Roger Worsley Archive

Official No:  129281    Port Number and Year: Hull, 1910 (H108)

                                                                             London, 1910 (LO249)

Description: Steel side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged. Crabber. 


Built: 1910, by Goole Shipbuilding and Repairs Co. (Yard no.133)

Tonnage: 192 grt  71 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 110.1 / 21.1 / 11.9

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 55 rhp.; by Earles & Co., Hull



As H108

Aug 1910: Kelsall Bros. & Beeching., Hull

Manager: John Slater


1936: Plymouth Mutual Steam Fishing Co., Plymouth

Manager: J. Chant.


1937: Torbay Trawlers, Brixham

Manager: A. Dexter


As LO249

1939: Great Northern Fishing Co., Fleetwood

Manager: Robert S. Hewett


1945: R. G. Parsley (Don Trawlers), Docks, Milford


Landed at Milford: 13 Mar 1945 - 17 Mar 1946; 15 Jan 1954 - 4 May 1955

Skippers: 1953: Len Brown; G. King; G. Harding; H. Gue; H. Everett; T. Bartlett.

1954: H. Gue; Len Brown; H. Everett; G. King; G. Harding.

Notes: Oct 1914:  Requisitioned by the Admiralty and converted to a minesweeper (Admy.No.660). 1 x 12 pdr.

1919: Returned to owners.

Aug 1955: Broken up at Llanelly.

 Accidents and Incidents

From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 15th February 1946:


    As a direct sequel to the dispute between the Skippers and Mates Section of the T.&G.W.U and the owners of pair fishing trawlers over the employment of Spanish Fishing Masters, the Spanish method of pareja-fishing has ceased at Milford.

    The "Charmouth" and "Grackle" have already been converted to fish solo, while the "Trumpeter" and "Shama", the other boats belonging to the Pair Fishing Co., will be converted later this month.  The Don Trawler Company's "Tanager" and "Grosbeak" are also coming in for alterations pending their return to fishing singly.

    It will be remembered that the skippers and mates claimed that demobilised local skippers should be put in as masters instead of the Spanish uncertificated fishermen holding the berths, one on each trawler in addition to a normal skipper.  The owners claimed that the Spaniards were indispensable, and that if the Union persisted, they would either move their boats to another port, or convert them to fish singly.  There was a deadlock for a few weeks, and as the skippers and mates were adamant, the trawlers are being converted, but will not leave the port.

    Taking another step in their new policy of fishing with single boats, the Pair Fishing Company has purchased the Castle boat "John Lister" from the Iago Trawling Company of Fleetwood, with which Capt. E. D. W. Lawford is associated.  She will be at Milford early next month, and Skipper Reggie High will be in charge of her.

    The "Charmouth" has been taken out on her first solo trip by Skipper Jack Garnham.





From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 15th February 1946:


    With Skipper Len Brown, Shakespeare Avenue, at the helm, the s.t. Grosbeak sailed for Llanelly this morning for breaking up.  The Grosbeak is owned by the Don Steam Trawling Company.


Back Row L-R:  Fireman Cynog Williams, Deckies Jack Rose (Dewsland Street, Milford) & Tom McGeaw, Fireman Vincent Chipriot (a Maltese From Jury Lane, Haverfordwest)

Front Row: Chief Eng Arty Thomas (Little Haven), Deckie George Owston, Mate Bert Everett (11 Greville Road, Milford), Skipper Lenny Brown (Milford), Cook Hubert Bevan (Milford), Bosun S.P .Piper,  2nd Eng Billy Nicholas (Hazelbeach)

John Stevenson Collection




Back to Other Registrations A - H