John Stevenson Collection

Official No:    107045    Port Number and Year: 11th in Milford in 1896

                                                                                      -   in Grimsby in 1915 (GY669)

Description:  Steel side / beam trawler; steam screw; coal burner. Ketch rigged: mainsail and mizzen. 

Crew: 9 men (1896).

Registered at Milford: 7 Oct 1896

Built: Edwards Bros., North Shields 1896.  (Yard no. 524)

Tonnage: 145.03 gross 25.22 net (> 53.61 net; tonnage amended 1 Jan 1914)

Length / breadth / depth (feet):  106.0 / 20.65 / 11.0

Engine: T-3 Cyl 50 rhp; by North Marine Engineering Co., Sunderland



7 Oct 1896: Cornelius Cecil Morley, Portlaw, Co. Waterford

William Goff Davis-Goff, Glenville, Co. Waterford

Manager: F. J. Sellick, Milford.


9 Mar 1903: Southern Steam Trawling Co., 127 Quay, Waterford.

Managers: Messrs. Sellick, Morley and Price, The Docks, Milford.


16 Dec 1911: Walter Fulton & John Stewart, 82 Gordon St., Glasgow.


9 Nov 1912: John Colquhoun, 136 Bridgegate, Glasgow.

Managing owner.


As GY669

15 Sep 1915: Robert Daniel Clark (Managing owner)      )

Thomas Benjamin Roberts                                                )  Fish Docks, Grimsby

George Pierce                                                                    )


Landed at Milford: 2 Oct 1896 - 7 Dec 1911


David Pettit cert. no. 6943, age 31, born Essex; signed on 18 Jan, 27 Jul 1897

Christopher Royal 05616, 45, Hull; 29 Jun, 16 Jul 1897

John Foreman 05579, 38, Whitstable, residing 141 Charles St., Milford; 5 Jan 1898; 12 Jan 1899

Thomas Leggett 4759, 28, Gorleston; 7 Apr 1898

W. M. Dunnill 1074, 40, Berkshire; 16 Jan 1899

Fred Hardisty 1891, 31, Barton; 5 May, 6 Jul 1899

Samuel Smith 2012, 32,Wenhaston, Suffolk; 7 Aug 1899; 26 Jun 1900

R. Webb 5757, 31, Peterborough; 8 Jan 1900

Henry James 5909, 35, Brixham; 4 Jul, 7 Oct 1900; 3 Jul 1901; 8 Jan, 8 Jul 1902; 1 Jan, 21 Jul 1903

George C. Nichols 5538, 39, Stamford; 20 Jun 1901

J. Riby 4079, 29, Scarborough; 3 Jun 1902

D. Smith 3566, 36, Lincoln; 9 Jul 1903

W. Bevan 6927, 27, Milford; 26 Oct 1903; 1 Jan, 7 Jul 1904; 16 Jan, 5 Jul 1905; 5 Nov 1909

F. Smith 5287, 30, Tenby; 6 Jan 1905

Thomas Roach 7077, 25, Milford; 4 Sep, 7 Dec 1905; 8 Jan, 2 Jul 1906; 7 Sep 1909

Mark Mingay 4968, 35, Caistor; 16 Nov 1905

Walter Jewsbury 7990, 24, Hull; 6 Jan, 3 Jul 1908; 11 Jan 1909

Walter Blyth 1821, 48, Norwich; 16 Feb 1909; 3 Jan 1910

Francis Folland 7982, 30, Plymouth; 20 Aug 1909

J. Bloomfield 6706, 42, Ipswich; 5 Mar 1910

W. Corbett 8156, 27, Cardiff; 12 Jul 1910

J. Daldry 3711, 38, Gorleston; 28 Dec 1910; 6 Jan 1911

James Goffin 7236, 40, Yarmouth; 13 Jun 1911

Thos. Crowley 05604, 18 Mar 1915


29 Sep 1916: Vessel captured by U-45 whilst fishing in the North Sea.  Trawler sunk and crew taken as prisoners, in North Sea at position 56.07N  00.30W

 [Thanks to Michael Lowrey of uboat.net ]

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 13 Sep 1915; transferred to Grimsby.

 Accidents and Incidents:

Log book entries:



Fouling propeller and loss of anchor chain 4 miles ESE from Mine Head, in 40 fathoms.  Warp fouling propeller and vessel pitching in a heavy sea.

    David Pettit (Skipper)



60 miles SSW from Kinsale

Injured.  George Davidson, age 28, Second Hand; British, born Nottingham, residing Milford.

Top of thumb of right hand cut off, and three fingers of same hand injured. Injury caused by hand getting jammed in wires when shooting gear.

    Fred Hardisty (Skipper)



6 p.m.  ENE from Belle Isle.

Small boat and gallows slightly damaged going astern in dense fog, and coming in contact with the steam trawler 'Bournemouth'.

    Henry James (Skipper)



20 miles WSW from the Smalls.

William Holland, age 45, Bosun; born Yarmouth, residing Charles Street, Milford.

Washed overboard and drowned.

    Henry James (Skipper)

    C. Stennett (Mate)



When 20 miles S of Ballycotton, joint ring stud broke causing damage to low pressure cylinder.

    Henry James (Skipper)

    F. B. Rees (Witness)



Lat 51 31' 20 N Long 10 5' W

Picked up boat and four men belonging to the steam ship 'Dufferin' of Belfast.  Landed boat and men at Queenstown, Ireland, on 22nd November 1905.

    Mark Mingay (Skipper)

    Henry Stedall (Witness)



At 8.30 p.m. the crew of the 'Hindustan' SN 30, boarded the 'Fuchsia' and reported that their ship the 'Hindustan was in a sinking condition, and asked me to remain by her which I accordingly did.  Tried to take her in tow but she was making water so fast that it was impossible to do it, she sinking at 10 p.m., 121 hours from the time her crew boarded us.

    T. Roach (Skipper)

    M. Mingay (Mate)



When about 150 miles WSW from St Ann's Head at 6.30 a.m. sighted the steam trawler 'Marec' BL 9 with broken tail shaft.  Took her in tow at 8 a.m.  Weather fine, wind SSW, then she started making water.  Although 13 men were continually bailing, she gained on them very fast.  Took the crew off at 6 p.m.  She was sinking fast.  Sank at 2 a.m. on the 12th, in 52 fathoms, WSW 85 miles from St Ann's Head, wind SW, fresh breeze with squally rain.

    Thomas Roach (Skipper)

    Mark Mingay (Mate)



1 mile W by N of St Ann's Head.

H. Munro, age 32, Second Engineer; British, born Banff, residing Milford.

Suicide.  Jumped over the side, dead when picked up.

    Walter Jewsbury (Skipper)

    R. Murphy (Mate)

[See newspaper below.]



25 miles W by S of Smalls

Gear fouled propeller.  After partial clearance, vessel dragged anchor and drifted on rocks at Milford Haven - caused by gear drifting to lee side of vessel.

    Walter Jewsbury (Skipper)

    R. Murphy (Mate)



Copy of a letter:

                                                                                                                                                                        S.S. Fuchsia

                                                                                                                                                                            Milford Haven August 6th, 01

To The Supt Mercantile Marine

            Milford Haven



                In answer to your query as to why the collision which took place between my vessel and the schooner Lynwood in Waterford Harbour on the 10th Jany last was not entered in the official logbook of the vessel, I beg to state that owing to press of work, seeing about our own and the Lynwood's repairs, it quite escaped my memory at the time.

                                I am very sorry that you should have had cause to complain, I trust the omission will be overlooked this time.  I promise to be more careful in keeping my Log Book in the future.

                                                                                                                                                  I am, Sir,


                                                                                                                                                        Yours obediently,


                                                                                                                                                         Hy James

                                                                                                                                                         Master Fuchsia.



The Times, Saturday, Sep 12, 1903; pg. 5; Issue 37184; col E
     The Gale.



WALES. ....  At Milford Haven, William Holland, the boatswain of the steam trawler Fuchsia, was washed overboard off the fishing ground at Smalls and drowned.  He was a native of Yarmouth.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 16th September 1903:


    The hurricane which sprang upon us suddenly on Thursday was one of the fiercest known in this district for many years. ....  Not for many years has the Haven experienced such a storm.  Springing up about mid-day, the gale blew fiercely from the south-west till about 7.30 p.m., when it suddenly chopped around to the north-west.  There was a heavy tide, and the effect of this sudden change in the direction of the wind was disastrous.  Vessels which were riding securely through the gale at anchor were suddenly thrown back upon their anchors, which parted, and they were at once adrift.


    The steam trawler "Fuchsia" (Messrs. Sellick, Morley and Price) was on the fishing grounds at the Smalls when suddenly she shipped a heavy sea, and the boatswain, William Holland, a native of Yarmouth, is believed to have been washed overboard.  No one saw the accident happen, but no other conclusion is possible.  The crew were below at tea, and only the boatswain and the man at the wheel were on deck at the time.  The steersman believed Holland was also at his tea, but instead of that he seems to have been anxious lest the heavy seas should get below the hatches and swamp the boat.  At any rate, he was seen to take a hammer and nails, and some pieces of wood, to batten down the bunker holes.  While he must have been doing this, a heavy sea came aboard, and the vessel lurched, and when she righted, the boatswain was not to be seen.  He was a quiet, inoffensive man, well known and greatly liked in Milford.  He was a widower with two sons.  On Friday, Messrs. Sellick, Morley and Price's boats in dock were all flying flags at half-mast.



From the Weekly Mail of Saturday, 2nd December 1905:



        A remarkable feat has been accomplished by the Milford steam trawler Fuchsia, which rescued four men of the crew of the Belfast steamer Lord Dufferin, who were picked up off Bantry Bay in a small boat, in which they had been exposed for 24 hours. The Lord Dufferin on Saturday last left Port Talbot on her voyage to Baltimore, U.S.A., and fine weather and a smooth sea prevailed until about midnight on Sunday, when the tail-end shaft broke, causing a terrible noise, and startling those on board. In her crippled condition it was considered that the sooner assistance could be obtained the better for the ship and her crew. At ten o'clock on Monday morning one of the steamer's boats was provisioned, and the third officer (Mr. Williamson) and three of the crew boarded the frail craft, and left in search of help for the Lord Dufferin, which was then drifting about on the high seas, some 60 miles from the nearest point of the coast of Cork. It was a trying task to manage in a small open boat on the broad Atlantic with a rising sea and a freshening wind. After several ineffectual attempts to attract the attention of passing steamers by the firing of rockets Mr. Williamson and his brave companions decided to make for Bantry Bay, and after enduring the ordeal of 24 hours in an exposed boat without rest they succeeded in reaching the Bay of Bantry. Here the steam trawler Fuchsia fell in with them, and, after getting Mr. Williamson and his companions on board, steamed out to sea in order to render assistance to the Lord Dufferin. By the time she reached the Lord Dufferin the disabled steamer had been taken in tow by the steamer Capella, from Galveston for Liverpool, and both were heading for Cork Harbour.



From the Weekly Mail of Saturday, 10th February 1906:


The steam trawler Fuchsia on Wednesday landed at Milford Haven the crew of the steam trawler Hindustan. The skipper of the Hindustan reports that she sprang a leak fifteen miles off the Salters [ Saltees ] on Tuesday and foundered two hours afterwards. The Hindustan had a good cargo of fish, and was due at Milford on Wednesday. She was the property of Messrs. Houston and Davies, Milford Haven.


From the Weekly Mail of Saturday, 15th September 1906:


        Yet another has to be added to the long list of steam trawlers belonging to Milford Haven which have been lost this year. On Wednesday morning the steam trawler Fuchsia (Messrs. Sellick, Morley, and Price) arrived in dock having aboard the crew of the trawler Marec, of the same firm, and reported the loss of the latter vessel. It appears that the Marec lost her propeller at sea and was being towed home by the Fuchsia, when at 2 o'clock that morning, 85 miles to the westward of St. Anne's Head, she sank. The skipper (H. Rich) and crew of eight were got safely on board the Fuchsia.


From the Cardiff Times and South Wales Weekly News of Saturday, 15th August 1908:


Talking With the Dead.


    A determined case of suicide off St. Anne's Head was investigated by Mr Price, the coroner, at Milford Haven, yesterday afternoon. The evidence showed that Henry Monroe (35), a native of Banffshire, employed as second engineer on the Fuchsia, Milford Haven, had had some drinking bouts lately. On Tuesday afternoon, when the trawler was off St. Anne's, he said he wished all the crew good-bye, as he could hear voices telling him that he was going to die. He said he had been talking to his mother and other departed relatives.

    Wm. James Paines, the chief engineer, said that at deceased's request he gave him some paper and a pencil to write to his father. He shook hands with him, and said he was going to die. When witness turned round deceased ran up the ladder, jumped overboard, and was drowned before he could be rescued.

    Dr. Walker said there were no marks of violence on the body, and the jury returned a verdict of "Suicide during temporary insanity."



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 21st January 1910:



A rare species of fish, in British waters, was seen at the market on Saturday morning when the steam trawler "Fuchsia" landed a large sturgeon amongst her catch. The sturgeon was 18-ft. 3-in. long, 16-in. wide, and weighed about two hundredweight. When sold by public auction it was purchased by Messrs. Stanley Pibel and Co., for the sum of 7 10s.



From The Pembroke County Guardian and Cardigan Reporter of Friday 23rd December 1910:


Terrible Experiences at Sea.

    On Saturday morning, as a result of the previous day's gale, several trawlers and other vessels put into the harbour, and reported terrible experiences whilst at sea. The steam trawler "Fuschia" had her lifeboat carried away, wheel-house windows smashed, and her bunkers shifted, and she had great difficulty in making port. Later, the Milford steam trawler "Gloxinia" brought in five men from off the Norwegian steamer "Fford," of Christiania, which was lying in the Dale Roads. All the men were more or less injured, and were taken ashore, where they were medically treated. The Milford steam trawler "Weymouth" arrived and reported that the mate, named Frank Wittemore, had been washed overboard at sea.



The Times, Friday, Apr 23, 1915; pg. 8; Issue 40836; col F
     News in Brief


MURDEROUS attack on a trawler crew

    The Milford Haven trawler Fuchsia arrived at Aberdeen yesterday morning having on board the crew of the Aberdeen trawler Envoy, which was shelled by a German submarine off the East Coast on Wednesday night.

    A hot fire was kept up while the crew of the Envoy launched their small boat, in which they were afloat two hours before being picked up.  The Germans continued to fire on them while they were in the boat, but no one was injured.  They were unable to say whether the Envoy was sunk.



Back to Trawlers 1888-1914