From the Fish Trades Gazette, 9th July 1966, in the Les Jones Archive

Official No:  306590   Port and Year:   Lowestoft, 1966 (LT463)

Description: Steel side trawler; single screw, motor. 


Built: 1966, by R. Dunstone, Hessle. (Yard no. s828)

Tonnage:  174 grt  62 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 89.5  / 23.4 / 11

Engine: 4 SA 8 Cyl; 528 bhp.  Dursley.



Apr 1966: William Henry Kerr (Ships' Chandlers), Docks, Milford.


1973: Renamed BOSTON JAGUAR

William Henry Kerr (Ships' Chandlers), Hull.


[Not under this name in Olsen's 1984.]


Landed at Milford:  10 May 1966 - c. 1970

Skippers: Bruno Linke (1966-69)


 Accidents and Incidents

From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 1st October 1965:


    Two new drifter-trawlers being built for Messrs. W. H. Kerr at a cost of 150,000 were launched at Hessle, Yorkshire, on Friday.  The launching of the Dicketa was performed by Mrs. W. H. Kerr, while the Deeside was launched by Mrs. P. Gates.  The trawlers are being built by Richard Dunstone.  The first is expected to arrive at Milford early in the New Year and the second soon afterwards.




From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 1st April 1966:


New Trawlers


    The "Dicketa", first of the two new drifter trawlers for Messrs. W. H. Kerr, is due to leave Hull on her maiden voyage on April 21st, followed a week later by her new sister ship, the "Deeside".

    First landing will be at Hull and the "Dicketa" is expected then to fish a trip round to Milford landing here the second or third week in May.  Both new vessels ... have suffered some unexpected delays, one caused by the accident on the sail training ship "Winston Churchill", under construction in a neighbouring berth.  The 94ft. drifters have first class accommodation for the crews.  The "Dicketa" (second trawler of the same name to sail from the port) will be in charge of Skipper Bruno Linke and the "Deeside", Skipper Rees Evans.




From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 29th April 1966:


    The new drifter-trawler Dicketa had some "teething" trouble with her winch on her maiden voyage on the East Coast, but this has now been corrected.  She is in charge of Skipper Bruno Linke.  Her sister ship, the Deeside (Skipper Rees Evans) is expected to leave the Humber on her maiden trip on May 25th.




From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 13th May 1966:


    The object of admiration in dock at Milford this week has been Messrs. Kerr's new drifter-trawler Dicketa, landing her maiden voyage locally.  In charge of Bruno Linke, she sails on Saturday on her first trip from this port.  Her sister ship, the Deeside, is expected to have her trials next Tuesday week and is expected in Milford in a month's time.  Her master will be Skipper Rees Evans.




From The Irish Times of Monday 31st July 1967, p.11:


    Trawler-man stung by poisonous fish


    When the British trawler, Dicketa [sic], was operating off Tuskar Rock lighthouse off the Wexford coast yesterday, a member of her crew, Mr. John McGoff, of Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, was stung in the hand by a poisonous fish, the lesser weaver, which had been hauled up in the net.  The trawler landed Mr. McGoff and he was taken to Wexford County Hospital and detained.




From The Irish Times of Saturday 6th April 1968, p.5:


    Wreckage found off Wexford


    Two pieces of metal wreckage picked up in the nets of the Milford Haven trawler, Dicketa [sic], were passed to the naval corvette, L.E. Macha, and landed at Rosslare Harbour for examination yesterday evening.

    Aer Lingus announced last night that one of the pieces was 8" by 3" and the other 3" by 2".  They said they were picked up about ten miles east of Tuskar Rock Lighthouse, off the Wexford coast.  They were painted red on one side and one the other grey with a red stripe.

    Captain Jack Miller, Aer Lingus p.r.o., said last night: "Following a preliminary investigation, it seems most unlikely that the pieces were part of the crashed Viscount."


    All day yesterday the sea and air search for the 39 bodies still missing was continued.


[Aer Lingus Flight 712 crashed en route from Cork to London on March 24, 1968killing 61 passengers and crew. The plane, a Vickers Viscount 803 named "St. Phelim", crashed into the sea off Tuskar Rock, County Wexford. Although the investigation into the crash lasted two years, a cause was never determined. (Wikipedia entry.)]




From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 29th August 1969:



The drifter trawler Dicketa (Messrs. W. H. Kerr) returned to port on Saturday afternoon after her master, Skipper Bruno Linke of Wellington Road had been taken ill at sea.

    Dr. P. D. Gange and an ambulance were waiting at Milford Haven Conservancy Board Jetty where Skipper Linke came ashore and was taken to Withybush hospital.

    The Dicketa, which had only gone to sea on Friday, sailed again on Monday morning in charge of Skipper Frank Reynolds.

    On enquiry this morning (Friday) Skipper Linke's condition was stated to be satisfactory and he is due to go home today.




From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 30th October 1970:


    In a straight swop the trawler Dicketa leaves for Lowestoft next Monday, having already been replaced by the smaller vessel Boston Comet from that port.  The Lowestoft crew which brought the Boston Comet to Milford on Wednesday will take the high-powered Dicketa round to the east coast port on Monday.  But the replacement trawler, which is in the same class as the Constant Star, and more suited to the present near-water fleet at Milford, is due to sail for the fishing grounds on Saturday in charge of Dicketa's former master, Skipper Bruno Linke, and his local crew.

    Both vessels are managed by W. H. Kerr, forming part of the Boston Herring Group.




Back to Other Registrations A - H