Official No: 106595    Port and Year:  15th in Brixham, 1897 (DH436 > BM130)

Description: Smack - ketch rig.

Crew:  5

Built: Daniel Dewdney, Brixham 1897

Tonnage: - grt  39 net

Length / breadth / depth (feet):  /  /

Engine:             -



1897: Jasper Wootton, King St., Brixham.

Managing owner.


18 Nov 1913:  Jasper Wootton, "Hearts of Oak", 28 Hill St., Hakin, Milford.

Managing owner.


By 1917: Jasper Wootton, 1 Exchange St., Woolster St., Plymouth.

Managing owner.


Landed at Milford: (1899 - 1903: Seasonal, usually Feb - Oct.)

26 Jan 1904 - 22 Sep 1914.

Skippers: W.J.  James (1903)


18 Nov 1903: In collision with HMS FALCON (torpedo boat destroyer) off the Start, with the death of crew member George Dunn Beard. [Information from Brixham Sailing Trawlers website.]

[ Not listed by this name in the MNL, 1921.]


Accidents and Incidents

From "The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser" of Friday 25th December 1903:


Milford Trawler Sued for Damages.

            At Pembroke Dock County Court, on Wednesday, before his Honor Judge Bishop, Jasper Wotten, of Brixham, owner of the fishing smack "Dove," claimed from J. W. Wilkins, of Milford Haven, owner of steam trawler "Goldfinder," the sum of 23 10s for damages alleged to have been sustained by a collision. Mr Marlay Samson, instructed by Messrs Robert Lock & Muncaster, represented the plaintiff and Mr J. Griffith Jones, instructed by Mr Geo Thomas, was for the defendant.

            The plaintiff's case was that on Sunday, March 15th last, while the Dove was in the lock, entering the dock, the "Goldfinder" attempted to pass her, thus bringing about the collision and resulting damage. J. R. Lang, skipper of the "Dove," and Arthur Bass, the mate, gave evidence as to the collision, as did the skipper of his other smack who saw what happened. The owner and Peter LI. Hancock, a Milford shipwright, gave evidence as to the amount of the damage.

            Thomas Harries, gateman at Milford Docks, said the "Goldfinder" was in the lock gates first, and had stripped her engines. The "Dove" entered afterwards and struck the "Goldfinder" on the front side. She then went on into the dock. James Hetherington, Capt. James and others gave evidence. His Honor gave a verdict for the full amount claimed with costs.



From "The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser" of Friday 15th October 1909:



The Brixham smack Dove was lying at anchor in Dale Roads on Friday night and the mate, James Poole, had been ashore in Dale village. Returning to the ship about 10 o'clock he met with a serious accident in attempting to get aboard whereby he sustained a compound fracture of the leg, below the knee. The Skipper and crew did all in their power to alleviate their shipmate's suffering and made for Milford as quickly as possible. Arriving in the early hours of the morning the injured man was at once taken to the John Cory Sailor's Rest and Bethel where he was surgically attended and on Saturday afternoon was conveyed to the Haverfordwest Infirmary.



From the "Cardiff Times" of Saturday, May 21st 1910:


Boy's Skull Fractured.

            On Tuesday a lad named Fred Willowcott (14) of Brixham, fell from the quay wall at Milford Docks, a distance of 16 feet, to the deck of the smack Dove, of Milford, alighting upon his head on the bunker iron lid. He was picked up unconscious and Dr. W. S. Griffith sent for, who ordered his removal to the John Cory Sailors' Rest and Bethel. The base of the  skull was fractured, and the youth, who was cook on board the smack, lies in a critical condition. He is a son of skipper Fred Willowcott, of the smack Dominion.



From "The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser" of Friday 23rd December 1910:



    In a more detailed account, our Milford correspondent writes:

    The terrific gale which prevailed last Thursday and Friday wrought tremendous havoc on land and sea. Not since the year 1886 has such a terrible storm occurred on the coasts of Pembrokeshire. The sea was in an awful fury, and presented a sight terrible to behold.

    The destruction on land was great, but nothing to compare with that which has wrought on sea. An enormous amount of damage occurred amongst the shipping, but saddest of all is the loss of life.

    The storm began to rise early on Thursday morning, and by noon had increased greatly.


    The storm began to rise early on Thursday morning, and by noon had increased greatly. Early during the evening, the fishing smack "Dove" was sailing down the harbour but, when near Chapel Bay, a tremendous sea struck her and she heeled over on her beam ends. The small boat, was smashed and it seemed that all was lost. The cabin was filled with water and the mainsail was partly submerged. The crew were on the point of jumping overboard when the vessel righted herself and was able to return to port for repairs.


Back to Other Registrations A-H