Official No:  96444   Port and Year:  20th in Brixham, 1889

Description: Wooden fishing smack.  Cutter rig.

Crew:  3

Built: Brixham, 1889

Tonnage:  25 grt  23 net

Length / breadth / depth (feet):   /  /

Engine:     -



14 Dec 1889: Robert Young, The Quay, Brixham.

Managing owner.


By 1894: George Rowe, 3 Harding St., Tenby.

Managing owner / Skipper.


Landed at Milford:  Landed at Tenby.

Skippers: George Rowe.


13 Apr 1899: Grounded and damaged at Tenby Pierhead. [See newspaper below.]

1 Feb 1904: Lost mizzenmast in gale. [See newspaper below.]

24 Sep 1912:  Stranded on Carmarthen Bar (51.43N 04.26W); fishing from Tenby.  [Larn R & B (2000): "Shipwreck Index of the British Isles, Vol.5"]

Not recorded on Brixham Sailing Trawlers website.


Accidents and Incidents

From the Weekly Mail of Saturday 15th April 1899:


A very heavy gale from the north-west sprang up on Thursday night, and continued to blow with great force on Friday. On the new Victoria Pier, which is now approaching completion, the pile-driver belonging to the contractor was blown over the side of the landing-stage, but no damage was done to the structure itself. Several vessels were at anchor in Tenby and Caldy Roads. The trawlers Shamrock and Laura Mildred grounded at the Pierhead whilst attempting to enter the harbour early on Friday morning, and the latter sustained a good deal of damage. Several other trawlers also broke from their moorings in the harbour, and met with slight damage. The ketch Jane and Mary, of Bideford, grounded in Caldy Roads. The crew left the vessel in their own boat, and landed on Caldy Island. The ketch still remains afloat.



From the Cardiff Times of Saturday 6th February 1904:

Serious Damage at Tenby.

Monday night's gale caused the tide to rise to an extraordinary height at Tenby, and at high water (between 6 and 7 o'clock) Tuesday morning the harbour presented a scene similar to that of October 8th, 1898, when the pier wall was washed down. Fortunately on this occasion the gale did not prove 20 destructive. The lifeboat slip, however, was completely demolished, and the house low stands about eight feet clear of the sands, making a launch impossible. The roadway to the South Sands was torn away, and the tide at its height reached halfway to the main thoroughfare. Considerable damage was also done to the sluice walls. The barquentine Torrharwin broke her stern moorings, and forged ahead, and the Caldy steamer broke adrift and lies at high water mark. The water entered the stores of the W.S.S. Co. and damaged a quantity of goods. The trawler Laura Mildred (Rowe master) was carried away and lost her mizzenmast.


Back to Other Registrations I-P