PETER LOVITT LO300
Official No: 143965 Port and Year: London, 1920 (LO300)
Fleetwood, 1922 (FD398)
North Shields, 1935 (SN14)
Description: Castle Class steel side trawler; single screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged.
Crew: 12 men (1940).
Built: 1917, Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough. (Yard No.670)
Tonnage: 276 grt 107 net.
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 125.5 / 23.4 / 12.8
Engine: T.3-cyl. 480 ihp. Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough.
Boiler: Palmers Shipbuilding & Iron Co Ltd, Jarrow
3 Feb 1920: The Admiralty, London.
Manager: The Secretary, Admiralty, Whitehall, London S.W.1.
18 May 1920: Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London.
25 Jan 1922: William Preston, Fleetwood.
31 Jan 1922: FD398.
22 Feb 1922: Robson Trawlers Ltd., 114 Dock St., Fleetwood.
Manager: Robson Preston. (Same address.)
1934: Shields Engineering & Dry Dock Co. Ltd., Bell St., North Shields.
Manager: Thomas S. Read, 28 Grosvenor Place, North Shields.
22 Feb 1934: SN14.
24 Jul 1935: LOWDOCK SN14
Managers: Kingston Steam Trawling Co. Ltd., St. Andrew's Dock, Hull. (Oct 1939)
Landed at Milford: 12 Jan - 22 Jul 1919. (11 landings.)
1 Mar 1920 - 8 Mar 1921. (32 landings.)
Peter Lovitt (originally Lovett); age 42; born Aldeborough, Suffolk; Quartermaster, HMS VICTORY; at Trafalgar.
19 May 1917: Completed as an armed trawler.
1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as PETER LOVETT (sic) O.N.143965. Engaged in commercial trawling.
Feb 1920: At HM Dockyard, Pembroke fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100 A1 Stm Trawler at Milford.
3 Feb 1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) as PETER LOVITT at Pembroke Dock.
12 Oct 1932: Homeward in heavy weather seven miles SE of Maughold Head, Isle of Man, sighted wooden steam “coaster” GIRL MAY (81grt/1907) (ex steam drifter (FR473/GK89)) on passage Ayr – Salcombe with coal, in distress with engine room flooded. In darkness, Sk. Fred Chard launched the boat and with a volunteer crew succeeded in rescuing the seven crew members before the vessel foundered.
13 Oct 1932: Survivors landed at Fleetwood.
8 Feb 1940: Convoy sailed Methil for Hull. At 11.15 a.m. 21/2 miles E. of Scarborough attacked by German aircraft with machine guns and bombs. One aircraft hit with Ross rifle and retired, other (Dornier 17E) dropped over twenty bombs, the final one lifting the stern out of the water and damaging telegraphs, steering gear, wireless and DF; no casualties.
12 Feb 1940: Requisitioned for war service, but rejected.
19 Mar 1940: When 5 miles E of Tod Head, in collision with HM Trawler LADY PHILOMENA (H230 / P.No.FY.148) which struck her port side aft in way of the gallows; vessel foundered and eleven crew lost; mate (on watch) survived. Certificate of registry lost with vessel.
[Information kindly supplied by Gil Mayes and the the Bosun's Watch website.]
Back to Other Registrations Q-Z