Official No:  93104                   Port Number and Year: 11th in Hull (1887) H14

Description:  Iron side trawler.

Crew: 8

Built: 1887; Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley.  (Yard no. 18)

Tonnage: 133 grt, 62 net

Length / breadth / depth (feet):  95.0 / 20.7 / 10.7

Engine:  C.2-cyl (?) 35nhp.



10 Mar 1887: Francis & Thomas Ross, 1 Railway St., Hull. (1887-1897)

                       F. & T. Ross, Ltd., Hull. (1897-1917)

Manager: Thomas Ross, 1 Railway St., Hull.


Landed at Milford: 3 Oct 1889 - 7 May 1890; 18 Dec 1891 - 15 Jun 1893; 11 Oct 1894 - 15 Jul 1895

Skippers: John, 1889-90;

Ferrand W.H. , 1891- May 1892 (See 1893 newspaper report below.)

Searne (?), May - June 1892.

Bromley, Jul - Sep 1892

Garnet, Sep 1892 -Mar 1893

Limbrick R., Apr - Jun 1893

Watson, Oct 1894 - Apr 1895

Elmsby, Jun 1895

Dove, Jun - Jul 1895


25 Mar 1917:  Stopped by UC-75 (Oberleutnant zur See Johannes Lohs) and sunk by opening the scuttles off Scotland. Crew not recovered from the lifeboats; all 9 lost.

5 May 1917: Vessel recorded as missing in Hull Register.

 Accidents and Incidents:

From the  Glasgow Herald, of Monday 25th November, 1889:


The steam trawler Industria, of Hull, sank at Milford Haven dock at twelve o'clock on Friday night with a cargo of fish on board.  The crew were on shore at the time.


From The York Herald,  of Monday 25th November, 1889:


Industria, steam trawler, of Hull, struck dock wall in entering Milford Haven, and sank inside, alongside dock wall.


From The Carmarthen Journal & South Wales Weekly Advertiser of Friday 13th December 1889:



    On Thursday and Friday some very interesting salvage operations were witnessed at Milford Haven. About a fortnight ago the large steam fish carrier Industria, of Hull, ran into the pier quay, damaging her bows to such an extent as to cause her to sink in five fathoms at low water. Arrangements were accordingly entered into between the Humber Steam Trawlers' Insurance Company and Messrs W. H. Tucker and Co., of James-street, Bute Docks, Cardiff, who contracted to raise the ship. The difficulty with which they had to contend can easily be imagined, as the repairs and the complete battening down of the whole of the ship had to be done by divers, after which two large centrifugal pumps were lowered into her engine-room and hold, and worked by the salvage steamer Fastnet, which has recently been fitted up for this special work. Pumping commenced on Thursday, and the stern part of the ship was raised until it appeared about 20ft. above the surface. Early on Friday morning her bow was also floated, and the ship was then towed up the harbour, where she will undergo the necessary repairs. The whole of the salvage operations were carried out under the superintendence of Mr W. H. Tucker, of the above firm.



From  The Yorkshire Herald and The York Herald, of  Tuesday 24th January 1893; pg. 3; Issue 12992  (paragraphing added):


MISCONDUCT OF A HULL SKIPPER. ― CERTIFICATE SUSPENDED.――  Yesterday afternoon a Marine Board enquiry was held at Hull into a charge preferred by the Board of Trade against William Henry Ferrand, skipper of the steam trawler Industry [sic], for having left his vessel and gone ashore at Clare Island, Clew Bay, County Mayo, for the purpose of drinking, and that during his absence the vessel stranded.

    Mr. H. Saxelbye, instructed by the Board of Trade, appeared for the prosecution and in opening the case said that in April last, the trawler Industry, along with several other smacks [sic], was fishing out of Milford Haven.  On the afternoon of 6th April they were fishing in Clew Bay, north-west coast of Ireland, when defendant and five other skippers went on board the steam trawler Premier.  Here it was arranged that all should go on shore.  The defendant and two other skippers stayed ashore all night, and the other two returned to their vessels the same night.  It was alleged that these two men took the boat to their vessels when they went on board, and the other three, although they wanted, could not get to their vessels.

    The following morning the three men went down to the beach, and about 6 a.m. the master of the Industry was told his vessel was ashore.  It appeared that the second hand whilst going to fetch the skipper had got too near the rocks and ran ashore.  Subsequently the vessel was towed off by another trawler, the Admiral, also of Milford.  By some means the nets became entangled round the propeller and it was necessary to get back again on shore. 

    This was done, and the next morning the smack was tried and got ready for sea.  The defendant and the skipper of the Admiral then went to a public house and stayed there.  The defendant had since admitted that they stayed until he was the worse for drink, and when he went back he did not know his way out of the harbour, and his vessel the Industry was taken in tow by the Admiral.  For these services rendered by the Admiral the owners claimed 300 salvage and the case was brought before the judge of the County Court and Nautical Assessor on December 23rd, at Hull, when a verdict was given for 400.

    After evidence had been called, defendant said that he was on shore purposely to buy some food, for which purpose he had borrowed 2 from one of the skippers.  When his vessel went ashore it was not fast on the rocks, and it only took the Admiral about ten minutes to tow her off and he expected that the Admiral was giving him a friendly pull.  He would have done the same for the Admiral if necessary.  He absolutely denied the allegation that he was drunk at any time during their stay on shore.  He had held a master's certificate for competency for 21 years and this was the first time he had transgressed.―

    The court found that although Ferrand had evidently not been under the influence of drink, yet he had been guilty of gross misconduct for leaving his vessel without the consent of the owners and without leaving a competent man in charge, and thought they were adopting a lenient course by suspending his certificate for six calendar months.



From the  Glasgow Herald, of Thursday 30th May 1895; Issue 129:


A telegram from Plymouth, May 29, states that the steam trawler Industria, of Hull, in leaving Cattewater on Tuesday evening ran into the yacht Undine lying at anchor, causing damage to yacht and smashing a boat.





Back to Other Registrations I - P