WILLIAM BELL LO201
Official No: 143811 Port and Year: London, 1919 (LO201)
Description: Castle Class steel side trawler; single screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged.
Crew: 11 men (1920).
Built: 1918, Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley. (Yard no. 385)
Tonnage: 290 grt 119 net.
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 125.5 / 23.6 / 12.7
Engine: T 3-Cyl. 60 rhp; by Amos & Smith, Hull
As WILLIAM BELL LO201
24 Dec 1919: The Admiralty, London.
Manager: The Secretary of the Admiralty, Whitehall, London SW1.
Dec 1919: The Mills Steamship Co. Ltd., 138 Leadenhall St., London E.C.3
Manager: Frederick B. O'Meara. (Same address: Dec 1919.)
Brand & Curzon, Docks, Milford. (From 17 Jan 1920 - 1937.)
15 Jan 1942: J. Marr & Son Ltd., Fleetwood.
Manager:Geoffrey Edwards Marr.
Landed at Milford: 28 Oct 1919; 17 Jan 1920 - 22 Dec 1930.
William Bell: six seamen of that name were at the Battle of Trafalgar; but possibly born in Whitehaven, age 20; OS (volunteer), HMS VICTORY, at Trafalgar.
17 Jan 1918: Launched for the Admiralty (no.3590) as WILLIAM BELL.
15 May 1918: Commissioned1 x 12pdr. Listening hydrophones. W/T.
1919: Sold to mercantile and retained same name.
Dec 1930: Laid up at Milford.
9 Jun 1940: Requisitioned by the Admiralty and converted to an auxiliary patrol vessel (P.No. FY.1727). 1 x 6pdr.
May 1941: Converted to a minesweeper; joined 110th Minesweeping Group at Grimsby.
Jun 1944: Based at Portsmouth, sweeping Channel during D-Day operations.
Dec 1944: Returned to Grimsby.
Jun 1945: Based at Portsmouth for sweeping the Channel and barge-towing from Portsmouth to Tilbury.
Feb 1946: Returned to owners.
Mar 1946: Broken up byWest of Scotland Shipbreaking Co. Ltd., Troon.
[Information kindly supplied by the Bosun's Watch website and the Fleetwood Maritime Heritage Trust.]
Back to Other Registrations Q-Z