Courtesy of Maurice Voss

Official No:  148976 (As ORDIE)     Port and Year:  Ostend, 1910 (O.140)

                                                                                        Aberdeen, 1930 (A119)

Description: Steel side trawler, coal burning


Built: 1910, by Cockerill Yards, Hoboken (Antwerp).  (Yard no. 502)

Tonnage:  222  grt  95 net

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 116.5 / 21.4 / 11.7

Engine: T-3 Cyl; 55 rhp, by Earle's Co., Hull.




5 Jul 1910:  Soc. Anon. Pêcheries à Vapeur, Ostend.

Manager: John Bauwens.
Dec 1915: As RAYMOND O.140



7 Apr 1930:  Alexander A. Davidson, Commercial Quay, Aberdeen.

Managing owner.


Landed at Milford:  As JACQUELINE: 16 Oct 1914 - 1 Dec 1915

As RAYMOND: 8 Dec 1915 - 31 Jul 1919



Ordie is Loch Ordie, in Perthshire.

Mar - Sep 1914: Chartered to the Société d'Etudes des Pêcheries au Congo for fishing trials in the Belgian Congo.

1914 - 19 Fishery Trawler.

17 Jul 1917: Stood by and picked up the surviving crew members of ASAMA CF12, sunk by gunfire from U-48 (Karl Edeling) on 16th July, 160 miles SW by S from the Fastnet. One fatality. [Information from Freddy Philips, Belgium.]

18 Feb 1933: As ORDIE A119, in the English Channel, took broken down Belgian trawler GABY in tow. [The Times, Monday 20th February 1933.]

1937: Broken up.

7 Jan 1938: Hull register closed.

[Information kindly supplied by Maurice Voss.]

 Accidents and Incidents

The Times, Friday, May 28, 1915; pg. 5; Issue 40866; col G


    Lloyd's agent at Milford Haven telegraphs that the steamer Morwenna, of 1,414 tons, bound from Cardiff for Sydney, C.B., in ballast, was torpedoed and shelled at 11.26 a.m. on Wednesday 160 miles west by south from St.Ann's Head.  The crew were landed yesterday morning by the Belgian steam trawler Jacqueline.  One man was killed and three wounded.


From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 2nd June 1915:


Submarine's Duel With Trawler


Local Man's Meeting With His Brother.

    On Thursday the Belgian steam trawler, Jacqueline, fishing out of Milford Haven, came into Milford with 29 of the crew of the cargo steamer Morwenna, belonging to Montreal, together with the dead body of one of the sailors and three wounded men. The Morwenna had been sunk by a torpedo fired by a German submarine 160 miles W. by S. of the Pembrokeshire Port. Thrilling stories were told by survivors, when seen by our representative at the John Cory Bethel, to which the wounded men were taken before being transferred to the Naval Hospital at Pembroke Dock. The story of the encounter was told at the inquest held on Friday, on the body of the victim of the hate of the Hun. The most striking feature was the heroism of the captain and crew of the trawler Jacqueline, who was half-a-mile off when the Morwenna was attacked, but immediately steamed up, and made repeated attempts to ram the submarine. So vigorous was the attack that the latter after sending a hail of shells at her steered off, and submerged herself. Failing in his gallant attempt to pay the German back in his own coin, the plucky Belgian turned his attention to rescuing the survivors of the Morwenna.

    The Morweuna was a steamer of 1,414 gross tonnage, and owned by the St. Lawrence Shipping Co. Ltd. Sydney, N.S.

    Arsènr Bloudi, the Belgian skipper, and his men, had a great reception when they landed.

    Mr Holmes, representative Dominion Coal Company paid the highest tribute to the conduct of the Belgian skipper. He said his countrymen should be proud of him, and had it not been for him not one of the crew of the Morwenna would not have escaped alive.


    The causalities are :—

Killed—Thomas Carrigan, seaman.

Wounded— Fred Le Vette. third engineer; A. Piercy, fireman, injury to knee by shell; John Johnson, steward, injury to the hand, which was hit by a shell.



    Johnson, when seen at the Bethel, said that all four of them were in the same boat, and were in the act of cutting away the tackle to heave away from the sinking ship when Carrigan was struck on the head, part of his head being blown off. Le Vette escaped death by a miracle. A shot penetrated his arm and leg, and another passed underneath his cap, causing a groove in the head from the front to the back. No one else in the boat was touched, and they were thankful when the trawler pluckily came up to them.

    As soon as they left the ship the Germans commenced to fire on the boats. Apart from the injury to the hand a shot passed by Johnson's neck.



    Jim Kennedy, a seaman, said he belonged to Newfoundland—in fact most of the crew came from there and a few from Canada. Just before 11 the previous morning someone said: "Come up here, there is a submarine."  He made for No. 1 boat, but was told to get back and go below to help stoke the ship which was going at 15 knots. They worked like niggers, and the chief commenced singing "Rule Britannia." However, it was no good, for the submarine was faster. The Belgian trawler came along. At first they thought it might be a German minelayer, but a flag was hoisted, and the trawler made straight for them. Shots rained round her.



    A singular coincidence in connection with the case was when the chief engineer of the Morwenna came ashore. His name is Richard Richards, and he is a brother of Mr James Richards, a well-known local ostler. His father was coachman and general factotum for many years with the late Dr. George Griffith. Richard Richards left Milford 31 years ago and had not been there for 11 years, but after leaving the dock he was passing up Charles Street and almost the first person he encountered was his own brother above-mentioned. Mr Richards married and settled in Canada after leaving Pembrokeshire.



RAYMOND in 1917

Courtesy of Maurice Voss


Back to Other Registrations I - P