Official No:  112456    Port Number and Year: 8th in Milford, 1900

                                                                                  -    - Ymuiden, 1911 (IJM.168)

Description: Steel side / beam trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail, mizzen.

Crew:  9 men (1900); 11 men (1917).

Registered at Milford: 28 Nov 1900

Built: 1900 by Harkess & Son,  Middlesbrough.  (Yard no. 152)

Tonnage: 191.03 grt  37.71 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet):110 / 21 / 11

Engine: 52 hp.



28 Nov 1900: William Harkess, Middlesbrough on Tees.

Hugo MacColl, Sunderland.

Gilbert Reid Pollock, Middle on Tees, Sunderland

Manager: William Page, Charles St., Milford. (1900-04)

                Crawford Heron, South Docks, Swansea. (1904-09)



Mar 1909: A/S Norwegian North Sea Trawling Co., P.N. Gram, Sandefjord, Norway.



1911: Naamlose Venn. Maatschappij Vischjan, J. Visser, IJmuiden.


As IJM.82

By 1917: Unknown owner.


[ Thanks to Per Gisle Galåen and Ole Hajem Fiske, Norwegian Maritime Museum. ]


Landed at Milford:  16 Dec 1900 - 28 Sep 1904


J. M. Pickering Cert. 4505; age 31, born Scarborough, residing 17 Priory Rd., Milford. Signed on 1 Dec 1900; 21 Jan, 5 Jul 1901; 9 Jan, 7 Jul, 17 Aug 1902; 1 Jan, 3 Jul 1903; 1 Jan 1904

H. Hills 2324, 31, Ramsgate, 66 Port Tennant, St, Thomas, Swansea; 1 Aug 1902; 8 Jul 1904; 12 Jan, 6 Jul 1905

Charles W. Treen 531, 42, Peterborough, 54 Prince of Wales Rd., Swansea; 4 Jan 1906


Camrose is a Pembrokeshire village, northwest of Haverfordwest.  The original Welsh name meant "crooked (gam) moor (rhos)".

20 Apr 1917: VISCHJAN mined 53.46N 04:47W; all crew of 11 killed.  

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 22 Mar 1909. Vessel sold to Norwegian owners.

 Accidents and Incidents

Log book entries:


12 miles S by E from the Hook.

Broken gallows and bent rail in endeavouring to tow the steam trawler 'Manorbier Castle'.

    James Gillard (Skipper)



About 74 miles from St Ann's Head.

Struck in port quarter, top rail, by the steam trawler marked VL 194.  The steam trawler was going astern.

    C. Reed (Skipper)

[VL = Vlaardingen (Netherlands)]



35 miles S by E from the Saints, Bay of Biscay.

J. Llewellyn, age 53, cook; born Milford.  Rupture of bowels lifting stock pot from galley range.

    T.M. Pickering (Skipper)

[ See local newspaper report below. ]



50 miles S by E of the Saints Lighthouse, Bay of Biscay.

Wheelhouse damaged, winch pipes bent and guard plate carried away.

    T.M. Pickering (Skipper)



Engine room pumps damaged.

    T.M. Pickering (Skipper)



At 2 p.m. on the 29th March, when lying at anchor off Milford Haven Docks, the steam trawler 'General Roberts', when endeavouring to cross my bows, struck the port bow of my vessel, denting the rail and bulwarks down to the covering board.

    T.M. Pickering (Skipper)



English Channel

Feed pumps damaged, valve seatings worked loose.

    H. Hills (Skipper)



Sunday morning, 6.30 a.m., the Skellig Rock bearing NE, distance 8 miles.

The steam trawler 'Weasel' collided with the the 'Camrose' damaging plates on the port quarter.

    H. Hills (Skipper)

    T. Hargrave (Second Hand)



16 miles NE from the Longships.

Broken mizzen mast, rigging and sail.  Brig ran into us, name unknown.

    Charles W. Treen (Skipper)



Mumbles anchorage

Bent stern plates. Steamer 'Fischer' of Rostock ran across our bows whilst we was riding at anchor.

    Charles W. Treen (Skipper)



Entry of death.

On 30th December at 5 o'clock p.m., we being laid at the pier at Loch Uig repairing our boiler, the trimmer, William Molyneux, while getting on board owing to the breaking of a rope, slipped and fell into the water, and being unable to swim was drowned before assistance could be rendered.

    W. Dawe (Skipper)

    E. Kidd (Second Hand)




The deceased, William Molyneux, had no wages due to him, as he had allotted all to his mother and she was paid up to date on the 31st December, before the fact of his death became known.  The under-noted effects have this day been delivered to the Supt. at Fleetwood.

One cotton pillow

One rug

One Guernsey

One blue flannel singlet

One pair dungarees, parts all contained in one black canvas bag

    W. Dawe (Skipper)

    E. Kidd (Second)

    W. Jackson (Deckhand)




From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 12th December 1900:



    — On Wednesday the new steam trawler Camrose, built by Messrs W. Harkess and Son, Middlesbrough for Messrs W. Page and Co. of Milford Haven, was taken to sea for trial. After adjusting compasses the vessel was run out to sea and the nets shot when a fine catch of fish was obtained, some of which were cooked on board and the remainder distributed among the guests present. The vessel was then run on the measured mile and a speed of 11 knots easily obtained. The engines are by Messrs McColl and Pollock, of Sunderland, and everything worked to the entire satisfaction of Captain Pickering, the owners representative. The vessel was taken into Hartlepool where the party of guests were landed and where the vessel will take her ice on board before proceeding to the fishing grounds off the south coast of Ireland.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 2nd May 1902:




    In the Admiralty Court, on Wednesday, the owners and crew of the Milford steam trawler Camrose were awarded £260 for salvage services rendered to the steam trawler, Manorbier Castle. While engaged in fishing off the South Coast of Ireland the Manorbier Castle broke down during the heavy weather on February 2, was taken in tow by the Camrose, and brought safely into Milford next day.

    Mr F. Lang, K.C., and Mr A. Roch, appeared for the plaintiffs, and Mr B. Aspinall, K.C., and Mr A. D. Bateson for the defendants.

    The President, in giving judgment, said there was nothing very remarkable that he could see about the nature of the services or the circumstances under which they were rendered. It was clear that at the time the Manorbier Castle was picked up there was a fresh gale, with a heavy, choppy sea. No doubt, the weather improved later, but the circumstances were such that the master of the Manorbier Castle was wise in availing himself of the services of the Camrose. It might have been more convenient to his owners had he waited for one of the trawlers belonging to the club to which his vessel belonged, and his owners had taken the view that he ought to suffer for not having done so. He (the judge) did not wish to say more on the subject than that he was sorry for the man he did not wish to express any adverse criticism on the action of the owners. But he had no doubt that the master thought it would be in the interest of his owners to get into Milford as soon as possible. As to the risk to which the Manorbier Castle was exposed, it was clear that she was not in imminent peril; she was in no danger of going ashore, and sooner or later she was certain to have been taken in tow by one of the vessels in the neighbourhood. Taking into consideration all the circumstances, he had decided to award the plaintiffs £260.

    Judgment accordingly, with costs.



From The Weekly Mail of Saturday 10th January 1903:


    At Milford Haven Petty sessions on Wednesday James Kilby, North-road, Milford Haven, captain of the trawler Merlin, of Aberdeen, surrendered to his bail charged with stealing a trawl net. valued at £4, from the trawler Camrose. The court was crowded, and the chairman (Dr. Griffiths) had cause on more than one occasion to threaten to clear the court if the frequent demonstrations occurring did not cease. The net was placed on the deck of the Camrose on Friday, the 19th ult., and a few hours later the trawler Merlin came to lay alongside. On the net being missed a search warrant was issued, and the trawl was found concealed in the forepeak of the Merlin. A large number of witnesses were called on both sides, and after a lengthy hearing the Bench dismissed the case.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 13th January 1904: 


    On Saturday evening, the steam trawler "Camrose" (Messrs. W. Page and Co.,) arrived in the harbour, when she reported one of the crew seriously ill.  The unfortunate man was the cook, named Llewellyn, who, it transpired, ruptured himself very badly in carrying out his duties whilst the vessel was fishing in the Bay of Biscay.  Captain Pickering and his crew did all they could in order to relieve the suffering man of his pains, and speedily as possible returned to Milford, where on arrival he was at once brought ashore, and Dr. Low was soon in attendance.  Ultimately the sufferer was removed in the ambulance car to his home at Prendergast, Haverfordwest.


From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 1st April 1904:



A COLLISION.- On Tuesday the steam trawler Camrose was at anchor in the Haven, when the General Roberts, in trying to cross her bow, ran into her, denting the rail and bulwarks down to the covering board. 


From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 15th July 1904:



PROMOTION.— Mr Pickering, late skipper of the "Camrose", has been appointed to take charge of the Castle boats as ship's husband, which, of course, necessitates his removal to Swansea. He has been in Milford many years, and, as a skipper, he has been very successful, whilst in private circles he has won universal respect in the town. He commenced his new duties last Monday.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 3rd September 1904:


The Steam Trawler "Camrose," has had to put into Vigo for repairs, the check valve having given out in the Bay of Biscay. 



From The Cambrian of Friday 27th October 1905:


    Capt. Hill [ Hills ], of the steam trawler, Camrose, now lying at Swansea, states that on Monday last one of his deck hands developed a severe attack of rheumatic fever, and deemed it advisable when in St. George's Channel, to put into Castletown, Berehaven, on the Irish coast, for medical assistance, and if necessary to obtain the patient's admission to the local infirmary. He says that the authorities would not allow the man to be landed without a guarantee of payment from the owners. Capt. Hill also states that the attendance of a doctor was refused, and the captain had to telegraph to Swansea to get a guarantee for the expenses of the invalid's detention in hospital. The poor fellow was kept several hours waiting for permission to land, but he was eventually removed to Castletown Infirmary.



From The Weekly Mail of Saturday 14th December 1907:


     The Swansea trawler Camrose, which left Swansea a day or two ago, encountered such terrific seas down Channel that she shipped large quantities of water, and was in such danger that the captain decided to put back to port, as he could not get rid of the water without danger to the craft. 



Back to Trawlers 1888-1914