Official No:  120624    Port Number and Year: London, 1905 (LO231)

                                                                              Aberdeen, 1919 (A137)

Description: Steel side trawler; steam screw, coal burning.   Ketch rigged.


Built: 1905, by Smith's Dock Co., North Shields.  (Yard no. 786)

Tonnage: 207 grt  81 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 117.5 / 21.6 / 11.5

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 52 rhp.  Engine by McColl & Pollock, Sunderland



As LO187

Nov 1905: Phoenix Trawling Co. (G. H. D. Birt), Docks, Milford


Renamed AVONGLEN  A137

1925: North Star Steam Fishing Co., Regent Rd., Aberdeen

Manager: J. A. Harrow


Landed at Milford: 13 Nov 1905 - 17 Jan 1915

Skippers: John (1905); David J. Davies (1906-08); T. J. Hawkings (1915)

Notes: Feb 1915: Requisitioned by the Admiralty (Admy. No. 968). 1 x 12 pdr.

1919: Returned to owners.

1921-25: Laid up.

19 Sep 1934: Foundered 105 miles NE by N of Buchan Ness.  No loss of life.

 Accidents and Incidents

From the Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 19th February 1908:


    Frederick J. Hancock, Point Street, Hakin, summoned John Stroud, Charles Street, master mariner, for piloting the steam trawler "Essex" out of the port of Milford without holding the necessary certificate.  David J. Davies, of Great North Road, master of the steam trawler "Gillygate"; James Keen, Dewsland Street, master mariner of the steam trawler "Syringa"; and Thomas Leggett, Waterloo Road, master mariner of the steam trawler "St. Clear", were summoned for a like offence.  It was mentioned that the cases had all been settled, and they were struck out.



Back to Other Registrations A-H