Official No: 143791 Port and Year: London, 1919 (LO160)
Aberdeen, 1934 (A11)
Description: Strath Class steel side trawler; coal fired. Ketch rigged.
Crew: 10 men (1919; 1934).
Built: by Hawthorns & Co., Leith, in 1918. (Yard no. 156)
Tonnage: 203 grt 78 net
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 115.4 / 22.2 / 12.1
Engine: T 3-Cyl; 57 rhp; by builders
As GEORGE HODGES LO160
8 Dec 1919: The Admiralty, London.
Manager: The Secretary of the Admiralty, Whitehall, London SW1.
Dec 1919: Vanessa Fishing Co. Ltd., Bank Chambers, London Rd., Lowestoft.
Manager: Leonard C. Cockrell
14 Feb 1920: As HOOD LO160.
20 Nov 1924: Arthur S. Bowlby, Gilston Park, Harlow, Essex.
Manager: Edward D. W. Lawford, 'Oakland Cottage', Hakin, Milford.
1928: Robert Taylor & Sons Ltd., 59 Yeaman Shore, Dundee.
Manager: William N. Taylor, 57 Yeaman Shore, Dundee.
29 Nov 1932: James Craig, Joseph Craig, William Craig, and Alexander Slater, Aberdeen.
John Craig, North Esplanade East, Aberdeen.
8 Feb 1934: As A11
Landed at Milford: 25 Jan 1920 - 13 Dec 1928.
George Hodges, born in Bristol, age 28; Pte. R.M., HMS VICTORY, at Trafalgar.
Hood was named after the last battlecruiser in the Royal Navy (1920-41), which was also named after the 18th-century Admiral Samuel Hood (1724–1816). [Wikipedia.]
20 Jun 1918: Delivered to the Admiralty as GEORGE HODGES (Admy. no. 3820). 1 x 12 pdr.
Jan 1929 - Jun 1932: Laid up?
12 Aug 1938: Ashore Brotherton Point, half a mile east of Johnshaven, Kincardineshire. Weather fine, sea smooth; bottom apparently undamaged. [The Times, Saturday, 13 Aug 1938.]
18 Nov 1938: An Aberdeen BoT Inquiry found that the grounding of the HOOD and her total loss was the fault of Skipper Alexander Cowie of Torry, Aberdeen. [The Times, Monday, 21 Nov 1938.]
22 Nov 1938: Register closed.
[Thanks to Andy Hall for information.]
Back to Other Registrations A-H