer, and the Boatswain, only known as Alf.

    The "Amroth Castle" and "Marec" left Milford Docks for sea on Saturday morning.  Finding the sea too rough for fishing, they put back and sheltered in Dale Roads. The boats were anchored about 1,000 yards from shore, and the two skippers and men went ashore.  About half past ten they were returning to their ships, when about 300 yards from shore the boat capsized, and all were thrown into the water.  Skipper Milford, interviewed by a Telegraph reporter, said that when they put off he noticed there were too many men forward, and he called some of them aft.  They were obeying his order when the boat capsized.  He rose, and grasping the boat tried to right her.  Four times over he tried to enter her.  At last he got her right and scrambled in.  He could see nothing of the others by this time, and believed he was alone in the boat.  He heard someone cry out, "For God's sake, someone save us", but whether it was the Third Hand or the Bosun, he couldn't say.  He called out to keep cool, and if they had to die, to do so like men.  He remained clinging to the water-logged boat for what seemed to him hours, until a boat came off from a fishing smack, and took him and the boat off.  The Chief Engineer, he was told, had swam ashore grasping an oar, but the other two, Skipper Trott and the Third Hand, had not been seen.  He believed the boat was unseaworthy, and that the accident was due to that.

    Edwin Crocker, the skipper of the fishing smack "Unity", BH75, of the port of Brixham, told our reporter that he had just put into Dale Roads, wind bound, and had barely dropped his anchor when he heard cries for assistance.  He had a boat launched and within one minute they were afloat.  He saw a dark object on the water's edge a little ahead, and between them and the shore.  He pulled for it, and came up with boat half full of water, with two men in her, one, Skipper Milford, in a very exhausted condition, and the other, the Bosun, apparently drowned.  He believed both men would have perished in another ten minutes.  He got them on board and took them to his smack, and then sent a boat ashore for some brandy, which was given them, and they recovered.  Meanwhile a boat was searching about for the others, but they were never seen.  He heard the Chief Engineer had got ashore. 

    W. J. Beckett, the mate of the steam trawler "Marec", was also seen, but he could add nothing to the story.  On Sunday night the bodies had not been recovered.  The Chief Engineer, Jones, was then aboard, very ill.

    The facts have been reported to the Board of Trade.


Back to Other Registrations A-H