Official No:  105090     Port and Year:  Hull, 1896 (H315)  

                                                                 Grimsby, 1917 (GY1086)                                                                  

Description: Iron and steel side trawler; coal fired, steam screw.  Yawl rigged


Built: by Mackie & Thomson, Govan, 1896  (Yard no.106)

Tonnage:   158 grt  63 net

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 104.2 / 20.5 / 10.8

Engine: T 3-Cyl; 45 rhp; by Muir & Houston, Glasgow.



1896: Great Northern Steamship Fishing Co., St. Andrew's Dock, Hull


May 1914?: Sir W. Beardmore

Manager: Charles Curzon, Milford


Jul 1917: Strand Steam Fishing Co., Grimsby


Jan 1918: Amaranth Steam Fishing, Grimsby


Mar 1919: Icelandic Fishing, Grimsby


Landed at Milford: 7 Jun 1914 - 13 Jul 1917

Skippers: W. H. Blockwell. (1915)

Notes: 1917: Requisitioned into the Fishery Reserve.

1919: Returned to owners.

Jun 1925: Broken up.

Accidents and Incidents

From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 4th August 1916:






    Charles A. Munning, skipper of the fishing boat Equity, summoned 4 men, W. J. rastron, deck hand, John boatswain, Harry Young, third hand, and J. G. Jones, cook, for wilfully disobeying his lawful commands as ship's husband.   

    Mr. R. T. P. Williams, who prosecuted, said proceedings were taken under the Merchant Shipping Act, 1894.  The Equity came in on the 21st, discharged on the 22nd, and the four defendants were ordered to come aboard to take in ice and get ready for sea on the 24th.  Rastron and King turned up and assisted to take in ice, and then left; but the other defendants did not turn up at all.

    Mr. Munning, ship's husband of the Equity, said the defendant John King signed on as boatswain, Rastron as deck hand, Young as third hand, and Jones as Cook.  He repeated the orders he gave them when the ship was discharged, and said by the custom of the port, 24 hours' notice should be given if men did not mean to make another voyage.  Rastron and King turned up at the appointed time, and assisted to take in ice, but they left, saying they were going to the Grimsby Stores, but they did not return.  Young and Jones did not put in an appearance at all.  The result of the absenceof these four men was that the ship was delayed 50 hours. He had had trouble with three of the defendants before.

    The Bench considered this a serious offence, and fined each defendant 40s., or in default 14 days.

    None of the defendants appeared.


Back to Other Registrations A - H