Official No:  93107      Port Number and Year:  16th in Hull, 1887 (H17)

                                                                                    -    in Bristol, 1890 (BL2)

Description: Side / beam trawler, iron; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail and mizzen.

Crew: 10

Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull,  in 1887.  (Yard no. 19)

Tonnage:135 grt  62 net

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 97 / 20.6 / 11

Engine: C 2-Cyl. 40 rhp.  Charles David Holmes & Co., Hull



As H17

15 Apr 1887: Charles Hellyer, 2 Richelieu Cres., Boulevard, Hull.


As BL2

13 Dec 1889: Western Steam Trawling Co., Bristol

Manager: Frederick John Sellick, 'Marine Villa', Murray Cres., Milford



1912: Fisker Aktien Avance, Gothenburg, Sweden


Landed at Milford:  19 Dec 1889 - 28 Dec 1911

Skippers: 1889: Foster

1890: Ebbesen

1891: Leyland; Limbrick; Cook

1892: Foreman; Dove; Howe; Cook

1893: Turner

1894: Smith; Davies; Farren

1895: Gray; Farrin

1896: Gray; Foreman; Holder

1897: Clarke

1898: Clarke; Barnes

1899: Barnes; Bennett; Huddlestone

1900: Huddlestone; Wales; Robson; Bradnum

1901: Bradnum; Wales; Smith; Windlass

1902: Bradnum; Hewer

1903: Bradnum; Hewer; Reynolds

1904: Reynolds; Rich

1905: Rich; Smith; Rich

1906: Smith

Notes: 1919: Broken up in Italy.

 Accidents and Incidents

From the  Glasgow Herald  of Thursday 10th November 1892:


A telegram from Milford Haven states that the steam trawler Bournemouth, whilst coaling in dock on Tuesday, filled with water in consequence of seacock being left open.  She was towed over to a shallow part of the dock and the stem part is now resting on the bottom in about 15ft. of water.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 22nd September 1893:


lost her gear.― The steam trawler "Bournemouth", which has on several previous occasions had similar misfortunes, has again lost a set of trawling-gear.



From the Daily News  of Friday 31st March 1899:




    A Milford Haven correspondent telegraphs that he has examined the bundle of documents which were dredged up in the net by the Milford Haven trawler Bournemouth, near Carlingford Lough, on the Irish coast.  He is of opinion that they are office copies of certain cases tried in the Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice in Ireland.  One document relates to an action between Eliza Fisher and others, as plaintiffs, and Christopher Hume Lauder and others as defendants.  Other documents mention the names of Mr. A. F. Baker; solicitor for plaintiff, and Mr. E. G. Foley, solicitor for the defendants.  There is also a record number, 1879, 1636, in the matter of William Sydney, Earl of Leitrim, deceased.  The papers are very much damaged by saturation, but some are fully intact.



From the Western Mail of Monday 13th November 1899:




    Carew Castle, steam trawler, towed Milford by trawler Bournemouth with boiler tubes leaking badly.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 16th October 1901:


    A fisherman named George Flack, single, aged 25 years, a native of Grimsby, was brought up in custody at a special magistrate's court at Milford on Wednesday, charged on a warrant with having maliciously and unlawfully committed damage to the steam trawler "Bournemouth", belong to the Bristol Channel Steam Trawling Company, on the previous night. 

    Flack, who was in drink, was put on board at half past eleven by the dock police, and half an hour later the ship's cabin was discovered to be on fire, and a bed and clothes belonging to the second engineer was in flames.  With the prompt assistance of the nightwatchman, Daniel Hercomb, and Charles Thomas, one of the "Bournemouth's" crew, who fist discovered the outbreak, the bedding and other clothing was thrown overboard and the fire extinguished.

    On further examination of the ship, it was found that prisoner had also turned on fully the taps of two large tanks, one containing paraffin oil, and the other Indian oil, which ran in all directions over the ship.  At the time the wind was blowing a strong breeze and there were, on account of the recent gale, scores of vessels lying close at hand in Milford Docks.

    Flack was remanded in custody to Carmarthen gaol until today.


From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 20th February 1903:



The "Bournemouth", a Milford trawler, has towed into St Nazare with her tail shaft broken, the injury having been sustained whilst lining in the Bay of Biscay. She was towed in by the "Fuschia,' another Milford trawler, which brought her catch of fish a good one to Milford. 


From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 9th May 1906:


    The steam trawler "Bournemouth" arrived at Milford on Sunday, and reported having successfully towed a large steamer, the SS "Antenor", of Liverpool, off the beach near Marloes early that morning.

    On Saturday night a dense fog came over the channel and enveloped the whole district.  In the mist, the "Antenor" ran ashore, and the "Bournemouth", skipper F. Smith, subsequently went to her aid.  Two ropes were fastened, and two were snapped, in the attempt to get the imperilled vessel off.  On the third attempt, their efforts were successful, and the huge craft was safely floated, and was able to continue her voyage.

    The "Antenor" is of about 3,000 tons, and was bound from LIverpool to Newport (Wales).


From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 11th July 1906:


    On Tuesday in the Admiralty Division, Mr. Justice Bargrave Deane, sitting with Trinity Masters, had before them a claim by the owners and crew of the "Bournemouth", a steam trawler from Milford Haven, and registered in Bristol, also a claim by Thomas Sturley, a Milford Haven fisherman, for salvage remuneration in respect of services rendered to the Liverpool steamship "Antenor", off the coast of Pembrokeshire on May 6th last.

    According to the Plaintiff's case the vessel was lying at anchor at Milford Haven at noon on the day in question, when those on board were informed by the plaintiff, Sturley, that the "Antenor" was ashore in Marloes or Gateholm Bay, which is about three miles to the northward of St. Ann's Head. 

    Notwithstanding that there was a dense fog, the trawler, with Sturley on board, proceeded to the "Antenor", and found her lying among the breakers on the north side of Gateholm Bay.  It appeared that she had got into that position early in the day during the foggy weather, while bound from Liverpool to New York. 

    The trawler made fast to the "Antenor" and eventually, it was alleged, dragged her into a position in which she was able to use her own engines, and about 4 p.m., she was brought off the ground.

    In defence it was denied that the "Antenor" was ever in danger.  Her value was 20,000.  The hearing was adjourned.


From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 18th July 1906:


    The hearing was continued on the above action, and His Lordship in giving judgement said the "Antenor" was in a very awkward position, and but for the local knowledge of the assistance rendered by the Salvors, she would have sustained very much more damage that she did, and if she had remained there for another 24 hours she might have gone to pieces,

    In the circumstances, he should award the Plaintaiffs 1,500. 

    Judgement accordingly, with costs.


[ There were five vessels of the name ANTENOR in the Blue Funnel fleet of Alfred Holt & Co.; the second of that name was built in 1896, and was of 5,531 tons. ]



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 11th December 1907:


    Terrible weather has been experienced at sea these last few days, but up to the present there is fortunately no loss of life reported locally. .....

On Monday night, the steam trawler  "Bournemouth" came in.  Her small boat had been lifted from the stanchions and smashed by the waves breaking over the vessel. ..........



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 2nd February 1910:


    Local trawlers are having unprecedented experiences this winter out in the Atlantic.  ...  [ See INDIA. ]

    On Saturday, the steam trawler "Bournemouth" (Sellick, Morley and Price) arrived back in dock.  She too, had encountered an enormous wave, which struck her with such force that the front part of the wheelhouse was smashed in and damage sustained on the deck.  Captain Jack Pettit (junior) stated that they had had a trying time. .....



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 29th July 1910:




    The trawlers which arrived at Milford Docks on Sunday and Monday morning reported having encountered fearful weather on their way home from the western fishing grounds. Wind and sea were terrific in their violence, and often the vessels were tossed about so violently that disaster was feared. As it was they were fortunate in escaping the gale with only two casualties.

    On the steam trawler Bournemouth a trimmer, named Charles Perry, an elderly man, was badly hurt. He had stepped on to a casing in order to adjust a ventilator, when the lurching of the vessel, there being a heavy sea running at the time, caused him to lose his foothold. He rolled off the casing on to the deck, where he collapsed with a dislocated ankle. On the arrival of the ship at Milford Perry was attended to and conveyed to his home at Neyland in the ambulance car. William Smith, mate of the steam liner Cuckoo, had a narrow escape. When some distance out at sea, one of those gigantic waves for which the Atlantic is noted, broke over the vessel. For the crew it was a case of hanging on to the nearest available support. Smith made an attempt to grasp one of the wire stays, but was unable to do so in time, and he was dashed to the deck, striking his head with considerable force. He was rendered unconscious, and for a time was in imminent danger.  On being picked up he was found to have to have sustained severe injury. Fortunately it was not very long before the Cuckoo arrived home, and Smith was attended to. On Monday he was reported to be making satisfactory progress.



From the Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 22nd March 1911:


    The "Dartmouth", a steam trawler which some years ago was converted for the purpose of long lining, has been sold privately by Messrs. Sellick, Morley and Price to Mr. John Grand and Charles Davies for 800.  Other old trawlers such as the "Avonmouth", "Bournemouth" and "Exmouth" are, we believe, in the market for selling, and will be disposed of to make room for more up-to-date craft under the firm's management.



From the Irish Times of Saturday 30th September 1911:


Trawler's race for the shore.- An exciting race for life took place off Berehaven, on Sunday, when the crew of the Bristol trawler Bournemouth found the vessel foundering in a heavy sea many miles from the land.  The Bournemouth is the property of Messrs. Sellick, Price and Morley, of Milford Haven, and is captained by Mr. Peter Ebbesen.  She is a large vessel, and had on board a valuable cargo of fish for the English markets.  She had been trawling far off during the afternoon, and as the men were getting the gear aboard, the forward "otter board" (a huge iron board affair which is run out at either end of the trawler) came into violent contact with the vessel's side beneath the waterline. None of the crew suspected any damage till a seaman, going below a few minutes afterwards, discovered water pouring in through a gaping hole about three feet wide forward of the "ice hold".  The pumps were put to work, while the vessel was headed for Berehaven, but it was found that the water gained despite the men's desperate efforts, and little hope was held out for reaching the harbour safely.  They arrived safely, however, but as the trawler came through the basin entrance, her bows were visibly sinking, while her propellers, which were still working feebly, had barely a driving hold in the water.  Her skipper ran her straight for the nearest beach, but when still some distance off her head went down sharply, leaving her propellers beating the empty air.  At high water she lies decks awash off the old pier.  The state of some of the crew who manned the pumps, and pluckily managed to keep the vessel's head above water till she reached the port, was pitiable.



Back to Other Registrations A-H