Official No:  127070   Port and Year:  7th in Bristol, 1909 (BL12)

Description: Steel side trawler; single screw, coal burning.  Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail and mizzen.


Built: 1909; J. Duthie, Torry Shipbuilding, Aberdeen.  (Yard no. 335)

Tonnage:  198 grt  74 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 111.1  / 21.1 / 11.5

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 64 rhp.  W.V.V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge, Glasgow



11 Oct 1909: Western Steam Trawling, Docks, Bristol.

Manager: Sidney Morgan Price, 'St.Annes', Milford.


Landed at Milford:  19 Oct 1909 - 2 Aug 1914.

Skippers:  J. Coaker (Cert. 4190); 1909.


Aug 1914:  Requisitioned by the Admiralty and converted to a minesweeper. (Admy.No.152) 2 x 6 pdrs.

Apr 1915: Renamed FALMOUTH III.

19 Nov 1915:  Mined off Deal, and settled on the wreck of the mined hospital ship ANGLIA.

 [See 1915 newspaper article below.]


Accidents and Incidents


From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 22nd October 1909:





         ............   An addition to the fleet was made on Thursday last when the new steam trawler "Falmouth" owned by Messrs. Sellick, Morley and Price arrived in port. The new vessel was built at Aberdeen, and is quite up to-date in her equipments. Considering the bad weather he has had to encounter, the skipper, Mr. J. Crocker [sic], made a fairly successful maiden voyage.        

        The above vessel has come to replace the old "Falmouth" owned by the same firm. Doubtless our readers will remember that she was sunk by an explosion in Dock in August last and was sold to Messrs. Paton and Co., for breaking up for purposes.   



From the Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph of 1st December 1915:


    The perils which our minesweepers have to face have once more been brought home to Milford folk by the loss of another trawler engaged in these operations. News was received last week that the Falmouth was lost as the result of an explosion, five of the crew of 16 being killed and the others wounded.

    The Falmouth, which was owned by Messrs. Sellick, Morley & Price, was with the Abelard the first vessel to leave Milford on the outbreak of the war. The skipper is Mr Robert Joyce, who, with his brother, W. Joyce, is in hospital, suffering from shock, and it is believed the bo'sun W. Naden also.  N. Saunderson, however, is in Deal hospital with a fractured arm, and the other Milford man aboard, James Harvey, chief engineer, of 10, Pill Road, Milford Haven, was killed. He was the second engineer when the vessel left Milford, but the chief, George Dennis, was transferred to another ship.

    The body of Harvey was brought home to Milford Haven for burial, and the funeral took place on Friday afternoon with naval honours. The coffin on the carriage was drawn from the house to the Parish Church by engineers of the Naval Reserve Squadron, and was preceded by a firing party. There were about 100 men of R.N.R. in the procession in charge of Lieut. Guildford, R.N. The Rev. F. T. Oswell was the officiating clergyman. At the cemetery three volleys were fired over the grave and the last post sounded. Messrs. Fred Lloyd & Co., undertakers, superintended the arrangements.



Back to Other Registrations A - H