Official No:  120499   Port Number and Year: London, 1905

Description: Steel side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged.


Built: 1905,  by Smith's Dock Co., North Shields. (Yard no.762)

Tonnage: 207 grt  112 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet): - / - / -

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 70 nhp.; by MacColl & Pollock, Sunderland.



Feb 1905: Welsh Trawling Co., Docks, Milford

Manager: G. H. D. Birt



Jun 1911: Fukahaku Yenyo Gyogyo Kabushiki Kaisha, Fukuoka, Japan.


Landed at Milford: 22 Feb 1905 - 18 Dec 1910

Skippers: 1905: W. Holder; J. Garnham; Taylor;

1906: Taylor; A.G. Owston


 Accidents and Incidents

From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 1st March 1905:


    The steam trawler "Gwalia", belonging to the recently formed Welsh Steam trawling Company (Manager, Mr. G. H. D. Birt), made her first appearance at the market on Thursday morning, her maiden voyage realising over 200.  She is skippered by Captain W. Holder.  As, one after the other, new boats are added to the Port's fleet, the gap created last summer is gradually being filled up.




From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 14th November 1906:


     The steam trawler "Ixia" (Sellick, Morley and Price) was picked up about four o'clock on Wednesday afternoon, 50 miles off St. Ann's Head, in a disabled condition, by the steam trawler "Gwalia" (Mr. G. H. D. Birt).  The "Ixia" had her tail shaft broken and was flying signals of distress when the "Gwalia" (Skipper Owston) came alongside and took her in tow, both vessels arriving in dock at nine a.m. on Thursday.




Statement by the skipper, Mr. G. Farmer: 


    We were taking the steam trawler "Gwalia" from the port of Milford Haven abroad to the port of Kobe, Japan.

    We left the harbour of Milford on 15th December 1910.  The weather conditions were pretty bad.  At around 7.45 p.m., it was found that the bilges were full of water.  On examination for the reason for this, we discovered that the pumps were all choked.

    I eased the vessel down to see if it would help to clear itself, but on checking again at 11.45 p.m., it was found that the inflow of water had increased.  The weather had not improved, so I decided to turn her around and head back to Milford for shelter.

    Before reaching shelter in Milford, a hurricane was encountered on the 16th, causing much damage.  We lost our small boat, stores, provisions and much of the gear.

    We arrived back in port (Milford Haven) on the 18th December 1910.


(Sgd.) George Farmer.  Skipper





Back to Other Registrations A - H