Official No:  98832     Port and Year: Bristol, 1892 (BL5)

                                                                Middlesborough, 1920 (MH118)              

Description: Iron side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail and mizzen.

Crew: 10 men

Built: 1892, by Sir R. Dixon & Co., Middlesborough. (Yard no. 374)

Tonnage: 140 grt  48 net (1892); 59 net (1 Jan 1914.)

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 100.6 / 20.4 / 10.7

Engine: C 2-Cyl. 46 rhp., by North East Marine Engineering Co., Sunderland.



As BL5

Aug 1892: The Western Steam Trawling Co., Shannon Court, Bristol.

Manager: Frederick Joseph Sellick, 'Marine Villa', Murray Cres., Milford. (1892-c.1900.)

                Sydney M. Price, Milford. (c.1900-1919.)


1919: Steam Trawling and Shipping Agency, Ltd., Paragon Buildings, Hull.

Manager: James Paton. [Same address.]


As MH118

1920: Charles W. Robinson & William H. Crosthwaite, 8 Exchange Place, Middlesborough.

Managing owner: Charles W. Robinson. [Same address.]


Landed at Milford:  14 Dec 1892 - 29 Dec 1914; 4 May 1919 - 1 Mar 1920.


1892: Kingston

1893: Kingston; Raycroft; Smith

1894: Smith;

1895: Smith; Alexander

1896: Smith; Foreman; Holder;

1897: Holder; Samuel Longthorpe.

1898 - 1900: Longthorpe

1900 - 1905: Rumbold

1905: Yabsley

1906: Rumbold.

1920: James W. Goffin.


Jan 1915: Requisitioned by the Admiralty (Admy. no. 964). 1 x 12 pdr.

1919: Returned to owners.

1924: Broken up.

 Accidents and Incidents

From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 1st September 1897:



            The body of James Woodrow, boatswain of the new steam trawler “Doris”, who was drowned off the Smalls on the 19th inst., as reported in our last issue, was picked up by the trawler Lynmouth about ten miles from where the fatality occurred, on the evening of Thursday last, and was at once brought in to Milford Haven. Mr H. J. E. Price, coroner, and a jury, of whom Mr W. Page was foreman, held an inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the sad occurrence at the Globe Hotel on Friday afternoon last.

            The first witness called was Mr J. Chamberlain, master of the “Doris”. He deposed: I knew the deceased, James Woodrow, quite well. He was boatswain of the trawler of which I am the master, and was, I believe 34 years of age. We brought the boat round from Aberdeen, which place we left on the 11th August, and started fishing when we reached the Smalls. On the 19th (the morning of the accident) we were thirty miles south-west of the latter place. About two o'clock deceased was engaged in assisting to shoot the trawl, when from some cause or other, what is known as the messenger pulled him over. Immediately the alarm was given we got the lifebuoy and boat out but he never appeared on the surface again, or we should have seen him. It is quite possible he struck himself in going overboard. It was one of his regular duties he was engaged in. There was another man aft with him at the time. Deceased's duty was simply to guide the warp.

            By Mr Pearce (a juryman): The sea was smooth at the time and there was a light on the deck of the vessel.

            In reply to Mr Prior (a juryman), witness said that at the time of the fatality deceased was not in the position he should have been in, and he had been warned previously not to stand in that particular place.

            Samuel Longthorp deposed: I am skipper of the steam trawlerLynmouth”. Last night about midnight we were fishing about twenty miles south-west of the Smalls, and on pulling up the trawl found the body of the deceased in it. All the clothes were on. We returned to Milford at once. The body was recovered about ten miles further in than where the deceased was drowned.

            By a juryman: The body may have been dragged ten miles before hauling it up. We recognised the remains as those of Woodrow.

            Dr W. Griffith deposed: I examined the deceased and could find no injuries sufficient to cause death and in my opinion he died from drowning. He may possibly have been stunned in going overboard and that would account for his not rising again. A verdict of “Accidentally drowned” was returned. The majority of the jurymen left their fees for the widow of the deceased.



The Times, Tuesday, Mar 12, 1912; pg. 6; Issue 39844; col F

ILLEGAL TRAWLING OFF CORNWALL.For fishing within the three-mile limit off the north coast of Cornwall John Henry Bentley, master of the steam trawler Akraness, of Fleetwood,  was at Bodmin Petty Sessions yesterday fined £20 and costs; Henry Rostron, of the trawler Labore et Honore, of Swansea, was fined £60 and costs; and John William Eden, of Milford Haven, master of the trawler Lynmouth, £30 and costs.  In each case, the offence was committed between Tintagel Head and Trevose Head.  The prosecutions were initiated by the Cornwall Sea Fisheries Committee.


[ Note: At current values, the fines were roughly equivalent to £1,285, £3,850 and £1,925 respectively. ]



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 1st January 1913:



    The gales which have prevailed all round the coast were severely felt at Milford Haven, for the greater part of last week.  ... All the trawlers arriving at the fish market from Thursday onwards numbering about 25 all report terrible weather at sea, from every direction.  The Lynmouth off the Smalls had an awful experience and was almost submerged as was also the Fishergate, and the Solva too reported a similar story of the battle with the mountainous seas.  Almost every vessel was damaged in someway or another, some of course worse than others.  Bridge windows were smashed and gear carried away, and more than one ship had her lifeboat washed away.  Several vessels have had to seek shelter at various places on the Irish coast and those at sea were unable to fish and some of them returned with very small catches for about 15 days.  A few of the boats, which have been on the Portuguese and Morocco grounds, have made good voyages of hake and soles, the Albion grossing £400 on Thursday.  The home waters however are not productive and fish is scarce and unless the weather abates there will be a continued shortage of supply for some time yet.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 18th June 1919:


    Some excitement was manifested on the Milford Docks during last week when it became known that Messrs. Sellick, Morley and Price were disposing of their fleet of steam trawlers.  For a considerable time negotiations had been proceeding with the Consolidation Company of Grimsby, but these recently fell through.  It is gratifying to know that the greater portion of the fleet has been retained for the port, as will be seen from the following list.  Several local gentlemen having come forward, the competition was very keen.

    The Alnmouth, Weigelia, and Exmouth have been sold to Fleetwood firms, while the Charmouth, Macaw, Tacsonia, Rosa, Xylopia, Essex, Uhdea, Petunia, Lynmouth, Kalmia, Portsmouth, Weymouth, Syringa, Yarmouth and Magnolia have all found local buyers.

    This opens out the question of the need for local trades people and others to invest in the staple industry of this fishing port, as has been done in competing fishing centres.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 5th November 1919:



Trawlers Leave for Sea.

            At last a welcome trace has been brought about in the unfortunate dispute in the fishing industry at Milford Haven, arbitration having been to by both parties.

            On Wednesday last a conference took place at Swansea, over which Mr McKerrell, of the Ministry of Labour presided. Mr D.G Jones O.B.E., stated the case for the Milford Haven owners, and Mr H. E. Rees for the Swansea owners. The skippers and men's case was presented by Mr George Gunning, Swansea (District secretary of the National Sailors' and Firemen’s Union), with whom was Mr Shea. M.P., of the executive. Other delegates from the Union and owners at both ports were present, and protracted conferences were held. At the close the Chairman announced that court of arbitration would be set up, the chairman of which would be nominated by the Ministry of Labour.  In the meantime the men were to proceed to sea on the terms prevailing before the strike. The award would take effect as from the time the men returned to work.

            The news was received with great relief on Wednesday afternoon, and no time was lost in making arrangements for the sailings. A mass meeting of the men was held on Thursday morning at the Central Hall, when the report of the delegates was presented.

            During the afternoon, however, a hitch occurred. The engineers belong to a different union to the Skippers, mates and deck-hands the Milford Haven Amalgamated Steam Trawler Engineers' Union, which Mr J. C. Wilkinson organised many years ago. Since the men came out on strike it appears that they stuck out that the engineers should join the National Sailors' and Firemen’s Union, and maintained this attitude now and would not sail with the engineers. Mr Whittock, the men's secretary, and other leaders, pointed out the position to the men and called a further meeting on Friday, when Mr Gunning came down and further explained the position, after which the men agreed to go to sea on Monday, pending the arbitration.

            Monday witnessed a tremendous exodus from the Docks, which resumed a normal state of activity and bustle, the crews boarding the vessels and getting ready for work. Just after the hour of noon the first trawler left the dock, and for over an hour there was a string of vessels passing out the dock entrance into the Haven, something like 40 proceeding to the fishing grounds. One or two only were left behind, certain repairs not being completed, whilst the "Magnolia" and "Lynmouth' are fitting out previous lo leaving the port for Scarborough, to which port they have been sold.

            On Monday a liner landed a catch of conger, rober, etc., having returned from Fleetwood, whilst on Tuesday the s.t. Pembroke Castle, of Fleetwood, landed a small trip of mixed fish, having broken down on the fishing grounds. The vessel belonged to the Castle Company’s fleet, which formerly worked from Milford Haven under Mr Birt.

            It is possible that some of the trawlers may work short trips for the week-end. At any rate there will surely be a supply of fish for Monday.



From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 23rd January 1920:


    A tragic affair was made known at Milford Haven on Tuesday morning, when the steam trawler "Lynmouth" arrived in dock.  Skipper Goffin reported that one of the crew, Bertie Picton, was drowned at sea the previous day. 

    It appears that the unfortunate man was leaving the wheelhouse when he fell into the surging sea.  His shipmates, seeing his predicament, threw out a line, but it would seem that he must have struck the bulwark in his fall and was stunned, because he made no attempt to respond to the crew's efforts.  Moreover, he was regarded as a very strong swimmer.

    Deceased was the son of Mr. John Picton, Priory Hill, and was well known in Milford.  He went to France with his unit, the Pembrokeshire R.G.A., rising to the rank of sergeant in his battery, and for his gallantry was awarded the M.M.  He was about 32 years of age and single, and was formerly a prominent football player.  Since boyhood he had worked on the fish market, and only recently went to sea, this in fact being his second trip.

    Deep sympathy is felt for the relatives in their grief.



Back to Other Registrations I - P