DON QUIJOTE A431
Official No: 165242 Port and Year: Aberdeen, 1937
Description: Steel side trawler; steam screw, motor. Pareja (pair) trawling. Ketch rigged.
Crew: 12 men
Built: Hall, Russell & Co., Aberdeen, 1936. (Yard no. 735)
Tonnage: 134 grt 57 net
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 85.8 / 19.7 / 10
Engine: 6 cyl oil engine; 300 hp; by Deutsche Werke A.G., Kiel.
1936: F. Acebal y Cia., Pasajes, Spain [See newspaper report below.]
As DON QUIJOTE A432
14 Nov 1936: Don Trawling Co. (Milford Haven)
Manager: J. C. Llewellin, Docks, Milford
1939: Pesquerias Paulino Freire S.L., Vigo.
Landed at Milford: 21 Nov 1936 - 26 Jul 1939
Fitted with an electric sounding device.
Aug 1939: Left the port of Milford for Spain.
18 Nov 1939: Aberdeen register closed.
Accidents and Incidents
From an unknown local newspaper from the week beginning 22nd November 1936:
Two brand new Spanish pair fishing vessels came into Dock on Saturday morning's tide. They have been brought round from Aberdeen by two well-known Milford skippers, Messrs. John Yolland, D.S.C., and Charles Thomas.
In an interview with our reporter Skipper Yolland stated that the vessels were fine seaworthy craft, and had proved this on the voyage round by way of the North Sea and English Channel, for in the former zone they encountered heavy gales.
Steel built and fitted with diesel engines, they do 250 revs and 9 knots, and at full speed, 111 knots. Skipper Yolland, as an experienced fisherman, is keenly interested in the possibilities of the boats, and is taking one of them out on its first fishing voyage, Skipper Thomas being in command of the other. Whilst at Milford, the vessels will be under the management of Mr. John C. Llewellyn.
According to an Aberdeen statement, the vessels Don Juan and Don Quixote were built by Messrs. Hall Russell and Co., Aberdeen, and have been lying in that port since July last. They were held up first owing to a fishermen's strike in Spain, and then on account of the Spanish Civil War. Both of the vessels have been registered in Aberdeen instead of in Spain, and it is intended for them to fish outof Milford at least until the war is over in Spain.
From an unknown local newspaper from c.10th August 1939:
A number of the Spanish colony which has been residing in the town for a considerable time has just left, and are going to Spain. Some went away on the trawlers "Don Juan" and "Don Quixote" on Tuesday evening, and several of the womenfolk left this morning by train. During their stay they have been very good citizens.
Back to Other Registrations A - H