Official No: 121091 Port and Year: 95th in Hull, 1905
Description: Side trawler, steel; steam screw, coal burning. Crabber. Wheelhouse aft.
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmel, Beverley, 1905. (Yard no. 90)
Tonnage: 174 grt 55 net (1905) 68 net (1 Jan 1914.)
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 108.5 / 21.6 / 11.5
Engine: T3-Cyl. 45 nhp, 9.5 knots; by Amos & Smith, Hull
17 Nov 1905: Hellyers Steam Fishing Co., St. Andrews Dock, Hull.
Manager: Charles Hellyer, St. Andrew's Dock, Hull.
4 Sep 1917: Mrs Elizabeth M. Jones, "Carrighlwyd", Oswestry, Shropshire.
Manager: Charles Curzon, Docks, Milford.
1920: The Iago Steam Trawler Co. Ltd, The Works, Milford.
Manager: Edward D. W. Lawford, "Havenhurst", Milford.
14 Dec 1927: Ocean Steam Fishing Co. Ltd, St. Andrew's Dock, Hull.
Manager: George Altoft.
25 Oct 1935: Robert Walkington, 35 Pharos St., Fleetwood.
Manager: Alexander Keay, Fish Trade Bldgs., Wyre Docks, Fleetwood.
Landed at Milford: 16 Jan 1919 - 17 Nov 1927.
Ariel is a spirit in Shakespeare's Tempest, famous for speed on behalf of his master.
Sep 1914: Requisitioned as a mine-sweeper (no. FY 616) and renamed ARIEL II.
1919 Returned to owners.
1 Aug 1945: Trawled live mine off Isle of Man and delivered it to Douglas for disposal.
2 Aug 1945: Sank following a collision with the 12,000-ton cargo ship BENLEDI in thick fog S by W of the Chicken Rock Light, Calf of Man. The ten crewmen abandoned the stricken trawler, were picked up by a lifeboat lowered by the BEN LEDI, and were landed in Liverpool. [Information from "The Bosun's Watch" website.]
Back to Other Registrations A-H