Official No:  112452    Port Number and Year: 11th in Milford, 1899

                                                                                  -     in Ymuiden, 1914 (IJM.27)

Description: Steel side / beam trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged, two masts: mainsail and mizzen

Crew:  9 men (1899)

Registered at Milford: 7 Nov 1899

Built: 1899, by J. Duthie & Sons, Aberdeen

Tonnage: 184.36 grt  65.37 net. 1 Jan 1914: Amended by Board of Trade to 73.0 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet):180.5 / 20.7 / 11

Engine: T 3-cyl. 35 nhp. W.V.V. Lidgerwood, Glasgow.




7 Nov 1899: James Thomas,  'Tredegar House', Great North Rd., Milford. (Ceased as such; date unknown.)

                     John Jones, 'Dowlais House', Milford.  (Managing owner.)



1914: N.V. Vissch. Maats 'Flamingo', Ymuiden.


By 1930: N.V. Scheepsexpl. Mij. 'De Marezaten', Ymuiden

Managers: Joh. Polderman & F.C. Breitenstein.


Landed at Milford:  10 Dec 1899 - 25 Nov 1913


Fred Hardisty cert. 1891; age 31, born Barton, residing Greville Rd., Milford; signed on 11 Dec 1899; 8 Jun, 10 Jul 1900; 10 Jan, 18 Jul 1901 (10 Priory Rd., Milford); 2 Jan, 23 Jul 1902; 3 Jan 1903.

Samuel Smith 2012, 33, Wenhaston, Suffolk; - ; 20 Mar 1901

B. Bryant 4678, 30 Yarmouth, - ; 5 Dec 1902

James S. Gray 996, 49, Woodbridge, Great Eastern Hotel, Point St., Hakin; 16 Apr 1903

R. H. Hooper 6686, 47, Plymouth, - ; 7 Jul 1903

R. Webb 5757, 35, Scarborough, - ; 29 Dec 1903

John Chamberlain 0889, 49, Hasbrough, 'Aston House', Priory Rd., Milford; 29 Nov 1903; 1 Jan 1904

Henry J. Dove 2301, 54, Great Clacton, - ; 11 Jun 1904

Jack Pratt 6106, 34, Hull, 3 Jan 1905

R. Woodgate 4178, 39, Beer, - ; 28 May, 8 Jul 1905

H. Hewer 6526, 29, Gorleston, - ; 21 Aug 1905

F. Riby 0821, 53, Scarborough, - ; 17 Nov 1905

George C. Nichols 5538, 40, Stamford, North Rd., (then St. David's Rd., Milford); 6 Dec 1905;10 Jan, 9 Jul 1906; 28 Jan 1908; 6 Jan 1909

Henry Scott 0231, 57, London, St. Annes Rd., Hakin;; 16 Jan 1908; 25 May, 19 Jul 1909; 10 Jan, 4 Jul 1911; 4 Jan 1912

B. Jackson 1431, 52, Yarmouth, - ; 8 May 1909

Harry Rich 4107, 43, Hull, - ; 17 Apr 1912

J. Goffin 7236, 41, Yarmouth, - ; 17 May 1912


Dowlais is a village in Glamorgan; the Welsh name means "Black voice" (du + llais).

1906: Insured by John Jones for £5,000

4 Nov - 5 Dec 1910: On the slip for repairs. (See newspaper article below.)

1938: Broken up.

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 22 Apr 1914.  Vessel sold to Dutch owners. (See above.)

 Accidents and Incidents

From the Aberdeen Weekly Journal of Thursday 25th May 1899; Issue 13832:



    There was launched at noon yesterday from the shipbuilding yard of Messrs John Duthie, Sons and Co., Footdee, a finely-modelled steam trawler built to the order of Messrs Thomas and Jones, trawl-owners [sic], Milford Haven.  The dimensions of the vessel are:― Length of keel, 116 feet; breadth, 20 feet 6 inches; and depth of hold 12 feet.  The vessel will be fitted up with triple-expansion engines, and all the latest improvements for the successful conduction of trawling operations.  She has a gross tonnage of 168, and a net tonnage of 38.  The launch was very successful, and as the vessel left the ways she was named the Dowlais by Mr Jones, of Messrs Thomas and Jones.  Among those present at the launch were Messrs Thomas and Jones, owners; Messrs Robert and J. A. Duthie, representing the builders; Mr Thomas Walker, trawl-owner; Mr John Lewis, trawl-owner; and a few friends of the owners.  After the launch a cake and wine banquet took place in the office of the Messrs Duthie, at which success to the Dowlais was drunk. 



Log book entries:



60 miles W by S from St Ann's Head

Towed the steam trawler 'Brazilian' of Milford into Milford Haven, her engines being broken down.

    Frederick Hardisty (Skipper)



20 miles SSE from Mine Head, Ireland.

Broke rudder head.  Gale of wind and bad iron.

    Fred Hardisty (Skipper)



Milford,6 a.m.

'Scotia' steam trawler.  While 'Dowlais' was making for the lock pits, the 'Scotia' striking 'Dowlais' aft side port rigging a stern blow.  Damage unknown.

    George C. Nichols (Skipper)

    G. H. Bennett (Mate)


From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 8th March 1903:



The steam trawler 'Dowlais' was towed into Milford on Saturday by the 'General Roberts,' which had picked her up disabled in Chapel Bay. She had lost her rudder in the storm.  All other fishermen who were out at sea that night speak of it as being one of the wildest they ever experienced, and the 'General Roberts' had a boat washed away. 



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 5th August 1904:


ACCIDENT TO A SKIPPER.— On Sunday evening, when the steam trawler Dowlais put into dock, her skipper named Chamberlain, was taken home with his knee cap dislocated, the result of an accident at sea.


From the Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday, 22nd March 1905:


    More sad intelligence was brought on Thursday morning with the arrival of the steam trawler 'Dowlais', owned by Mr. J. J. Jones.  The Skipper narrated a thrilling experience in the storm, two of the crew being washed overboard and drowned, viz. the boatswain Joseph Smith, and the third hand Harry Walsh.  Both men are very well known in the town, and have lived here for many years.  The latter was a single man, but in the case of Smith it is rendered particularly sad in as much as he has left a wife and seven children, one of whom is blind, to mourn his loss, and it needs hardly be stated that profound sympathy is extended to the bereaved relatives.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 2nd November 1906:




        On Monday evening the steam trawler Dowlais was anchored in the Haven waiting for the boisterous weather to abate, when the third hand, named Jeffs, living at Pill, fell off the mizzen boom. He was picked up unconscious, and after being attended to aboard the ship revived sufficiently to be taken ashore. He was taken to the King's Arms Hotel, Hakin Point, where he received the attention of a doctor, and afterwards conveyed home in a cab.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 27th September 1907:




    On Tuesday morning the s.s. Dowlais (Captain G. Nichols) arrived in Milford Haven having in tow the Russian barque Favell (bound from Bilbao to Briton Ferry). On Monday morning the barque was becalmed in a dangerous position off the Smalls, and Captain Nichols, observing the vessel's position, took her in charge, arriving in port as stated. 



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 22nd November 1907:


Reckless Skippers



        Alfred Taylor, skipper of the Gloxinia; Richard Hooper, skipper of the Uhdea; James Golden, skipper of the Dowlais, and Hans Tirrell, of the Avonmouth, were summoned for a breach of the Dock bye-laws by entering abreast, or attempting to pass another vessel in entering the Dock gates.  The skipper of the Dowlais was charged with attempting to pass another vessel and the others with entering the gates abreast.  Mr. Harold J. Evans, solicitor, Milford Haven, appeared for Taylor, Hooper, and Golden.

Captain James, who prosecuted, said there were four summonses taken out against [all four] skippers. Three skippers were charged with going into the dock abreast, and the Dowlais with overtaking another vessel in the dock entrance. That happened on Sunday night, October 10th.  Just before the gates were opened there were fifteen trawlers outside. They all lay out by the two buoys. By the time the gates were opened they were all in a heap. After the opening of the gates four trawlers came in one after another. Then the Reliance got across the entrance. After that seven or eight trawlers were lying just outside. Three of them started off, and came for the entrance to the Docks together. They would not separate. When they got a little closer he hailed them to know what they were going to do. They took no notice, and came two abreast, and the third in the middle just a little astern. The Avonmouth was on the Hakin side, the Uhdea in the middle, and the Gloxinia. As soon as the skipper of the Uhdea heard him shout she backed out. Whilst those trawlers were in that position the Dowlais came along. He hailed the skipper to stop his engines, and go astern, but he did not do so until he got right up. He had to close the Dock. While his back was turned the Dowlais entered the Dock against the light. Those cases were very similar to those which had been heard by the magistrates before, only the vessels came in then two abreast. Now the skippers were trying to improve even on that, and to come in three abreast. If the gates were damaged incalculable injury would ensue. He had only taken out summonses against four skippers, but there were a number who were equally to blame and their conduct that night was disagreeable in the extreme.

Cross-examined: He could not say which of the trawlers was ahead before they entered the Dock.  All he was concerned about was that they came in three abreast. The Dowlais was further astern.

Do you say the three vessels were abreast at the time of entering the channel? — For all practical purposes.  The Gloxinia was on the starboard side.  I hailed the Dowlais to stop her engines. The Uhdea went astern.

You moored the Gloxinia and kept her there until all the other vessels had passed into the Dock? —Yes. I kept her there for three-quarters of an hour.

The Chairman enquired as to whether there were any special rules as to which of two or three vessels together should enter the lock first? No, sir, not beyond the fact that I will not allow more than a one trawler to enter at a time. When they like they can form up in line outside just as if they were going into a booking office. When two are coming in together they should hail each other and arrange which should go first. It does not matter very much because one will enter just after the other. On the night in question, however, they were obstinate, at least one or two. They could not deal with what the vessels did previous to entering the dock, and which was right and which was wrong, especially when as had happened, they had a hundred craft in.

Tom Westonbury also gave evidence as to the three vessels coming in abreast, and the Dowlais passing another trawler in the entrance.

Alfred Taylor, skipper of the Gloxinia, said he was first before entering the dock. He could not help what the other vessels did, he came directly into mid-channel. The Dowlais was just behind, and his mate hailed her to go astern when he gave the signal.

Mr. Birt: Were you abreast when you entered the Dock gates? — Nearly so.

 Have you ever thought what would happen if you damaged the dock gates?— No, but I know by all the Board of Trade regulations I was in the position to have gone in first.

The Chairman thought that one of the vessels must have been in the position to have gone in first. Was there no rule saying that the one on the starboard side for instance, should be allowed to enter first.

James Golden, skipper of the Dowlais, said he obeyed all Captain James’ instructions, and did not pass any other vessel in the dock. As soon as he was hailed he went astern.

Captain James: Didn't you come in again against the light.

Hans Tirrell, of the Avonmouth, said his trawler was a long way ahead of the others, and they endeavoured to pass him.

Captain James pointed out that it was contrary to the dock bye-laws for two or more vessels abreast to enter at the dock gates. It was not for them to determine which trawler had been leading previously.

Mr. Birt said the skipper of the Gloxinia had stated that he was ahead, and the skipper of the Avonmouth said that his vessel was ahead. The statements were directly contradictory, and did away with the question as to which trawler had the right to go in first.

Mr. Evans explained that Hooper who was merely acting as skipper of the Uhdea on that occasion, had gone to sea on another trawler. He would have missed his job if he had attempted to have been present in Court that day.

The magistrates retired to consider their decision.

The Chairman on their return said, as his brother magistrate Mr. Birt had already stated, if any damage were to be caused to the gates it might cripple the trade of the town for months and months. The replacing of those gates would cost £60,000, and therefore the skippers of those boats ought to recognize how very careful it behoved them to be in entering the dock gates. The magistrates were determined to put an end to those offences so far as lay in their power. Each defendant would be fined £5 and costs. Two months was granted in which to pay the money.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 18th November 1910:

    The steam trawler "Dowlais," owned by Messrs. J. and J. Jones, is now on the patent slip undergoing extensive repairs. The damage was caused by striking Stockholm Island a short time ago whilst coming to port in a dense fog. 



Back to Trawlers 1888-1914