Kindly supplied by Jan Harteveld

Official No: 98378  Port Number and Year:  4th in Milford, 1892 (M90)

                                                                              -   in Ymuiden, 1904 (IJM.106)

Description: Iron side / beam trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: 2 masts; mainsail and mizzen.

Crew:  9 men (1892).

Registered at Milford: 6 Apr 1892

Built: 1892, by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons, South Shields.  (Yard no. 138 )

Tonnage: 152.59 grt  38.47 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet):100.5 / 20.5 / 10.75

Engine: T 3-cyl. 50 hp.   Engine and boiler by builders



6 Apr 1892: Cornelius Cecil Morley, 'Springfield',  Portlaw, Co.Waterford.

William Goff Davis-Goff, Glenville, Co.Waterford.

Manager: Frederick J. Sellick, Marine Villa, Murray Cres., Milford.


9 Mar 1903: Southern Steam Trawlers Co., 127 Quay, Waterford, Ireland.

(Messrs. Sellick, Morley and Price, Milford Docks.)

Manager: Cornelius Cecil Morley, "Cnocaitiun"*, Milford.  

(*Probably "Cnoc Áine" , Co. Limerick: "Aine's Hill". )



22 Nov 1904: N.V. Zeevisscherij Mij. "Zeeland"

Manager: C. Planteydt Nz.



1908: Zeevisscherij Mij. "Batavier I-II"

Managers: S.C.L. Reygersberg, Tubbesing & Fennel.


Landed at Milford:  13 Apr 1892 - 30 Jul 1904


John Foreman cert. no. 05579, age 30, born Kent; signed on 17 Mar 1892

George Cook 0281, 30, Hull; 24 Mar, 5 Jul 1892; 11 Jan 1893

David Pettit 6943, 31, Essex; 5 Jul , 16 Jul 1893

A. Whittleton 02745, 39, Yarmouth; 8 Jul 1893

J. Turner 2948, 26, Leeds; 1 Sep 1893; 4 Jan, 5 Jul 1894

G.T. Cobley 2021, 29, Hull; 5 Jan, 20 Jul 1898; 2 Jan 1899

L. Lewis 1022, 39, London; 22 Feb 1898

R. Robson 5086, 25, Scarborough, residing 6 Warwick Rd., Milford; 18 May,14 Jul 1899

H. Hills 3190, 29, Ramsgate; 1 Jan, 2 Jul 1901; 2 Jan, 1 Jul 1902; 1 Jan 1903

George Masters 5545, 33, London, 21 Jan, 6 Jul 1903; 11 Jan 1904

James Hewitt 4091, 36, Yarmouth; 27 Feb 1904

Mark William Mingay 4968, 32, Yarmouth; 13 Nov 1904


Boronia is an Australian aromatic shrub.

30 May - 30 Jun 1904:  Laid up.

29 Jan 1914: Stranded off Wyjk aan Zee; total loss.

[ Information on Dutch owners kindly supplied by Jan Harteveld. ]

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 22 Nov 1904. Vessel sold to Dutch owners.

 Accidents and Incidents

From The Cardiff Times of Saturday 26th November 1892:


Narrow Escape of the Crew.

    Early on Tuesday morning the steam trawler Boronia, when going into the dock at Milford Haven, collided with the schooner Kate Annie, of Fowey, laden with coal, lying at anchor in the Haven opposite the docks. The crew of the schooner had all retired to their berths when the collision took places and it was with great difficulty the captain was extricated from his berth. After great exertion by the crew, they succeeded in extricating him from his dangerous position, and they were taken off their ship by the Boronia and landed at the docks, where they were provided with clothing by Mr J. Sellick. steam trawler manager. The schooner went down in about twenty minutes after being struck. The crew lost everything they bad on board, and were sent to Cardiff the same morning.


Log book entry:

Tuesday, November 22nd.  Ran into, about 6 a.m., a small schooner and sank her in Milford Harbour, while we were taking the dock.  Crew of schooner all saved.

    G. Cook (Skipper)


From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph, Wednesday 7th December 1892:


The schooner 'Kate and Anne', which was run into and sunk by the steam trawler 'Boronia' on the 22nd ult., was on Saturday last successfully raised and towed to Pill Point and beached.  The contractors who raised the vessel were Messrs. W. H. Tucker and Co., Bute Docks, Cardiff.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 17th May 1893:  


    The fishing smack "Conservative", owned by Mr. Wolfe, became a wreck on Saturday morning.  The boat left the dock on the 6th inst., all going well until 2 a.m. on Saturday morning, when the second hand, who was on deck, felt the vessel strike something.  No particular notice was taken of it at the time, but shortly after, it was discovered that the vessel was making water.  All hands were at the pumps, but as the water came in with such rapidity, they had to take to the boats.  The crew were brought in by the s.s. "Boronia" on Saturday night.  The weather was moderately fine as regards the wind, but there was a heavy swell and a dense fog, and the vessel struck about 15 miles south east by east of the Smalls.



From the West Wales Guardian, Friday 29th June 1894:


    On Saturday morning, in dense fog, the steam trawler 'Boronia', belonging to the Western Trawler Company, [was] proceeding down the Haven, when, after passing Stack Rock Fort, one of the crew was missed.  A diligent search was at once instituted, with the result that William Thomas, coal trimmer, was found to be missing.  It is thought he fell overboard.


From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph, Wednesday 8th August 1894:


RECOVERY OF A BODY.― The body of William Thomas, who was [ ? ] from the steam trawler "Boronia" on the 23rd June last, has been recovered at Angle.  The circumstances attending the man's death are as follows:―  He was engaged as coal trimmer on the 'Boronia', and six weeks ago from Saturday last, when the vessel was in the vicinity of the Stack Rock, was engaged in emptying baskets of ashes overboard, when he and the baskets were missed, it being assumed that the deceased overbalanced and fell overboard.  An extensive search to find the body at the time proved unsuccessful.  The body, owing to the length of time it had been submerged, was in a fearful state of decomposition, the features being unrecognisable, and identification was arrived at by articles of clothing he was wearing.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph, Wednesday 3rd August 1898:



    Capt. Setterfield, of the trawler "Bluejacket"; Capt. Alfred Barrett, of the trawler "Alert"; and Capt. Edward Leeder, of the trawler "Boronia," were charged with attempting to enter Milford Docks at a time when the entry signals on the flagstaff were lowered.

    The defendants did not appear.

    Mr W. G. Eaton-Evans appeared to prosecute. He said under the Milford Docks Act of 1874 the defendants were liable to a penalty not exceeding £ 20. On the 4th of July, Barret and Setterfield committed the offence complained of. In racing into the docks they might have brought the dock gates on the top of them, which would have crushed their vessels, and let all the water out of the docks. The damage would have amounted to many hundred thousand pounds. The offence by Leeder was on the 18th of July.

    William Joseph James, dock-master, stated that he was on duty about 4.15 on the morning of July 4th. There were eight trawlers outside, including the Alert and Bluejacket. Just before the gates were opened the Bluejacket lay in the position for entering first, but as soon as there was daylight the Alert started off full speed ahead, and the Bluejacket did the same. By the time they got to the gates the Alert had overtaken the Bluejacket and there were only a few feet between them. They did not keep the flag down one second more than was necessary. If the gates were injured so they could not use them then all the water ran out of the docks. There was a fancied benefit on getting into the docks first. It was imagined that the vessels which arrived at the market first sometimes got a better price. There was a lot of chasing round the harbour, but in the majority of cases it was by the young and inexperienced captains. On the 18th of July he saw the Boronia racing into the docks in the same way. He hailed the captain to be careful what he was about. The gates were only half open, and the flag was not up.

    Mr Evans asked for a serious penalty.

    Dr. Griffith said those were the first cases that had been brought before them, and as they considered the offence very serious the three defendants would be fined £1 each and costs. If any similar cases were brought before them again the fines would be very different.

    Mr Evans said according to the Act the fines were to be handed over to the Company.

    Dr. Griffith: I hope to some charitable purpose.

    Mr Evans: They intend doing that, sir.

    Dr. Griffith: The Police Superannuation Fund.



Other log book entries:



Isle of Man bearing E 12 miles, steam ship 'Indrapura' of Liverpool, damaged trawl warpsCarelessness in my opinion, bad lookout on other vessel, never reversed engine.

    G. Cook (Skipper)


(See also newspaper article below.)



Bay of Biscay.

Broke winch and had to cut away the gear, heavy seas.

    G. Masters (Skipper)



Having broken driving shaft of winch, have been forced to go to La Rochelle for repairs. To keep the fish is impossible as it will all get spoilt, therefore am obliged to sell it.

    G. Masters (Skipper)





Back to Trawlers 1888-1914