John Stevenson Collection

Official No:  113594    Port Number and Year: Hull, 1900 (H523)

                                                                              Lowestoft, c.1929 (LT929)

Description: Iron and steel side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. .  Ketch rigged. 


Built: 1900 by Cook, Welton & Gemmel, Hull. (Yard no.282)

Tonnage: 164 grt  65 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 105 / 21 / 11

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 40 rhp.= 10 kts.   Engine by Amos & Smith, Hull



As H523

1900: Great Northern Steam Fishing Co., St. Andrew's Dock, Hull


As LT929

By 1930: Joseph Francis Gamble & Others, "Loandi", Normanston Drive, Lowestoft

Manager: Arthur Mitchell, Milford


Landed at Milford: 10 Jun 1929 - 22 Sep 1936


Notes: 1917: Requisitioned into the Fishery Reserve.

1919: Returned to owners.

1936: Broken up.

 Accidents and Incidents

Statement by Joseph Francis Gamble,  11th September 1929:


    I am the Master and part owner of the steam trawler "Encore".  I have been to sea for the past 30 years and have held a Master's certificate since 1907.

    0n September 11th 1929, at about midnight, we entered Milford Haven from sea with our catch of fish, in company with other steam trawlers. We were preparing to enter the Milford Docks and took up a position astern of two other vessels, just outside the channel buoys.  I did not know the names of the other trawlers.  All our lights were burning brightly. At the lock-gates is a signal light, which shews green when vessels can enter, and this is switched out, and no light is exhibited, when vessels are to remain outside. There are two entrance buoys abreast of the lock and  we were about 50 yards from these.  At this time the green light was not being shown so we laid with our engines stopped, and as we were lying thus two or three other trawlers came up and passed ahead of us, forcing into position ahead of us, and touching us.  The dock gateman evidently would not allow these vessels to go in until they had taken up proper positions. We had been lying with our engines stopped whilst the two vessels came up alongside us and I saw the green light exhibited. 

    l then went slow ahead but for some reason or other the Dock Gateman turned the light off.  The trawler ahead sounded three blasts and came astern and in consequence I and the two vessels alongside of us did the same. Whilst  we were going astern we heard no signals from any vessels astern of us.  My vessel's stern then struck the stem of the vessel behind us which my crew informed me  was the "LO 116 Morgan Jones".  Our stern was damaged.

    I hailed my crew and  we then went ahead into the dock.  When we moored up we found that the vessel behind us was the "Morgan Jones". It was the duty of all vessels astern of us having heard our three blasts to go astern themselves.  When the green light came on I followed the trawler ahead of me into the dock, and the "Morgan Jones" followed us, and took up position in the dock in that order. 

    There was practically no wind.  The tide was on the flood about one and a half hours before high water.  The weather light haze. The" Morgan Jones" came alongside of us afterwards and berthed at the fish market, but I did not speak to her Master or crew.

    The next morning, the 12th of September, I ascertained that the Master of the "Morgan Jones" was not in charge at the time of the collision, but the Mate was. At twelve o'clock I went to Messrs Brand & Curzon's office with Mr Arthur Mitchell.  The Mate of the "Morgan Jones" said he could not have done this damage as he was in dock before us, but we afterwards ascertained this was not the case, and that he followed us in and laid moored next to us.

    The rule at the fishing port of Milford is that vessels as they come in moor up at the East end of the dock, and each one that comes in later moors up alongside the previous one, and thus extend along the Fish Market.


Back to Other Registrations A - H