Official No: 106572 Port Number and Year: - in Brixham,1896 (DH407 > BM87)
5th in Milford, 1915 (M51)
Description: Wooden sailing smack; trawling. Ketch rigged.
Registered: 28 May 1915
Built: J. W. & A. Upham, Brixham 1896
Tonnage: 50 grt 41 net
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 53 / - / -
1896?: John Shears Adams, Cavern Rd., Brixham.
22 Feb 1904: William C. H. Gregory, Prospect Rd., Brixham.
12 May 1910: Edward Davies, 38 High St., Neyland.
28 May 1915: John William Setterfield, New Inn, St. Clements Rd., Neyland.
Owner, manager and skipper.
Landed at Milford: [ Probably landed at Neyland from 1910. ] 21 Jun - 28 July 1915.
Skippers: John William Setterfield.
Notes: 13 Aug 1915: Foundered 6 miles SE off Courtown, Co. Wexford. [See below.]
Cert. Cancelled & Registry Closed: 27 Aug 1915.
Accidents and Incidents
From The Irish Times of Saturday 14th August 1915:
TRAWLER LOST OFF COURTOWN
About one o'clock today the coast watchers at the "look-out" at Courtown Harbour observed a vessel of the trawler class in distress about seven miles distant.. Shortly afterwards they saw the crew leaving the trawler, and they signalled two local fishermen, Michael Wafer and Patrick Kenny, who were fishing in the bay. The men at once responded to the call, but owing to the adverse winds and tide they were forced to relinquish their task. In the meantime the "look-out" saw the trawler disappear. The crew, who had taken to the small boat, pulled away northwards, and word was conveyed to the lifeboat crew, but as most of them were out plaice-fishing, and other members are on active service, a sufficient crew could not be mustered to launch the lifeboat. A small motorboat, The Rambler, was manned by its owners, the brothers Ned, Jack and Andy Byrne, and, although encountering great difficulties through a strong head-wind and a heavy sea, they pluckily set out to the assistance of the distressed crew, who continued to head their boat northwards, making apparently for Arklow. After about two hours they succeeded in overtaking them, and the little punt was taken in tow, and the survivors, John Setterfield, skipper and owner; and Walter Hall - were landed at Courtown Harbour amidst the cheers of a large crowd who had assembled on the pier. The trawler was the Roebuck, of Milford Haven, and the cause of the sinking was the fouling of the trawler with some object at the bottom of the sea, with the result that the rudder snapped, and the water rushed in to the aperture caused by the break. The vessel filled rapidly. The boilers subsequently exploded, and she sank in about 15 minutes. Great credit is due to the local fishermen, and also to the Byrne brothers, who pluckily went to the rescue.
Back to Smacks