As REGINALD PH75 stranded during in fog on SE coast of St. Mary's, Scilly in 1906.

The eight crew landed and partook of a picnic lunch while waiting for the flood. She refloated at high water with only minor damage.

(Information by Gil Mayes via Trawler Photos website.)

Official No:  112453   Port Number and Year: 9th in Milford, 1899 (M149)

                                                                                -   in Plymouth, 1901 (PH75)

                                                                              9th in Milford, 1909 (M46)

                                                                                -   in Grimsby, 1916 (GY1006)

                                                                                -   in Aberdeen, 1920 (A595)

                                                                                -   in Hull (H377)

                                                                                -   in Boulogne (B1373)

Description: Steel side / beam trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail, mizzen

Crew:  9 men (1899); 8 men (1901); 9 men (1928).

Registered at Milford: 28 Nov 1899 (M149); 14 Dec 1909 (M46)

Built: 1899, by Cochrane & Cooper, Selby.  (Yard no. 259)

Tonnage: 190.94 grt  72.69 net. 1 Jan 1914: Amended by Board of Trade to 75.14 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 110.7 / 21.0 / 11.25

Engine: T 3-cyl. 55 hp. 10 kts; by Charles D. Holmes, Hull.




28 Nov 1899: Peter Llewellyn Hancock, Picton Rd., Hakin. (32/64) (Managing owner.)

David Pettit, 47 Priory Rd., Hakin. (32/64)


As PH75

28 Oct 1901:  J. H. Luxton, 10 Windsor Place, Plymouth. (Managing owner.)

William Kent, Plymouth.


As M46

14 Dec 1909: David Pettit, 47 Priory Rd., Milford  (32/64) (Managing owner.)

Joseph White Johnston, 'Point House', Hazelbeach, Llanstadwell (32/64)

12 Feb 1910:  As CORNET.


4 May 1911:  David Pettit, 47 Priory Rd., Milford  (64/64)

Managing owner.


20 Apr 1915: Edith Kendal, 'Lyndale', Brookland Ave., Cleethorpes, Grimsby (32/64)

Henry Bernstein, Fish Docks, Grimsby (32/64)

Manager: H. B. Fain


23 Aug 1915: Thomas George Hancock, 'Hill House', Hill St., Hakin (32/64) (Managing owner.)

John Davies Harries, The Rath, Milford. (32/64)


As GY1006

19 Dec 1916: Sir George F. Sleight, Weelsby Hall, Grimsby.

Managing owner.


25 Oct 1920: Andrew Walker, Commercial Quay, Aberdeen.

Managing owner.

17 Nov 1920: A595.


13 Jan 1928: James Leyman, St. Andrew's Quay, Hull. 

Managing owner.

13 Jan 1928: H377.



23 Jul 1929: Gournay-Deplanque et Robert Nicholas, Boulogne.


Landed at Milford:  M149: 7 Dec 1899 - 6 Jul 1902

M46: 25 Nov 1909 - 29 Nov 1916


David Pettit cert 6943, age 33, born Essex, residing 47 Priory Rd., Milford; signed on 25 Nov 1899; 2 Jan, 31 Jul 1900

A. Barrett 5307, 25, - , Robert St., Milford; 1 Jan 1901

John Henry Dove 2391, 34, Great Clapton, - ; 20 Apr 1901

William Kent 776, 39, Plymouth, 46 South Side St., Plymouth; 5 Aug 1901; 1 Jan 1902

Jack Welham 6150, 30, Yarmouth, - ; 25 Jun 1902

Charles J. Wildridge 1847, 46, Hull, Manchester Sq., Milford; 1911

James Chaney . 6638, 37, Winterton, Wellington Rd., Hakin; 13 Jan 1912

William Kent 7835, 30, Lowestoft, Gwili Rd., Hakin; 28 Jan, 9 Jul 1912

B. Foster 1608, 56, Greenwich, 13 Starbuck Rd, Milford; 18 Dec 1912; 3 Jan 1913

G. H. Barnett 4244, 39, Hull, - ; 15 Apr 1913


1906: In dense fog, stranded on south east coast of St Mary’s, Scilly. Refloated with minor damage.

29 May 1917: Fishery reserve.

1919: Released from reserve.

1916: Picked up a German torpedo in the trawl, 18 ft. long, with a girth of 5 ft.

1919: Returned to owners.

7 Oct 1931: Sank after collision near Haaks Light Vessel.

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed:

15 Dec 1916; transferred to the port of Grimsby.

[Lofthouse T., Mayes G., Newton D., & Thompson M. (2012): Cochrane Shipbuilders

Vol.1: 1884 - 1914.]

 Accidents and Incidents

Log book entries:


Towed the Brigantine 'Alruna' of Dublin from 2 till 5.15 p.m. into Milford, and docked her.

    David Pettit. (Skipper)

[See below]


25.11. 1900.

Cardigan Bay.

A. Barrett, age 24, Mate; born Hull, residing in Milford, was struck by a bar whilst heaving up the trawl.  He was working the winch, and was struck by a bar of the winch accidentally.

    J. Huddlestone. (Skipper)



April 20th,1901,at sea two miles south west from St Ann's Head.

W. E.Green, Mate, age 32 years, British, born in Hull, residing in Milford.

    We left Milford on the 20th April 1901, on a fishing expedition.  After having got the anchor aboard I went onto the bridge and ordered full speed ahead and proceeded to sea, the weather being fine and the sea  smooth, the wind from the east.

    I then gave the mate orders to set the sails which he with the rest of the crew proceeded to do, and having finished, then to clear up the decks.  About 7 p.m., when about two miles south west from St Ann's Head, I came off the bridge to go to tea, leaving the bosun at the wheel.  When I got aft I enquired for the mate and no one seemed to have seen him, only when he was making water on the quarter deck after the sails being set.

    l went down the cabin expecting to find him, but not seeing him, we then looked all over the ship but could not find him and came to the conclusion that he had accidentally fell over board. I then came back to Milford keeping a look out to see if we could see him, but did not, and arrived at anchorage about 8.30.p.m.

    John Henry Dove. (Skipper).



I joined the Steam Trawler "Reginald" to take her to sea on Saturday,  April 20th.  At tide time. having no deck hands only the mate, we went out of dock and came to the anchorage.  I came ashore to look for hands which I got about six p.m.  We then got the anchor aboard and went to sea.  About an hour after, I went to look for the ship's log book to sign the crew on and I could not find it.  I reported it to the superintendent on our arrival back and got supplied with a supplementary one and signed the crew on.  I made enquires off the owner and the late skipper, but they knew nothing about it.  The ship had been under repairs for about three weeks.

    John Henry Dove.  (Skipper).


From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 19th December 1900:


    At Pembroke Dock County Court on Wednesday last before his Honour Judge Bishop and two nautical assessors.  Peter Llewellyn, on behalf of the owner and crew of the steam trawler "Reginald", of the port of Milford, was plaintiff in an action for salvage and towage against the brigantine "Alruna", of Dublin. The damages claimed were £150.The "Alruna" is the property of Wallace Brothers, coal merchants, Dublin and Liverpool. Mr Plews (instructed by Mr H.J. Evans, Milford, solicitor ) appeared for the plaintiff. Mr Arthur Lewis (instructed by Messrs Eaton Evan and Williams, Haverfordwest and Milford) defended.

    Mr Plews stated the case. The claim was for services rendered by the owners of the "Reginald" to the "Alruna" on the 7th November last, and was for £150. The "Alruna" was a wooden vessel, built in America in l871.  She was on a voyage, carrying a cargo of coal, about 252 tons, which had been shipped on board at Maryport, consigned to a Mr Gallagher, of Wexford. In reply to his Honour Mr Lewis said the value of the "Alruna" was estimated by the defendants at £300, cargo £170, freight £70, total £540. Mr Plews said the plaintiffs put the value of vessel and cargo at £750.

    The "Alruna" left Maryport on 31st October, and on Tuesday 5th November reached seven miles east-south-east of Arklow Light. There was a gale blowing at the time and she lost her upper sail. She got into Wexford Bay about 7 o'clock that evening and anchored there. …………….

   There was a storm on and the same night the port chain parted.  Ten minutes later the starboard chain broke, and then the vessel began to drift. The mainstay sail was blown away and the vessel began to run for shelter in the direction of Milford Haven. About 1.p.m. on the 7th November she was flying the jack and the pilot was sent off to her. The skipper of the steam trawler "Reginald", then at anchor on the west side of Milford, saw the "Alruna" coming up the bay with no sails. The wind was blowing from the north-west, the tide was just about an hour after flood. The "AIruna" struck on the east side of the entrance to Milford Docks.

    A communication was made to the skipper of the "Reginald" that the "Alruna" wanted assistance.  The message being brought by the pilot boat, the pilot had found her in such a condition that he thought it necessary to call in the assistance of the "Reginald". The latter vessel immediately hove up her anchor and went to the assistance at considerable risk owing to the gale.  Eventually they got close and passed a warp, which, with some difficulty, was made fast, and they towed her into Milford Haven. 

    Evidence for the plaintiff would show that the "Alruna" could undoubtedly have done a great deal of damage to herself or the other vessels in the harbour, had not the "Reginald" gone to her assistance. The" Alruna" had no means of controlling herself, was drifting with the tide, and  might easily have gone upon the rocks. The "Reginald" was worth £6,000, was an iron ship, and  only twelve months old.


        Joseph Huddleston, skipper of the "Reginald", deposed he  was anchored outside the dock on November 7th.  He was applied to by the last witness and another man to go to the assistance of the "Alruna".   He had noticed the "Alruna" about 1 o'clock running up the harbour with a jack flying at her foremast and striking the ground on the east side of Milford Docks.  It was a common occurrence and he paid no attention to it until the pilot came to him.  Witness immediately went to the assistance of the "Alruna" at great risk of the "Reginald" colliding with other vessels or of getting aground.  The "Alruna"  was  in danger.  He got her in tow at 2 p,m. and had her docked at 5.15.

    Cross-examined, he could not see whether the "Alruna" was in danger or not and he did not go to her assistance until he was called.  He was  of the opinion, however, that she was in danger.  At the time there was plenty of wind with a moderate sea.  He got hold of the "Alruna", abreast of Newton Noyes Pier, and at the time she was absolutely clear of all shipping.

    Peter Llewellyn Hancock, owner of the "Reginald", said his vessel was worth £6,000, her cargo of fish on the 7th November was worth when sold £152, and he lost £50 on its sale owing to being late on the market, in consequence of his vessel having lost its turn owing to the delay in rescuing the "Alruna".  His vessel came in last and could not sell till last next morning.  In cross-examination witness said £152 was not the average value of a cargo of fish.  He had made an average of £183 for the last weeks.  His claim had originally been for salvage alone, but was amended afterwards to include towage.  He considered that he should be paid salvage on account of his skipper risking a £6,000 vessel to rescue one worth only £750.


    Martin O'Leary, skipper of the "Alruna", said he had been master since 1861. 0n November 7th, he had lost the mainstay sail, but coming up Milford Harbour, he had up mainsail, staysail, and fore and topsail. He had come up with the flood, and the vessel caught ground off the dock channel.  It was then unmanageable, but it got off the ground in half an hour.  He had a small anchor on board, but it only held for twenty minutes when the chain snapped. He had plenty of canvas on board, and the vessel was in no danger.  He  signalled before going aground for a pilot as his men were tired, and he wanted the pilot to assist in squaring the yards and that sort of thing. (Laughter).  William Butler, mate of the "Alruna", gave like evidence.

    Counsel having addressed the court, His Honour delivered judgment. He said he  was advised by the nautical assessors that the "Alruna" was in danger.  No-one who had heard the evidence could come to any other conclusion. The pilot, who went on board, said she was, whilst witnesses for the defendants admitted that ships had to get out of her way. The court also agreed that the "Reginald" did run certain risks, and  rendered both salvage and towage services, the salvage being carried out by the towage, and they would award £50 and costs, inclusive of the £25 lodged in court. A verdict was entered for this amount.


[ALRUNA:  Wooden Brigantine. Tonnage. 191. Built 1871. New Brunswick. Length. 100.8. Breadth. 27.9. Depth. 9.6.  Owners: W. Wallace. Registered Dublin. British.]



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 26th April 1901:


A MILFORD MATE'S STRANGE DISAPPEARANCE.— The mysterious and tragic disappearance of William Green, of Jubilee Terrace, Milford, has aroused much speculation. He was mate on the trawler "Reginald", which put to sea last Saturday night, and about two miles outside St. Ann's, it was discovered that he was missing. The vessel at once put back to port to report the sad news. It is assumed that he fell overboard, but no one saw him do so and the whole occurrence is wrapped in mystery. Green was a steady, respectable man, and, as there was almost a perfect calm on Saturday night, it is impossible to account for the affair. Green was a married man with three children.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 28th June 1901:


Pembroke Dock Bankruptcy Court.




    The bankruptcy of Mr Peter Llewellyn Hancock, of Stanleigh House, Waterloo Road, Hakin, Milford Haven, which was investigated at the Pembroke Dock Court on Friday last, was a case in which great local interest was felt.   ..........

    .............. The Receiver read over his observations, and in reference to Paragraph 6, asked ...............  — Explain shortly the depreciation in the value of the vessels ?

    — Take the "Gold Finder." On February 26, 1900, I bought her for £5,150 at Grimsby. In March, 1901, she was sold for £3250—a loss of £1900. She was sold by the mortgagee, a forced sale. The "Volta," another steam trawler, cost £5,500; she was sold in April, I think, for £4250. Then the "Reginald," which was mortgaged for £4,850, cost £6000.

    You assume a loss on that of £1500?  — Yes. Then the smack called the "Nelly" was valued at £1000; I sold her for £500.

    Registrar: Where is the Reginald now ? — In Milford Docks.

    Receiver: Can you think of anything else? — Not from memory.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 14th January 1910:



        The steam trawler "Reginald", owned by Messrs. W. Pettit and Co., of Milford, arrived in dock on Saturday afternoon and Mr. Ebberson, the skipper, related the following experience. He said that about midnight on Friday, they were fishing off the West Coast of Ireland. The gear happened to get caught in a wreck because when an attempt was made to heave it up the extra strain caused the messenger warp to part. The mate, John Ribey, and his father Frank Ribey, boatswain, were both thrown overboard. Although it was dark at the time the mate managed to swim towards the ship, and was on the point of sinking when he was rescued by means of a rope. He afterwards said that after swimming a little his right leg failed him, and that he was rescued just in time. His father, the boatswain, was rather more fortunate for the heel of his boot was entangled in the warp, and he was suspended in the air when skipper Ebberson went to his assistance and drew him safely on board although he himself was also crushed between the warp and the side of the ship.

        The vessel steamed to port as soon as possible, and on her arrival John Ribey, the mate, was carried to Dr. Nicholls' surgery, on the dock ambulance. It was discovered that he had lacerated his right leg and had been severely bruised on the body. After receiving medical attention he was removed to his home. The other two men managed to walk home although the skipper had great difficulty in doing so.

        The "Reginald" is an old Milford trawler, which of late has traded into Swansea, but she has been purchased by Messrs. W. Pettit and Co., who intend working her from Milford. This was her first trip, and she landed a catch which realised £137 for seven days.


[ Name changed to CORNET within a month. ]





Log book entries:



10 miles off Helvich Hel [?].  SE

High pressure bottom end ran hot and white metal running out, causing oilways to block.  Had to stop engines to clear oilways and make new ones.  Stopped engines about 12, restarted about 12.40 p.m.

    C.I. Wildridge (Skipper)

    T. Taylor (Mate 8844)



On March 10th, 1911, at 10.50 p.m., the wind being N by W, strong breeze, whilst towing our fishing gear our main engine broke down, and on examining them the Chief Engineer reported to me that the feed bilge pump crossheads was broken, and also the chamber and castings was broken too, and also the the pump lever and high pressure rod was slightly bent.  We did temporary repairs to them but we failed to get the water to pass into the boiler, so we then put the donkey engine on the hot well so as to give the boiler the feed supply of water.  Started again on at 8 p.m. on the 11th, and all went well until March 12th, at 1 p.m.  Whilst towing our gear the Chief reported that the donkey engine had broken down.  We hauled and did temporary repairs to the bucket valve which we found was broken when examining it.  Started engines again at 4 a.m., hauled at 8 a.m., shot gear at 9 p.m and at 9.30 broke down again and on examination it was found that the donkey bucked [?] valve of crank shaft was broken.

    C.I. Wildridge (Skipper)


[See 1904 CORNWALL log book entry re REGINALD - later renamed CORNET - for earlier mechanical problems.]



Back to Trawlers 1888-1914