Official No:    108432   Port Number and Year: 9th in Milford, 1898

                                                                                   -   in Scarborough, 1919  (SH160)

                                                                                   -   in Fleetwood, 1925 (FD37)

Description:  Steel side / beam trawler.  Steam screw; coal burner. Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail and mizzen. 

Crew: 9 men (1898); 10 men (14 Jul 1919.)

Registered at Milford: 23 Nov 1898

Built: J. Duthie & Sons, Aberdeen,1898  (Yard no. 198)

Tonnage: 183.9 gross 37.05 net (> 72.83 net; tonnage amended 1 Jan 1914.)

Length / breadth / depth (feet):  111.0 / 20.8 / 11.3

Engine: T-3Cyl. 61 rhp.; made by Whyte & Mair, Dundee



As M146

23 Nov 1898:  Cornelius Cecil Morley, Portlaw, Co. Waterford.

William Goff Davis-Goff, Glenville, Co. Waterford

Manager: F.J. Sellick.


9 Mar 1903: Southern Steam Trawling Co., 127 Quay, Waterford.

(Messrs. Sellick, Morley and Price, Milford Docks.)

Manager: Cornelius Cecil Morley, Milford.  


10 Jul 1919: John McRae Knight, Hakin.

John Young, St.Brides, Little Haven.

Francis James Smith, 20 Shakespeare Ave., Milford.

Managing owner: John McRae Knight.


As SH160

3 Sep 1919: Abraham Moore, 1 Stepney Rd., Scarborough.

Managing owner.


1922: Co-operative Fishing Society, 7 Sandside, Scarborough

Manager: Christopher Naylor.  (Same address.) (1922-23.)

                Charles A. Oxley, 72 Tennyson Ave., Scarborough. (1923-25)


As FD37

1925: Magnolia Steam Fishing Co., 230 Dock St., Fleetwood.

Manager: Rowland Morris. (Same address.)


1928: Peter Hancock & Sons, Docks, Milford.

 Manager: Reginald Llewellyn Hancock.


Landed at Milford:

As M146: 18 Sep 1899 - 5 Jan 1915; 19 Mar - 28 Aug 1919

As FD37:  3 Aug - 24 Sep 1927; 8 Feb - 11 Jun 1928 [Foundered on 25 Jun. See below.]



G. Horth cert. no. 01147, age 45, born Caistor; signed on  3 Sep 1899; 10 Jan, 5 Jul 1900;

Samuel Robert Longthorpe 2536, 33, Hull; 3 Oct 1900; 26 Sep 1901; 16 Jan, 2 Jul 1902; 11 Jan 1903

J. Kean 5113, 33, London; 4 Sep 1901;

J. Joyce 5562, 36, Manchester; 2 Jan 1902;

O. Barnes 3860, 29, Brixham; 12 May, 7 Jul 1903

Matthew Kingston 4536, 35, Hull; 22 Oct 1903; 29 Jul 1904

J. Stanfield 06284, 40, Sheffield; 1 Jan 1904

H. Smith 3858, 42, Lincoln; 9 Jan 1905

B. H. Blockwell 2523, 41, Yarmouth; 3 May, 1 Aug 1905; 2 Jan, 6 Jul 1906; 10 Jan, 28 Jul 1910; 6 Jan 1911; 27 Aug 1912

T. Roach 7077, 28, Milford; 7 Jan, 2 Jul 1908

Francis Folland 7982, 28, Plymouth; 12 Sep 1908; 7 Jan, 22 Sep 1909

W. Horst 5391, 46, Grimsby; 21 Dec 1910

F. Reynolds 8147, 51, Scarborough; 10 May 1911

F. Smith 5288, 36, Tenby; 3 Jun, 5 Jul 1911; 4 Jan, 1 Jul 1912

G. Garnish 3728, 42, Essex; 15 Dec 1911

J. Cutler 5311, 43, Yarmouth; 7 Jan, 4 Jul 1913

D. Smith 3566, 45, Lincoln; 28 Aug, 15 Sep 1913


Jul 1915: Requisitioned by the Admiralty and converted to minesweeper. ( 790)

and renamed MAGNOLIA III. Returned to owners in 1919.

25 Jun 1928: Foundered off the west coast of Ireland.  Crew, including Skipper Walter Perry, picked up by the Swansea trawler AMROTH CASTLE SA8  [See below.]

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 16 Oct 1919.  Vessel transferred to the port of Scarborough.

 Accidents and Incidents:

Log book entries:



While about 50 miles north of Mine Head Light,  the S.S. "Reginald" struck "Magnolia" damaging rails and side plates whilst steaming NW by N for Ballycotton Light.

S.S. "Reginald" starboard his helm striking "Magnolia" on the starboard quarter.

    Samuel Robert Longthorpe. (Skipper).



12 miles WNW Cape Prior.

Collision, slightly damaging our starboard bow.  Steam trawler B.2672 towing into our starboard bow.

    M. Kingston. (Skipper).

    J. Stanfield. (Mate).




Loss of ships boat, heavy sea damaging and carrying away boat.

    B. H. Blockwell. (Skipper).



Spoke to "Ida Schimer" steamer of Rostock.  Spoke to steamer at seven thirty p.m.  Asked me to lay on till daylight to assist him into Falmouth at 2 o'clock. 

With the assistance of "Penguin" of Plymouth, got to Falmouth at eight p.m. December 16th, 1906.  Position of ship SSW of Longships.  Wind strong WNW, two miles.

    B. H. Blockwell. (Skipper).



63 miles W by N 1 N from St. Ann's Head.

James Bennett, age 26, fourth hand; British, born Swansea, residing Swansea.

Drowned, fell overboard due to rolling of the ship.

    B. H. Blockwell. (Skipper).

[ See newspaper report below. ]


7 p.m., 40 miles WNW from the Smalls.

Weather light breeze from NNW, sea smooth.

Whilst towing we heard vessel blowing for assistance and found it was the steam trawler "Emerald" with boiler given out.  We took him in tow for Milford arriving here about 6 a.m. December 30th,.

    W. Horst. (Skipper).



35 miles W. from St.Ann's Head.

W. Berryman, age 24, Fifth Hand; British, born London, residing Milford.

Trawl board struck him on left hip bruising same.  His left shoulder was also injured.

    B. H. Blockwell. (Skipper).

    J. Reynolds. (Second Hand). 01472.



At Sea.

A. Saunders, age 18, Decky; British, residing at Hakin.

Wounding of the arm - cause - slipping of knife.



At Sea.

P. Wicks, age 51, fourth hand; British, born Liverpool, residing at Milford.

Badly bruised back - cause - bollard slippery.

    B. H. Blockwell. (Skipper).

    D. Smith. (Second Hand 8566)



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 12th April 1901:


Illegal Trawling.


        At Tralee Petty Sessions on Tuesday, Samuel Longthorp, skipper of the steam trawler Mangolia [sic], of Milford Haven, was prosecuted for trawling within the prescribed limits of the coast of Kerry. Mr T. J. Liston, solicitor, Tralee, for the defendant, pleaded guilty.

        Mr C. J. Murphy, for the prosecution, explained that Captain McAuley, of the Government cruiser Helga, had caught the Mangolia poaching off the coast of Ireland. He had a letter from the Secretary of the Irish Agricultural and Technical Instruction Department which would show that the owners of the steam trawler had received ample warning. The letter referred to informed Messrs Sellick and Price, of Milford, owners of the Mangolia, that two of their trawlers had been detected by the Government cruiser Helga on the morning of the 11th February trawling within the prescribed limits off the coast of Wexford. For some time past the machinery for enforcing the fishery bye-laws had been in abeyance, but they were now in a position to enforce them, and he hoped that the owners of steam trawlers from Milford Haven and elsewhere would be warned to that effect. During the present month of April the Mangolia had been found in Ballinspellige Bay, a long way inside the limits, and he would ask to have the full penalty imposed. The fine would not fall on the skipper of the trawler, but on the owners. He would estimate the expenses at £10.

        The Bench fined defendant £5, and allowed £10 costs. 



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 19th December 1902:

THE GALE.ó The bad weather of the past few days has been severely felt at Milford, and many vessels have come into the Haven for shelter. Yesterday morning the "Assyrian," a steam trawler belonging to Mr Oswald, was going out of harbour when the heavy wind caught her, and she collided with the quay wall smashing her stem. She had to be brought back into dock for repairs. The "Magnolia," belonging to Messrs Morley, Sellick, and Price, also collided with the quay wall on going to sea, and her stem was injured, though to a less extent. She also returned to harbour for repairs. 


From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 15th October 1909:




The steam trawler Magnolia, of Milford, put back into dock and reported the loss of the third hand, James Bennett (24) a native of Swansea. This man only came from that port on Wednesday, and was shipped next day. ..... About 11 o'clock on Saturday, one of the crew observed Bennett struggling in the water. The vessel was on the fishing grounds, about 70 miles to the Westward of St. Ann's and as the gear was down at the time, it was impossible to go astern. His mates did all in their power to rescue the man and they threw out the life belt, but although he swam strongly and bravely, he failed to get to it. His cries for help were pitiful. The boat was also lowered as soon as the discovery was made, but before it could reach the unfortunate fellow he disappeared and was lost to sight. The Skipper F. Folland put about and the vessel arrived at Milford early on Sunday morning and reported the sad affair.


[ The transcribed log book entry above gives B.H. Blockwell as the skipper. ]


From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 8th January 1915:


The motor driven cargo vessel "Anholt" has been towed into Milford by the local steam trawler "Magnolia", having been picked up off St Ann's Head in a

helpless condition. The "Anholt" was bound from Glasgow to the West Indies with a cargo of coal and oil and had left port on December 4th. She had got as far south as Cape Finisterre when her motor machinery broke down and prevented the vessel continuing her voyage. When seen by the trawler she was in a perilous position and in danger of drifting on to the rocks.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 18th June 1919:


    Some excitement was manifested on the Milford Docks during last week when it became known that Messrs. Sellick, Morley and Price were disposing of their fleet of steam trawlers.  For a considerable time negotiations had been proceeding with the Consolidation Company of Grimsby, but these recently fell through.  It is gratifying to know that the greater portion of the fleet has been retained for the port, as will be seen from the following list.  Several local gentlemen having come forward, the competition was very keen.

    The Alnmouth, Weigelia, and Exmouth have been sold to Fleetwood firms, while the Charmouth, Macaw, Tacsonia, Rosa, Xylopia, Essex, Uhdea, Petunia, Lynmouth, Kalmia, Portsmouth, Weymouth, Syringa, Yarmouth and Magnolia have all found local buyers.

    This opens out the question of the need for local trades people and others to invest in the staple industry of this fishing port, as has been done in competing fishing centres.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 5th November 1919:



Trawlers Leave for Sea.

            At last a welcome trace has been brought about in the unfortunate dispute in the fishing industry at Milford Haven, arbitration having been to by both parties.

            On Wednesday last a conference took place at Swansea, over which Mr McKerrell, of the Ministry of Labour presided. Mr D.G Jones O.B.E., stated the case for the Milford Haven owners, and Mr H. E. Rees for the Swansea owners. The skippers and men's case was presented by Mr George Gunning, Swansea (District secretary of the National Sailors' and Firemenís Union), with whom was Mr Shea. M.P., of the executive. Other delegates from the Union and owners at both ports were present, and protracted conferences were held. At the close the Chairman announced that court of arbitration would be set up, the chairman of which would be nominated by the Ministry of Labour.  In the meantime the men were to proceed to sea on the terms prevailing before the strike. The award would take effect as from the time the men returned to work.

            The news was received with great relief on Wednesday afternoon, and no time was lost in making arrangements for the sailings. A mass meeting of the men was held on Thursday morning at the Central Hall, when the report of the delegates was presented.

            During the afternoon, however, a hitch occurred. The engineers belong to a different union to the Skippers, mates and deck-hands ó the Milford Haven Amalgamated Steam Trawler Engineers' Union, which Mr J. C. Wilkinson organised many years ago. Since the men came out on strike it appears that they stuck out that the engineers should join the National Sailors' and Firemenís Union, and maintained this attitude now and would not sail with the engineers. Mr Whittock, the men's secretary, and other leaders, pointed out the position to the men and called a further meeting on Friday, when Mr Gunning came down and further explained the position, after which the men agreed to go to sea on Monday, pending the arbitration.

            Monday witnessed a tremendous exodus from the Docks, which resumed a normal state of activity and bustle, the crews boarding the vessels and getting ready for work. Just after the hour of noon the first trawler left the dock, and for over an hour there was a string of vessels passing out the dock entrance into the Haven, something like 40 proceeding to the fishing grounds. One or two only were left behind, certain repairs not being completed, whilst the "Magnolia" and "Lynmouth' are fitting out previous lo leaving the port for Scarborough, to which port they have been sold.

            On Monday a liner landed a catch of conger, rober, etc., having returned from Fleetwood, whilst on Tuesday the s.t. Pembroke Castle, of Fleetwood, landed a small trip of mixed fish, having broken down on the fishing grounds. The vessel belonged to the Castle Companyís fleet, which formerly worked from Milford Haven under Mr Birt.

            It is possible that some of the trawlers may work short trips for the week-end. At any rate there will surely be a supply of fish for Monday.



From an unknown local newspaper, in the week beginning 4th December 1927:


    An action remitted from the High Court was heard at the Liverpool County Court relating to the seizure of two catches of fish which were landed at Milford Haven by Fleetwood trawlers.  Plaintiffs were Messrs. Peter Hancock and Sons, Shipowners and builders, of Milford Haven, who claimed that the proceeds of the catches were their property, and not that of the defendant, Mr. Arthur M. Goldsmith, of Stockport Road, Manchester, and judgement creditor for £250. 

    Mr. E. Gething for the plaintiffs said that early this year Messrs. Peter Hancock and Sons carried out to the steam trawlers "Magnolia" and "Sydnelsie", owned by the Magnolia Steam Fishing Company of Fleetwood, repairs equipment and overhauling.  As means of reimbursing them, the owners agreed to allow Messrs. Hancock to take over the work and to appropriate the proceeds of their catches until such time as all the disbursement had been met.  At the present time there was still about £1,500 owing on account of the work done and money expended.  Mr. Goldsmith, the defendant, had supplied bunker coals to the Magnolia Steam Fishing Company, and having obtained judgement for £250 the Sheriff, on his instructions, took possession of the two catches of fish landed at Milford Haven. Mr. Gething submitted that Messrs. Peter Hancock had a lien on the catches and earnings of the two trawlers until the whole of their claims had been satisfied.

    Judge Thomas said but for the expenditure on the trawlers by Messrs. Hancock, and the terms arrived at, the vessels would not have been able to operate.  He gave judgement for the plaintiffs, with costs, including the High Court costs and Sheriff's charges.  A stay of execution was granted for fourteen days.



From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 29th June 1928:


        A wireless message reached Cove on Tuesday morning, stating that the British trawler "Magnolia", of Fleetwood, with a broken propeller shaft, had been taken in tow by the Swansea steam trawler "Amroth Castle", some fourteen miles south of the Fastnet.

    A later wireless message was received from the "Amroth Castle", stating that the "Magnolia" had sunk some fourteen miles south-east of the Fastnet.  Her crew were safe aboard the "Amroth Castle", which was then underway for Berehaven.  The "Magnolia" is owned by Mr. R. L. Hancock, Hakin, Milford.


Berehaven, Tuesday.

    On Monday night at 10.30 pm, whilst some 20 miles off the Fastnet lighthouse, the steam trawler "Magnolia", Skipper Walter Perry, Milford Haven, met with an accident which caused her to sink.

    The first intimation that anything was wrong was when the engines began to race, and there was a crash to the vessel's stern, through which the water began to pour.  Flares were immediately burned, and answered by the Swansea trawler "Amroth Castle", Skipper W. Lloyd, of Swansea, three miles away, which vessel made all haste to the assistance of the disabled one, and took her in tow.

    Despite the most heroic work of the engine room staff and all hands of the "Magnolia", they were forced to abandon the vessel at 2.30 am on Tuesday morning.  Soon afterwards, she disappeared beneath the waves.

    The shipwrecked crew were brought to Berehaven.


From B.T. and R. Larn (2002):   Shipwreck Index of Ireland  

MAGNOLIA          19/06/1928


Co. Cork, Fastnet Rock, S of.    51.20N 09.36W



Foundered/total wreck or loss.



Back to Trawlers 1888-1914