Official No:  127406  Port Number and Year:  7th in Milford, 1909  

                                                                                  -  in Ostend, 1914 (O.143) 

Description: Steel side / beam trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail, mizzen.

Crew:  9 men (1909).

Registered at Milford: 2 Nov 1909

Built: 1909 by Dundee Ship Building Co.  (Yard no. 209)

Tonnage: 230.25 grt  87.75 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 120.3 / 22.1 / 11.8

Engine: T 3-cyl. 74 hp.   Engine: 1909, by W.V.V. Lidgerwood, Glasgow. Boiler 1909, by David Rowan & Co., Glasgow.




20 Nov 1909: John William Setterfield, 28 Greville Rd., Milford (64/64)

Managing owner / skipper.


As NEREE O.143

7 Mar 1914: H.P. Aspeslagh, Minque 21, Ostend


Landed at Milford:  As ATHALIA 2 Nov 1909 - 2 Mar 1914

As NEREE 20 Sep 1914 - 2 Mar 1916

Skippers: John William Setterfield, cert. 3670, age 37, born Ramsgate, residing 28 Greville Rd., Milford; signed on 11 Jan, 7 Jun 1910; 4 Jan, 7 Jul 1911; 6 Aug, 10 Oct 1912; 16 Jan 1913

J. Cutler 5311, 42, Yarmouth, - ; 6 Jul 1912;

E. Gibbs 7164, 33, Yarmouth, - ; 9 Jul 1912

E. Bracher 9269, 26, Yarmouth, - ; 5 Sep 1912

Thomas W. Leggett 7028, 38, Gorleston, - ; 29 Oct 1912


Athalia was the queen of Judah, c. 842–837 BC.

Neree is possibly a reference to Karel de Nerée, a Dutch author and artist, 1880-1909.

Mar 1916: Requisitioned by the Admiralty as a minesweeper (Adm. no. 3266).  1 x 6pdr A/A. (Special service)

1919: Returned to Belgian owners, renamed Soc. Anon. Pecheries Ostendaises.

26 Feb 1926: Sprang a leak and foundered. At the time she was reported lost 11 miles off Portland, but the wreck lies in 50° 25' north, 001° 45' west (south of Bournemouth). No loss of life. [Information kindly supplied by David Wendes.]  Crew rescued by the Belgian trawler PRINCE CHARLES of Ostend.  [The Times, 27th February 1926.]

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 7 Mar 1914.  Vessel sold to Belgian owner.

 Accidents and Incidents

From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 3rd November 1909:


    On Tuesday a very fine new trawler arrived, built by the Dundee Ship Building Company, for Captain J. Setterfield, and named the "Athalia".  One of the most modern of our trawlers, she is also one of the largest in the port, and a very handsome type of the fishing crafts.  Her maiden voyage of fish realised £85; it was not a very large catch.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 1st July 1910:




            Whilst on duty on the south side of Milford Dock, about five o'clock on Monday morning, Dock Police-constable Edwards saw the body of a man in the water. By means of a boat the constable brought the corpse to land and conveyed it to the mortuary. Being much decomposed it was almost impossible to make out the features, but from papers found in the dead man's pockets there seemed no doubt that the body was that of a young man named Vernon P. Stanton, one of the crew of the steam trawler which left Milford Haven on June 15th. About 9.30 p.m. on that date Stanton was seen by Police-sergeant Heber Evans to pass through the dock gates as though to make for the Athalia. The fact that the body was discovered near where the vessel was berthed seems to indicate that the poor fellow slipped into the water whilst attempting to get aboard. Stanton, who was only 21 years of age and a native of Leamington, had lived at Milford for about eighteen months, and was well-known as a respectable fellow. Latterly he had been staying at the John Cory Rest.

            At the inquest on Wednesday by the South Pembrokeshire Coroner, Mr. Herbert J. E. Price, Dock-sergeant Heber Evans said he last saw deceased alive at 9.15 on the evening of June 15th, going in the direction of his ship, the Athalia, at the end of the Dock.

            The Coroner: Was there any regulation as to how men were to get aboard the trawlers?

            Witness: Only a ladder. This ship did not have one. Deceased borrowed one to come ashore.

            P.C. Edwards deposed to recovering the body on Monday morning at 4.45.

            Dr. Walker said the body had probably been in the water about a fortnight. There were no marks of violence, but the exposed parts had been eaten by fish.

            The Coroner said they had had a number of similar cases from the docks, and he thought some regulation should be framed that each ship should have a ladder for the safety of the men in boarding their vessels.

            A verdict of "Found drowned" was returned.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 16th September 1914:


Good News for Milford Haven.

    We are pleased to say that the information we were able to give with regard to the arrival of Belgian trawlers at Milford Haven, has been more than fulfilled for the twelve which we stated were likely to come have been considerably augmented. Steam trawlers from Ostend have arrived daily during the past week, and when the last arrives there will be something like twenty-six boats trading out of Milford Haven. Amongst the number are three old Milford trawlers which have come "back home." These are the St. Clears, St. Bride's and Athalia. The whole fleet represents five different firms, and all are under the management of Mr David Pettit, steam trawler owner and manager. The boats are all very fine craft, are thoroughly equipped, and are noted for large catches. At present most of them appear to be on the herring grounds, but ere long will have to go in pursuit of bake. The names of the vessels and firms are:—

    M. Londres, Ostend: Lucienne Jeanne, Odetta, Nadine;

    Jules Baels, Ostend: Baron Ruzitte, Koning Albert, Comte Horace Van Den Burgh;

    J. Vaels Manrica; Ame Belgides, Ostend: Ouse;

    J. Bamvens, Ostend: Emmanuel, President Stevens, Marielle, Gaby, Jokn, Ibis, Marie Louise, Jacqueline;

    Aspelagh, Ostend: Narval, Naiade, Neptune, with others due at any time.

    The arrival of these boats have been a positive God-send, and as they will remain till the war is over the market is in for a good time after all as the absent mine-sweepers have been replaced. This is not all, for there is a report that about a dozen more Grimsby trawlers are due for Messrs Sellick, Morley & Price's management. Mr Price would not confirm the report to our representative, but the fact that one boat, the Crosby, has just arrived points to corroboration of the rumour. There is increased danger in the North Sea and a number of trawlers are now at Fleetwood, and sooner or later Milford is bound to share. The four mission smacks of the R.N.M. to Deep Sea Fishermen from the East Coast have already arrived at Milford Haven for the same reason. They are the Euston (Capt. Sneell), Ashton (Capt. Darrant), T. B. Miller (Capt. Page), and Alice Fisher (Capt. Lake). The Mission steam trawler Joseph and Sarah Miles," has gone to Fleetwood.


[Paragraphing added.]


Log book entries:



Twenty miles south west of the Longships.

Shipped a sea, washing boat away and damaging wheelhouse - cause, rough sea.

    John Wm. Setterfield (Skipper)



Collided with steam trawler "Calypso" of Milford when coming out of dock, cutting a plate on starboard quarter of "Calypso", no damage by this vessel.

    John Wm. Setterfield (Skipper)




Back to Trawlers 1888-1914