Les Jones Archive

Official No:  99557     Port Number and Year:  6th in Hull, 1892  (H188)

                                                                               2nd in Milford, 1906 (M194)

                                                                                   -  in Gothenberg, 1911 (GG188)

Description: Iron side / beam trawler; twin screw ketch; coal burner; two masts - mainsail and mizzen.

Crew: 9 men (1892, 1906.)

Registered at Milford: 13 Mar 1903

Built: Cochrane, Hamilton, Cooper and Schofield, Grove Hill Shipyard, Beverley, Yorks, in 1892.  (Yard no. 62)

Tonnage: 152.59 grt 61.74 net > 152.6 grt  58.75 net (Alteration of tonnages 27 Jul 1906)

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 101.0 / 20.5 / 11.0

Engine: C 2-Cyl. 40 nhp. 9.0 kts.  Engine: 1891, fitted 1899; Hepple & Co., N. Shields



As H188

10 Feb 1892: John Holmes, Neptune St., Hull.

Managing owner.


16 Dec 1893: Robert Hodgson, 19 Parliament St., Hull.

Managing owner.


31 Aug 1895: Frederick Joseph Sellick,  'Marine Villa', Murray Cres., Milford.

Managing owner.


22 Jan 1896: Frederick Robert Greenish, 'The Grange', Haverfordwest.

Manager: Frederick Joseph Sellick,  'Marine Villa', Murray Cres., Milford. (1896-c.1903)

                Sydney M. Price, Murray Cres., Milford. (c.1903-11.)

As M194: 13 Mar 1906.



9 Mar 1911:  Gadus Fabriker, Gothenburg, Sweden



Sep 1915: Häller & Odenberg, Gothenburg.


Feb 1916: K.G. Belfrage & Co., Stockholm


18 Mar 1916: Filip Marinego, Rome.

As ZANNONE (Minesweeper)

12 Apr 1916: Regina Marina (Italian Navy)


[Information kindly supplied by Göran Olsson, Gothenburg, Sweden.]

Landed at Milford:  12 Sep 1895 - 4 Dec 1898; 15 Jun 1899 - 29 Apr 1910


Edgar Garnham  cert. 1571, 12 Sep - 28 Oct 1895.

Wm. Holder 0964; 1 Nov - 29 Dec 1895

Thomas (?);  1 Jan - 3 Mar 1896

Fredk. Hardisty 1891;  Mar 1896 - 20 Jan 1897.

G. Smart 2005; 28 Feb - 8 Nov 1897.

Thos. Wm. Leggett (7028); 12 Nov 1897 - 5 Sep 1898

Settersfield (?); 12 Sep - 4 Dec 1898

John Stroud, cert 02471, age 42, born Ramsgate; signed on 15 Jul 1899-1905

James Clark 3685, 41, Hull; 1 Jan 1906

A. Taylor 5782, 33, Grimsby; 30 May 1906

Arthur A. Taylor - , 37, - ; 3 Jul 1906; 7 Jan 1907

W.G. Payne 2972, 39 Scarborough; 22 Jun, 1 Jul 1907

B.H. Yolland 7981, 27, Brixham; 23 Aug 1907

Henry Milford 8298, 41, Torquay; 7 Jan 1908

W. Smith 7150, 35, Nottingham; 22 Jan 1908

M. Mingay 4968, 36, Caistor; 6 Mar 1908

James Gale 1771, 48, Hull; 12 May 1908

J. Chaney 6638, 33, Winterton; 10 Jul 1908

F. Limbrick 8019, 22, Brixham; 9 Sep 1908; 11 Jan 1909

John H. Pettit 7106, 26, Hull; 31 Aug 1909

W. Griffiths 7810, 29, Milford; 18 Nov 1909

William Pearce 8187, 30, Bradford; 11 Jan 1910

Francis Folland 7982, 31, Plymouth; 12 Feb 1910

J. Elliott Alward 6976, 32, Brixham; 18 Feb 1911


A Bluejacket was a term for an RN Jack after 1858, when the first blue cloth double-breasted jacket was introduced as uniform. Before that, Jack was simply a "Tar", by the tarpaulin cloth worn at sea. (Jolly R. [1989]: "Jackspeak".)

The only Milford registered trawler to have twin screws.

May 1894: Seized by the German government and taken into Wilhelmshaven on 27th April, charged as having been fishing within the three mile limit.  Her skipper, James Sorensen, denied the charge, but was imprisoned for two months.  [The Yorkshire Herald, 5th and 22nd May 1894.]

13 Apr 1906: Boiler explosion. (See log book entry and newspaper article below.)

May 1910 - Feb 1911: Laid up at Milford.

1919: Vessel removed from Lloyds Register of Shipping. Probable war loss.

[Lofthouse T., Mayes G., Newton D., & Thompson M. (2012): Cochrane Shipbuilders Vol.1:

1884 - 1914.]

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed:

"Certificate Cancelled and Registry closed 4th March 1911.  Vessel sold to Foreigners (Swedish Subjects).  Advice received from Owners.  J. W. Crocker. Reg."

 Accidents and Incidents

Log book entries:



At sea.

T. Davies, First Engineer, age 29, born Neyland, Wales, residing Milford; scalded by boiler explosion, 50 miles SW of St. Ann's.  Wind light northerly, weather hazy, boiler disabled, taken in tow by the steam drifter 'Eager' [sic i.e. EAGLE] of Lowestoft at 8.00.  Arrived off Milford Docks 4.10 p.m.

    James Clark (Skipper)

    F.B. Rees (Witness)

[ See local newspaper report below.]



Whilst fishing off Mine Head on March 12th 1907, we caught our gear on a wreck and came fast, and while heaving up our gear we came round on the lee tack, and our gear caught the propeller, which made us unmanageable.  Seeing that we could not clear it we called for assistance, and the steam trawler 'Fuchsia' of Milford took us in tow, arriving at Milford March 2nd.  Distance towed 80 miles.

    Arthur Taylor (Skipper)



WSW 30 miles from St. Ann's Head.

Ship's boat washed away - cause - shipped heavy sea.

    Robert Major Limbrick (Skipper)

    T. Hackett (Mate)



Vessel sold to foreigners (Swedes).

It is hereby understood that [for] the run to Gothenburg, Sweden, the crew shall consist of six hands all told and their remuneration shall be as set out against their respective names.  It is also agreed that the owners defray the cost of their passages home to Milford or Hull, as desired.

    James Elliot Alward (Skipper)



From The Evening Express of Tuesday 29th December 1896:



    A Milford Haven telegram states that the machinery of the steam trawler Blue Jacket broke down off Thorne Island. The vessel drifted on the rocks, but was towed off by the steam trawler CIytie. The latter sustained damage to her stem, and her ropes and warps were damaged.



From an unknown local newspaper, possibly the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 21st August 1901:


    The trawler "Blue Jacket" arrived on Saturday night and reported that one of the hands, a native of Haverfordwest, had become affected in the head during the voyage.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 20th April 1906:




EXPLOSION AT SEA.— On Good Friday morning the steam trawler "Bluejacket" was towed into Milford Haven by the mackerel drifter "Eagle". The "Blue Jacket" left Milford Docks on Thursday week last for the fishing grounds, and after proceeding about 50 miles from St. Anne's Head the chief engineer, Mr Thomas Davies, had occasion examine the boiler and effect the repair of a joint. He went on deck for an airing, and immediately he returned to the engine room a terrible explosion took place, the boiler having burst, inflicting serious injuries to Mr Davies, scalding him severely, especially on the chest, neck and hands. Fortunately his face was saved a good deal by his presence of mind in covering his eyes with his hands. Captain J. Clarke did all in his power to alleviate the sufferings of his engineer by the application of oil, etc., and hoisted signals of distress. As stated the drifter "Eagle" bore down upon them and towed the vessel into port, the injured man being conveyed to his home in Warwick Road. He is also suffering from severe shock, but is progressing as favourably as can be expected.   



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 13th February 1907:


    At 4.30 on Saturday afternoon, the steam trawler "Blue Jacket" (Sellick, Morley and Price) left Milford for the fishing grounds.  On approaching Stack Rock Fort, an empty boat was observed, and was picked up and taken aboard.  The "Blue Jacket" then returned to port.  Mr. M. Lewis, boat owner, identified the boat as belonging to James Gwyther, a rabbit catcher of Angle.  A wire was despatched to that place, informing Gwyther of the fact of the finding of the craft.  On Sunday his son came over, and also identified the boat, and stated that his father left in it at 4 o'clock on Saturday afternoon, with the object of proceeding to Dale.  Gwyther, it is feared, has by some means been drowned.  He was a man of about 50 years of age.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 20th November 1908:



    At the end of last week there was a rumour that the trawler "Blue Jacket" had been lost with all hands. The rumour fortunately proved to have been unfounded, for the vessel arrived in Milford on Sunday night. However, by some means the ship lost its boat, the finding of which probably led to the origination of the rumour.



From the South Wales Daily Post, Saturday 29th January 1910:




        News has been received at Milford Haven that a large steamer of about 4,000 tons was drifting, apparently derelict, off the Pembrokeshire Coast. When sighted the vessel was about twelve miles from St. Govan's Head. Acting upon a telegram received from Cardiff by a firm of trawler owners, the steam trawler Bluejacket was despatched late on Thursday night in search of the derelict.

        News was anxiously awaited at Milford Docks on Friday, but up to late in the evening nothing further had been heard. It is believed that the steamer is the Swansea trader Trevorian, of St. Ives, reported as having been seen drifting off Ushant on the 25th inst.



From the Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 15th February 1911:


    At the Lord Nelson on Wednesday afternoon Messrs. Evans and Roach put up a number of trawlers and other vessels for sale by auction.  There was a large attendance of gentlemen connected with local shipping.

    Three iron screw steam trawlers, which in their day have helped in the rise of Milford as a fishing port, were offered under instructions from the executors of the late Mr. Frederick Joseph Sellick. The "Comus", built in 1891, 96.5 ft. length x 20.3 ft. breadth, received a commencing bid of £100, but went no further than £275, and was withdrawn.  The "Circe", built in 1892, 100.5 ft. length x 20.4 ft. breadth, was started at £300, rising to £500, and then withdrawn.  The "Blue Jacket", built 1896, 101.0 ft. x 20.5 ft., was also started at £300, and looked like changing hands, but the reserve was not reached and she was withdrawn at £620. 

    The steam trawler "Rosslyn Castle" was next on offer.  She is owned by Messrs. William Jenkins, R. D. James, Ford, Mathias and I. Jenkins, and was built in 1897, tonnage 184, length 112 ft., beam 21 ft.  Only one bid of £150 was forthcoming, and the vessel was withdrawn.


From the Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 22nd February 1911:


    The steam trawlers "Comus", "Blue Jacket" and "Circe" (Sellick, Morley and Price, managers), which were recently offered by public auction, have since been sold privately to Swedish trawling people.  The first two left the Dock on Monday morning's tide, and took farewell to the port after a connection of twenty years for one, and fifteen years for the other.  Their destination is Gottenburg.  They have been laid up for some time.  The "Circe" will make for the same place after landing her catch this week.

    The steam trawler "Reliance", owned by Mr. J. G. Cayley, has also changed hands, and in future she will fly the French flag.  She left on Tuesday for the port of Dieppe.

    Messrs. Sellick, Morley and Price have two new vessels on order, so that the old are being replaced by better and more up-to-date vessels.



Back to Trawlers 1888-1914