As BF105 (1919-45)

© Barry Banham Photo Collection

Official No:  131243    Port Number and Year: 8th in Inverness, 1910 (INS118)

                                                                              11th in Banff, 1919 (BF105)

                                                                                4th in Fraserburgh, 1945 (FR41)

                                                                                1st in Milford, 1947

Description: Steel side drifter trawler, steam screw, coal burning. Nets and lines.  Ketch rigged: mizzen, jib.

Crew:  10 men (1947).

Registered at Milford: 31 Mar 1947

Built: 1910 by John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co., Aberdeen.  (Yard no. 338)

Tonnage: 89.82 grt  37.49 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet):  86.05  / 18.1 / 8.7

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 28 nhp.10 kts.  Engine by John Lewis & Sons, Aberdeen; boiler by David Rowan & Co., Glasgow



As INS118

14 May 1910: Alexander Backie (jnr.), 13 McPherson St., Hopeman, Co. Elgin. (& Others.)

Manager: Charles H. Mitchell, Bank of Scotland, Hopeman.


By 1912: Daniel Backie, Hopeman, Co. Elgin.

Manager: Charles H. Mitchell, Bank of Scotland, Hopeman.


1919: Alexander Innes, 20 Admiralty St., Portknockie, Banff.

Managing owner: John W. Wood, Portknockie, Banff.    

9 Jun 1919: Registered at Banff (BF105).

1920: Managing owner: Alexander Innes.

1931: John Pirie & J. Wood (Fish Salesman) Ltd., Portnockie

Managing owner: John Pirie, 19 Seafield St., Portnockie, Banff.


1944: Gilbert & J. Buchan, Inverallochy.


As FR41

1944: G. & J. Buchan, Inverallochy.


Mar 1947: Westholme Fishing Co. Ltd., The Docks, Milford.

Manager: Reginald Llewellyn Hancock, Picton Rd., Hakin.

31 Mar 1947: As M170


17 Jan 1949: Lilian Henrietta Busk-Wood, Ryde, IoW.

Managing owner.


8 Mar 1952: John Rae, De Beauvoir, Ivy Gates, Guernsey

[Converted to salvage vessel.]


Landed at Milford: 7 Oct, 7 Dec 1948  (Landed at Fleetwood, May 1949 - 20 February 1950.)



Jan 1917 - 1919: Requisitioned by the Admiralty as Examination Vessel. 1x3 pdr. Based at Longhope.

Jun 1939: Refloated wooden steam drifter VALOROUS (BCK203) aground on east side of Dunnet Head. Escorted her to Buckie.

12 Jul 1940 - Feb 1944: Requisitioned by the Admiralty as Barrage Balloon Vessel / Harbour Service. Based at Methil.

Feb 1944: Returned to owners as “unfit for service”. Banff registry closed.

4 May 1952: Engaged in salvage work over wreck of CLARRIE (177grt/1901) off Bordeaux, Guernsey. Timed explosive charges placed on wreck but could not move clear and was severely damaged by explosion. Launched boat and four crew pulled clear before vessel foundered

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 27 May 1952.

[Additional information thanks to The Bosun's Watch & Fleetwood Maritime Heritage Trust.]

Accidents and Incidents


From The Irish Times of 5th May 1952, p.1:




    A violent explosion, which shook houses on the north coast of Guernsey, lat night, blew up the 100-foot vessel Heathery Brae, which was engaged in salvage operations three miles off the north coast of the island.  The four men on board - the owner and captain, John Rae (42), Engineer R. Race (50), Diver J. Nixon (32), and Seaman A. Falla (40) - were severely shaken, but managed to lower a lifeboat and pull clear from the vessel, which sank in 10 minutes.

    The Heathery Brae, an ex-Fleetwood trawler, purchased by Mr. Rae earlier this year, had been converted and was engaged in raising wrecks off the coast of the Channel Islands.

    The Heathery Brae was engaged on the wreck of the vessel, Clarrie, which sank 31 years ago.  Timed charges to blow up the wreck had been placed, but the Heathery Brae safety line became fouled.  Before this could be righted the charges went off right under the vessel and blew out her bottom.



Back to Trawlers 1940-1988