CELTIA M216 / LL28


As LL28 (1926-55)

Courtesy of Fleetwood Maritime Heritage Trust and The Bosun's Watch

Official No:  121620    Port Number and Year: 9th in Milford, 1907

                                                                               -   in Liverpool, 1926 (LL28)

Description: Steel side / beam trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail and mizzen

Crew:  9 men

Registered at Milford: 29 Oct 1907

Built: 1907; by Smiths Dock Co., North Shields.  (Yard no. 359)

Tonnage: 239.33 grt  71.66 net (amended by Board of Trade to 92.82 net., 1 Jan 1914:)

Length / breadth / depth (feet):120.3 / 21.6 / 11.65

Engine: T 3-cyl. 68 hp. 10 kts. W.V.V. Lidgerwood, Glasgow.  Boiler: Wallsend Slipway & Engineering, Wallsend on Tyne



29 Oct 1907: John Jones, 'Dowlais House' Great North Rd., Milford

Jenkin Jones, 'Dowlais House' Great North Rd., Milford


11 May 1910: Harley & Miller,  39 Great Charlotte St., Liverpool.

Robert Harley, 74 Bedford St., Liverpool

Charles Carver Miller, 98 Princess St., Liverpool

Jun 1926: Registered at Liverpool (LL28)


May 1939: Yolland & Llewellyn, Docks, Milford

Manager: John Henry Llewellin


1940: City Steam Fishing, Hull (J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood, managers).

Managers: J. Marr & Son, Fleetwood


1952: Ribble Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood

Managers: Merchants (Fleetwood) Ltd.


Post 1954: Wyre Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood

Managers: Merchants (Fleetwood) Ltd.


Landed at Milford:  7 Nov 1907 - 28 Apr 1910 (M216); 19 May 1939 - 26 Sep 1940 (LL28)

Skippers:  George C. Nichols Cert. 05538; age 40, born Stamford, residing 'Talbot House', Milford;. signed on 23 Oct 1907; 3 Jan 1908

H. Clarke 6177, 28, London, - ; 17 Jan 1908

D. Rostron 5429, 35, Manchester, - ; 11 Apr 1908

Charles Isaac Wildridge 1847, 44, Hull, 16 Dartmouth Gardens, Milford; 2 Jan 1909

William Harrison 4405, 34, Hull, 77 Waterloo Rd., Hakin (later Gwilli Rd., Hakin); 3 Jul, 11 Jul 1909; 3 Jan 1910

C. Masterson 5740, 34, Salisbury, - ; 8 Feb 1910

A.W. Barrett 5307, 34, Hull, - ; 19 Apr 1910

Notes: 29 May 1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.

1919: Returned to owners.

Nov 1939: Requisitioned and designated Auxiliary Patrol Vessel

Jan 1940: Returned to owners.

Feb 1955: Sold for breaking up at Dublin.

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 23 Jun 1926. Transferred to the port of Liverpool.

 Accidents and Incidents

Log book entries:



Monday October 30th, about 7.20. a.m., when close to the Isle of Man, fell in with the 'Oporto' of Liverpool, broken down and flying signals of distress.  Blowing a gale of wind from the SW with very high seas.  With great difficulty made fast to him and towed him to Liverpool.  Arrived about 2 a.m. October 31st.  Before arrival at Liverpool Bar, wind veered to WNW, and passage from NW for ship to cross the Bar was most difficult and dangerous owing to high seas.

    H. Jones (Skipper)



52.45N 12.8W.

R.B. Thorpe, age 34, Skipper; British, born London, residing Hoylake.

Displaced cartilage of knee.

    R.B. Thorpe (Skipper)



I ordered the crew down to go to sea two hours before high water, a.m. tide, on 4th November 1913.  None turned up, only Mate, First Engineer, Second Engineer and self, detaining ship and causing unnecessary expense and disobeying orders.  This report has not been read over to any of the crew as they have not yet put in appearance.

    B.F. Bray (Skipper)

    W.E. Kilby (Mate)

    R. Williams (First Engineer)



From an unknown local newspaper of c. Thursday 25th May 1939:


    The three trawlers recently purchased from Liverpool by Messrs. Yolland and Llewellin have now all completed their last voyage from the Mersey, and landed at Milford.  They are the "Celtia", "Goosander" and "Gallinule".  The first named, as a matter of fact, is a former Milford vessel, and now returns to her old port. 

    All three are of the mixed fishing class, similar to the "Cleopatra" and "Caliph", a type of trawler essential for Milford's mixed fishing as an aid to the hake fishing on the one hand, and the small drifter trawlers working the prime grounds.  The "Celtia", when at Milford, was owned by Mr. John Jones, together with other fishing vessels.

    The departure of these three trawlers signals the end of the direct fishing industry at Liverpool, where a fleet has been maintained for many a year.





Back to Other Registrations A-H


Back to Trawlers 1888-1914