DE LA POLE  M195 / FD144


Courtesy of Fleetwood Maritime Heritage Trust and The Bosun's Watch

Official No:  144161    Port Number and Year: 5th in Montrose, 1919 (ME67)

                                                                              17th in Fleetwood, 1922 (FD417)

                                                                                -     in Hull, 1932 (H395)

                                                                               4th in Milford, 1935 (M195)

                                                                                -     in Hull, 1939 (H234)

                                                                                -     in Fleetwood, (FD144)

Description: Castle Class steel side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: mizzen.


Registered at Milford: 9 Dec 1935 (?)

Built: 1919 by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverely, as JOSHUA ARABIN.  (Yard no. 415)

Tonnage: 290.16 grt  126.58 net

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 125.5  / 23.5 / 12.7

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 86.4 nhp.10 kts.  Engine and boiler: 1919, by Amos & Smith, Hull.




26 Dec 1919: Montrose Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen.

Manager:  Charles F. Paton, Glasgow

1920: Renamed RIVER FORTH ME67

1922: Manager: W. C. Simpson


1 Nov 1922: Melling Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood

Manager: Henry Melling

18 Nov 1922: Renamed LENA MELLING FD417


1931: Farrows Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull.

18 Jan 1932: Renamed DE LA POLE H395.


23 Aug 1932: Hudson Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull

Managers: Hudson Brothers Trawlers, Ltd


As M195

12 Nov 1935: Harry E. Rees, 'Mirador', The Rath, Milford,

Managing Owner.


As H234

 Sep 1939: Henrikson & Co Ltd, St. Andrews Dock, Hull.

Manager: Olaf Henrikson


As FD144

13 Feb 1944: Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, Siding Rd., Fleetwood. 

Jun 1956: Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd, 238 Dock St., Fleetwood

Manager: Fred Parkes, 60 Warbreck Hill, Blackpool.


Nov 1956: W. H. Kerr (Ship Chandlers) Ltd


Landed at Milford: 8 Dec 1935 -13 Aug 1939; 27 Nov 1956 - 4 Jun 1957


Notes: 1 May 1919: Launched as Admiralty Trawler; 9 Oct 1919: Completed as a fishing vessel

28 May 1940: Requisitioned for war service and converted for anti submarine duties (P.No. 4.129).

Jun 1941: Converted for minesweeping duties (P.No. FY.558).

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 16 Nov 1957.  Broken up at Wards Yard, Castle Pill.

 Accidents and Incidents:

From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 16th November 1956:


    Messrs. W. H. Kerr and Son are bringing the Castle class trawler De La Pole to Milford, and she will leave for the fishing grounds this weekend.  She has been bought from Clifton Trawlers, Fleetwood.

    The De La Pole will be in charge of Skipper Ivor Phillips, latterly leading skipper with Consolidated Fisheries of Swansea.  A native of Milford, he gained his ticket here, and is a brother of the late Skipper Jack Phillips, Dewsland Street.  Sailing as mate with him will be Mr. Billy Reynolds, Stratford Road, former skipper of the Bahama.


Back to Trawlers 1915-1939

Back to Other Registrations A-H