Official No: 104120  Port Number and Year:  - in Milford, 1896

                                                                              - in Dundee, 1899 (DE12 )

Description: Steel side liner / trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail and mizzen

Crew:  9 men (1896)

Registered at Milford: 11 Aug 1896

Built: 1896, by Edwards Bros., North Shields.  (Yard no. 518)

Tonnage: 144 grt  32.87 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 105.0 / 26.6 / 11.0

Engine: -



11 Aug 1896: Frederick Joseph Sellick, 'Marine Villa', Murray Cres., Milford.

Managing owner.


As DE12

5 May 1899:  The Dundee Fishing Co., 31 Reform St., Dundee.

Manager: Alexander D. Cameron, Fish Dock, Dundee.


Landed at Milford:  2 Aug 1896 - 10 Feb 1899.


Edgar Garnham cert. 1571, age 28, born Sittingbourne, residing - ; signed on 27 Jul 1896

? Gray ?  1897-98; 1899

James W. Peters 3915, 27, Hull, Charles St., Milford; 27 Nov 1896; 10 Jan 1898

William Holder 0964, 34, Aberdeen, Wellington Lodge, Hakin; 5 Jul 1898

J. W. Peters 3915, 27, Hull, - ; 27 Jul 1898


Insured in 1906 by the Dundee Fishing Co. for 3,000

14 Jan 1912: Stranded on the rocks near Carnbulg beacons.  Crew saved by breeches buoy. Two of the rescue team, Andrew Third and Alexander May, were awarded the Bronze Medal for gallantry.  [See "The Times" Court Circular, of Friday 13th September 1912.]

(Wrecked at N 57.41.1; W 1.56.5.)

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 5 May 1899. Vessel transferred to the port of Dundee.

 Accidents and Incidents

Log book entry:



I was fishing in Dundrum Bay.  Owing to bad weather, I hove up my gear at 4.00 and lay to till about about 7.00, when I steamed inshore and dropped anchor between 10.00 and 11.00.  I was boarded by the coastguards, who ordered me to heave up the anchor.  They placed a man on the bridge and took charge of my vessel.  He took her off Newcastle and brought her up.  They took my gear off the starboard side and summoned me for fishing within the limits.  When the tide fell the ship bumped considerably.  I have not yet ascertained what damage she has sustained.

    J.W. Peters (Skipper)

    Jack Setterfield (Mate)


From the Western Mail of Friday 8th January 1897:





    At the Castlewellan Petty Sessions James Peters, master of the steam trawler Chloe [sic], of Milford Haven, was prosecuted for trawling within the prescribed limits in Dundrum Bay on the 6th December, and, further, for non-production of the vessel's papers.  The bench imposed a penalty of 20 and 3 costs.  ...............  It is stated that the Irish fishermen are about to petition the Government to have a gunboat supplied to patrol the fishing ground.



From the Western Mail of Monday 9th January 1899:



    A shocking accident occurred on the steam trawler Curlew [sic - see note below] , of Milford, last week, whilst engaged in trawling some 25 miles outside Dublin Bay.  Owing to the fishing net becoming entangled in some wreckage one of the steel hawsers snapped, and the powerful wire rope swept the board with terrible violence.  A seaman named Thomas Swyth [sic - probably Smith or Smyth] was struck across the thighs, both of which were fractured.  Another seaman was also injured, but not seriously.  Upon arriving at her berth at Dublin the injured men were moved to Sir Patrick Dunn's hospital.


[There was no steam trawler named CURLEW registered or based at Milford.  Of the trawlers fishing out of Milford in 1898-99, CLIO is the most likely to have been the subject of this article, if the trawler was indeed a Milford registration, especially as she was previously referred to as CHLOE.  However, there was a trawler named CURLEW DE91, ON 104744, built 1897.  According to the Belfast Newsletter of Thursday 12th January 1899, Smith died from his injuries.  The mate of the trawler was Richard Wright; no record of whom has yet been recorded on this website.  The Western Mail of Friday 13th January again referred to the CURLEW as a Milford trawler, and reported the subsequent death of Thomas Smyth. ]


[See below another fatality on the CLIO off Dundee, three months later.]



Other log book entries:



8 miles WNW from St Ann's Head

The Third Hand who comes from Portsmouth but resides in Hakin, whilst he was going down to the cabin, the door swung to and jammed his fingers (left hand) breaking them.

    J.W. Peters (Skipper)



Off St Ann's Head we collided with the steam trawler 'Mandalay' of Hull.  Two plates damaged on the starboard quarter.  The 'Mandalay' was hit through us trying to cross her stern.

    J.W. Peters (Skipper)



Off Mine Head, NW by N, 12 miles

F. Hutchinson, age 20, fifth hand, Welsh, residing Milford.

Guarding warps on winch bar slipped striking his hand and forehead.

    J.W. Peters (Skipper)

   W.T. Calder (Mate)



E. Jenkins, age 21, trimmer; Welsh, resides Neyland, was scalded.

    J.W. Peters (Skipper)

    J. Clarke


From The Dundee Courier & Argus of Monday 1st May 1899; pg. 5; Issue 14304:




    Yesterday a sad accident happened on board the steam trawler Clio, of Milford, involving the death of a young man, named Adam Rutherford, belonging to Newhaven.  The trawler had been lying at Dundee, and in the forenoon she left the port for the purpose of proceeding to the fishing ground.  When the trawler was in the vicinity of the No.4 buoy, which is almost opposite Monifieth, two of the members of the crew, James Aitken, the engineman, and William Henderson, the fireman, went to the winch to have it set in motion.  Something, however, seemed to be wrong with the machinery, for although the steam was put on the men failed to get the winch started.  With the object of relieving it in some measure Henderson obtained a crowbar, and inserted it into the winch in order to move it.  At the time Rutherford was occupying a seat nearby on deck, and was engaged splicing a rope.  When the lever was placed in the winch the steam was still acting on the machinery, the men engaged having, it is stated, evidently forgotten to shut it off.  All at once the steam set the winch in motion, and the crowbar was dislodged from its position, and flung out with great violence towards the spot where Rutherford was sitting.  The heavy piece of metal struck the unfortunate man a severe blow on the head, and killed him almost instantaneously.  The occurrence caused the greatest consternation on board, and the captain at once had the trawler put about, and returned to Dundee, where he reported the fatality to the police authorities.  Dr. Peter Campbell was called, and he ascertained that Rutherford's skull had been fractured as the result of the blow.  The body was removed to Dundee mortuary in the course of the day.  Deceased was a single man, and was twenty-five years of age.



Back to Trawlers 1888-1914