Official No:  73175    Port and Year:  Hull, 1876

Description: Ketch.

Crew: 5

Built: Plymouth, 1876

Tonnage:  - grt  76 net

Length / breadth / depth (feet):                                              





1876: Henry Toozes, 44 English St., Hull


1881: Andrew Mudge, 6 St.George's Rd., Hull.


c.1886: Charles Neale, 9 Daltry St., Hull.

(1889-90: Probably managed by Thomas Neale in Milford.)


1890: John L. Sayer, Lower Thames St., City, London.

Manager: Robert James Sayer, Billingsgate, Hull.


1891:  Alfred Dobson, 237 South Town, Yarmouth.

Managing owner.


[Not under that name in 1893.]


Landed at Milford: 3 Apr - 27 Dec 1889.

[Landings before 1889 not recorded, and the newspaper report below suggests that other landings were in 1890.]

Skippers: William Rackley, cert. 05321; age 30, born Brixham.


Thomas Stratten (1793-1854) was a minister at the Congregation Chapel, Fish St., Hull, and the Thomas Stratten Board School was named after him.


Accidents and Incidents


From the Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 19th April 1889:

DEATH BY DROWNING.— On Monday an inquest was held at the Globe Inn, Milford, before Mr Price (Coroner), and a jury, touching the death of William Disney, otherwise Disnel, aged 20 years, of Great Yarmouth, who had been engaged on board the Thomas Stratton [sic], as a deck hand. From the evidence of H. Evans, a dock constable, it appeared that about 11 o'clock on Friday night, deceased, who was under the influence of drink, passed through the Dock gates in the direction of his ship which was about 150 yards distant, and lying alongside the Dock wall. About a minute afterwards, a splash was heard, and the dock constable gave an alarm, stating that a man had fallen into the water. The constable went in the direction of the sound, and on looking over the wall, saw deceased in the water. He threw a bucket, to which a large rope was attached, into the water for the deceased to lay hold of, but he did not do so. Deceased did not speak, but moved quietly in the water. The constable and three others shouted to deceased, and held lights over the wall. A boat with two boys in it was soon on the spot before deceased disappeared, but the deceased sank before they could lay hold of him. The body was recovered in about 35 minutes, and Dr Griffith and Dr Moscon tried to restore animation, but without success.— The Jury returned a verdict of "Found drowned," and recommended that lamps should be placed on the dock.


From the Carmarthen Journal and South Wales Weekly Advertiser of Friday 14th March 1890:



FOUND IN THE DOCKS.—The body of Anthony Evans, of Pembroke, an army pensioner, employed on the fishing vessels Tom Bowling and Thomas Stratton [sic] as cook, and who had been discharged from the latter vessel when last seen, some five weeks ago, has been found in the docks much decomposed. At an inquest held on Tuesday the jury returned an open verdict.


Back to Other Registrations Q-Z