Courtesy of Hull Trawler website

Official No:  106755     Port and Year: 30th in Hull, 1897 (H360)

Description: Steel side trawler; coal fired, steam screw.  Ketch rigged.

Crew: 9 men (1897).

Built: by MacKie & Thompson, Glasgow, in 1897 (Yard no. 152)

Tonnage:   165 grt  52 net  64 net

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 104.2 / 21.0 / 10.7

Engine: C 2-Cyl; 45 hp; by Muir & Houston, Glasgow.



As EBOR H360

7 Jul 1897: The Great Northern Steamship Fishing Co., Hull.

Manager: James Leyman, St. Andrew's Dock, Hull. (1897-c.1990)

                  William R. Nowell, 2 Kensington Ave., Hessle Rd., Hull. (By 1903-13)

                  Fred Smith, 40 De La Pole Ave., Hull. (1913-14)


1914: Burnett S. Massey, Quay St., Hull.

Managing owner.

Managers: Brand & Curzon, Docks, Milford. (Oct 1914 - May 1920.)


21 Feb 1919: The British Trawling Co. Ltd., 201 Derby Rd.,  Bootle. Liverpool

Manager: C. W. Pickering.


1922: Thomas T. Brown, 133 Piersfield Tce., Piershill, Edinburgh.

Managing owner.


1925: Robert Murray, 42 Brunswick St., Edinburgh & W. Brown, Newhaven, Edinburgh.

Manager: Alexander Flockhart, 1 Jessfield Tce., Leith.


1927: James Johnston, 21 Trinity Cres., Leith, & J. Donaldson, Newhaven, Edinburgh.

Manager: Adam Johnston, 11 Lower Granton St., Leith.


Landed at Milford: 18 Oct 1914 - 5 May 1920



Ebor is the abbreviated Latin for the city of York, "Eboracum".

29 May 1917: Requisitioned into the Fishery Reserve

1919: Returned to owners.

30 Dec 1927: Sank off Isle of May, Firth of Forth when returning from fishing grounds. Skipper James Johnston and crew took to the small boat and were rescued by GLENOGIL GW8 and landed at Leith.

[Information courtesy of Fleetwood Maritime Heritage Trust and the Bosun's Watch, and Granton Trawlers website.]

10 Feb 1928: Total loss; Hull register closed.


Accidents and Incidents

From The Cambrian Daily Leader of Tuesday, 16th February 1915:

    To general surprise the schooner Industry, of Bridgwater, which was reported lost off the Smalls on Saturday, was towed into Milford Haven yesterday by the steam trawler Ebor. It was reported yesterday that the crew were rescued by the smack General Leman, after an exciting experience, and that in the high seas the schooner appeared to be lost. The Ebor picked her up on Sunday, and succeeded in keeping the craft afloat and towed her safely to port.


From The Cambrian Daily Leader of Wednesday, 24th March 1915:


    In the Admiralty Division yesterday, Sir Samuel Evans had before him a motion on behalf or the owners, master, and crew of the Hull trawler Ebor, of Hull, the plaintiffs in a salvage action, for the sale of the Industry and her cargo. Mr. Dumas said the Industry was picked up in a derelict and leaking condition off the West Coast of Wales and taken to Milford. His Lordship ordered the sale of the vessel, the proceeds to be paid into court.



From The Cambrian Daily Leader of Tuesday, 8th June 1915:

A Haughty Order.

    The steam drifter Ebor landed at Milford Haven to-day the skipper and crew of thirteen of the steamship Trudveny, of Bergen, who were picked up 80 miles south-west of St. Anne's Head. The Trudveny, it appears, was hailed by a submarine soon after mid-day on Monday, and the captain was ordered to bring his papers aboard. The crew were given twenty minutes to get what they wanted, and the vessel was sunk by 12 shots.

          The shooting brought up a Milford patrol boat, which picked up all the crew from two small boats. While doing this the submarine tried to torpedo the patrol boat. The men were got aboard, but the boats were allowed to go. The crew were later put on the Ebor, the patrol boat being left on the spot where the submarine had submerged. The Trudveng, a vessel of 1,400 tons, was bound for Dublin with iron ore.

          Captain K. M. Johansen, when interviewed by a Press Association representative, said that when he went aboard the submarine to give up the papers he was haughtily told, “We will you twenty minutes." He went back, and though there was a mixed crew of thirteen men, they got away in two boats within the prescribed time. As the vessel sunk the smoke of a large steamer was seen, and the submarine turned eastward to watch her coming.


            Back to Other Registrations A-H