With thanks to Jenny Mooney []

See below as LO249

Official No:  129281    Port Number and Year: 32nd in Hull, 1910 (H108)

                                                                                    -     -  London, 1940 (LO249)

Description: Steel side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged. Crabber. 

Crew: 9 men (1910); 10 men (1929).  

Built: 1910, by Goole Shipbuilding and Repairs Co. (Yard no.133)

Tonnage: 192 grt  71 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 110.1 / 21.6 / 11.9

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 55 rhp.; by Earles & Co., Hull



As H108

10 Aug 1910: Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd., Hull

Managers: George Beeching, 114 Westbourne Ave.,  Hull;                                          (10 Aug 1910 -

                  & John E. A. Kelsall, 'Donegal House House', Love Lane, City, London.          - together.)     

                  John Slater, 7 East India Ave., London EC3. (7 Jun 1919)

                  Robert Burton, St. Andrew's Dock, Hull. (22 Oct 1928)

                  Charles H. Emerson, St. Andrew's Dock, Hull. (16 Sep 1932)


16 Dec 1936: Plymouth Mutual Steam Fishing Co. Ltd., 36 Southside St., Plymouth

Manager: John Chant, 7 Radford Park Rd., Plymstock, Devon.


1937: Torbay Trawlers Mutual Steam Fishing Co. Ltd., The Quay, Brixham.

Manager: Arthur Dexter. [5 Jan 1938; same address.]


7 Jan 1938: Thomas Perrett, Newtown Abbot.                          (  64/64  joint

Arthur Dexter, Brixham. (Managing owner; 17 Jan 1938.)          owners.)


9 Mar 1940: Heward Trawlers Ltd., 15 King St., St. James's, London SW1.

Manager: Robert Scott Hewett.   

17 Apr 1940: As LO249.


May 1940: Great Northern Fishing Co. Ltd., London & Fleetwood.

Manager: Robert S. Hewett


Mar 1945: Richard Gorden Parsley, Docks, Milford.


1954:  Don Trawlers Ltd., Docks, Milford.

Managing owner: Richard Gorden Parsley.


Landed at Milford: 13 Mar 1945 - 17 Mar 1946; 15 Jan, 3 Mar 1954 - 10 May 1955.

Skippers: 1953: Len Brown; G. King; G. Harding; H. Gue; H. Everett; T. Bartlett.

1954: H. Gue; Len Brown; H. Everett; G. King; G. Harding.


Grosbeak is a seed-eating bird with large beak; the Pine Grosbeak has been reported as an occasional visitor in parts of England and Scotland.

Oct 1914:  Requisitioned by the Admiralty and converted to a minesweeper (Admy.No.660). 1x12 pdr.

Based at Granton.

26 Apr 1918:  Transferred to Kirkwall.  

12 Dec 1918:  Reported for duty at Immingham. 

12 Mar 1919: Returned to owners.

6 Mar 1936:  At an Extraordinary General Meeting at Hull, Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co. Ltd. placed in Creditors’ Voluntary Winding-up (Richard Field Helm of Messrs Hodgson Harris & Co, London appointed liquidators). 

16 Apr 1940:  Hull registry closed.

May 1940:   Fishing out of Fleetwood. 

15 Feb 1945:  Last landing at Fleetwood.

19 Aug 1955: Sailed to Llanelly (Skipper Len Brown), for breaking up.

[Further information and corrections are kindly supplied by Gil Mayes.]

 Accidents and Incidents

From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 15th February 1946:


    As a direct sequel to the dispute between the Skippers and Mates Section of the T.&G.W.U and the owners of pair fishing trawlers over the employment of Spanish Fishing Masters, the Spanish method of pareja-fishing has ceased at Milford.

    The "Charmouth" and "Grackle" have already been converted to fish solo, while the "Trumpeter" and "Shama", the other boats belonging to the Pair Fishing Co., will be converted later this month.  The Don Trawler Company's "Tanager" and "Grosbeak" are also coming in for alterations pending their return to fishing singly.

    It will be remembered that the skippers and mates claimed that demobilised local skippers should be put in as masters instead of the Spanish uncertificated fishermen holding the berths, one on each trawler in addition to a normal skipper.  The owners claimed that the Spaniards were indispensable, and that if the Union persisted, they would either move their boats to another port, or convert them to fish singly.  There was a deadlock for a few weeks, and as the skippers and mates were adamant, the trawlers are being converted, but will not leave the port.

    Taking another step in their new policy of fishing with single boats, the Pair Fishing Company has purchased the Castle boat "John Lister" from the Iago Trawling Company of Fleetwood, with which Capt. E. D. W. Lawford is associated.  She will be at Milford early next month, and Skipper Reggie High will be in charge of her.

    The "Charmouth" has been taken out on her first solo trip by Skipper Jack Garnham.




From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 15th February 1946:


    With Skipper Len Brown, Shakespeare Avenue, at the helm, the s.t. Grosbeak sailed for Llanelly this morning for breaking up.  The Grosbeak is owned by the Don Steam Trawling Company.


Back Row L-R:  Fireman Cynog Williams, Deckies Jack Rose (Dewsland Street, Milford) & Tom McGeaw, Fireman Vincent Chipriot (a Maltese From Jury Lane, Haverfordwest)

Front Row: Chief Eng Arty Thomas (Little Haven), Deckie George Owston, Mate Bert Everett (11 Greville Road, Milford), Skipper Lenny Brown (Milford), Cook Hubert Bevan (Milford),

Bosun S.P .Piper,  2nd Eng Billy Nicholas (Hazelbeach)

John Stevenson Collection


As LO249

Roger Worsley Archive


Back to Other Registrations A - H