Official No:  109278   Port and Year:  Brixham, 1896

Description: Wooden fishing smack. Ketch rig.


Built: Robert Jackman, Brixham, 1894

Tonnage:  45 grt 

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 112.3  / 21.6 / 10.9

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 54 rhp.  (Reported to have been fitted with a tug engine; capable of 13 kts.)  Amos & Smith, Hull.



1902 Robert Jackman (Jnr.)

28 Nov 1905: R. E. White

16 Dec 1912: John White


Landed at Milford:  26 Sep - 13 Nov 1894;  17 Mar 1896 - 31 Jan 1915; 15 May 1917 - 17 Apr 1918



 Accidents and Incidents

From the Brixham Heritage Sailing Trawlers Archive:



15 miles S.E. of St Ann's Light, was held up having fouled her trawl when she was run into by DH 446 "Diligence".




From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 22nd February 1911:


    On Saturday night, the smack "Bee Orchis", owned by Mr R. White, came into dock with the mate, Mr James McLean, suffering from severe injuries.  Whilst at sea the previous midnight, in very stormy weather, the pawl breaking caused the handle of the winch to fly back.  McLean unfortunately was engaged on the spot and was struck with great force on the head and shoulders.  He was removed unconscious and remained in that state for several hours, and the skipper made for port with all possible speed.

    On arrival, the injured man was taken in the Dock's ambulance to his home in Brooke Avenue, and was attended by Doctor T. B. P. Davies, who had to insert seven stitches in McLean's head.




Back to Other Registrations A-H