Official No:  102978   Port and Year:  Brixham, 1896

Description: Wooden fishing smack. Ketch rig.

Crew:  3 men.

Built: Robert Jackman, Brixham, 1894

Tonnage:  45 grt 

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 112.3  / 21.6 / 10.9

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 54 rhp.  (Reported to have been fitted with a tug engine; capable of 13 kts.)  Amos & Smith, Hull. [Not as such recorded in MNL, 1895-1918.]



1894: Robert Jackman (Jnr.), 9 Belle View Tce., Brixham.

Managing owner.

28 Nov 1905: Richard E. White, Milford.

Managing owner.

16 Dec 1912: John White, 'Kimberley Hotel',  Milford.


Landed at Milford:  26 Sep - 13 Nov 1894;  17 Mar 1896 - 31 Jan 1915; 15 May 1917 - 17 Apr 1918



Bee Orchis is a variant spelling of the orchid which bears a resemblance to bees, flies or other insects.

Listed in MNL 1918; not in 1919.

 Accidents and Incidents

From the Brixham Heritage Sailing Trawlers Archive:


15 miles S.E. of St Ann's Light, was held up having fouled her trawl when she was run into by DH 446 "Diligence".


From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 10th December 1909:



Milford Haven Fishing Smacks in Collision.

The tremendous gale which prevailed over the latter part of last week caused slates to be removed off the roofs of houses, trees to be uprooted, and numerous other accidents of this kind. Many families stayed up all night because of the danger incurred by the falling slates. There were also many anxious hearts amongst those who had friends or relatives on the sea, which, even in the harbour, was in a turmoil.


The smack "Beeorchis" [sic] owned by Mr. R. White of this town, collided with a buoy in the river and did considerable damage to her stern. The smacks “Claudine" of Brixham, and the “Triumph” of this port, were both caught in the gale and were very much damaged. The “Triumph” lost her anchors and chains beside other damage.


From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 18th February 1910:



It is reported that three fishermen, the captain, and two other members of the crew of the Milford smack "Beeorchis" [sic], owned by Mr. Richard White, narrowly escaped with their lives in an open boat on Tuesday evening. The "Beeorchis" was at anchor in the river when early in the evening the men came ashore in a small boat. By the time they wished to return a strong wind had arisen and blew strongly up over the beach. Nevertheless they launched their small boat, and tried to row to the smack, but the head-wind proved to strong. They pulled with might and main, but could make no headway, and their little craft was driven backwards on towards the beach. By this time the wind had risen to a gale, and the sea was in a great turmoil. In spite of their efforts their boat became unmanageable, and was dashed on to the beach and considerably damaged.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 23rd December 1910:



    In a more detailed account, our Milford correspondent writes:—

    The terrific gale which prevailed last Thursday and Friday wrought tremendous havoc on land and sea. Not since the year 1886 has such a terrible storm occurred on the coasts of Pembrokeshire. The sea was in an awful fury, and presented a sight terrible to behold.

    The destruction on land was great, but nothing to compare with that which has wrought on sea. An enormous amount of damage occurred amongst the shipping, but saddest of all is the loss of life.

    The storm began to rise early on Thursday morning, and by noon had increased greatly.



    Quite a gloom was cast over fishing circles when the news became known that the skipper and mate, R. Foster and C. Stokes, of the Milford smack "Friendship" had been washed overboard and drowned at sea. The smacks "Gratitude" and "Verusa" later fell in with the "Friendship" and towed her to Brixham. Everything portable had been washed off the decks but the two apprentice boys on the vessel were rescued. The fishing smack "Beeorchis" [sic] collided with the smack "Curlew," of Brixham, causing extensive damage to the rail and covering board of the latter. The "Beeorchis" was also considerably damaged. Numerous other vessels received minor damages and there are others which were out during the storm but have not yet reported themselves.



        From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 22nd February 1911:


    On Saturday night, the smack "Bee Orchis", owned by Mr R. White, came into dock with the mate, Mr James McLean, suffering from severe injuries.  Whilst at sea the previous midnight, in very stormy weather, the pawl breaking caused the handle of the winch to fly back.  McLean unfortunately was engaged on the spot and was struck with great force on the head and shoulders.  He was removed unconscious and remained in that state for several hours, and the skipper made for port with all possible speed.

    On arrival, the injured man was taken in the Dock's ambulance to his home in Brooke Avenue, and was attended by Doctor T. B. P. Davies, who had to insert seven stitches in McLean's head.




Back to Other Registrations A-H