Official No:  93936     Port and Year: 3rd in Glasgow, 1892 (GW4)

                                                                   -   in  Bristol, 1896 (BL9)

Description: Steel side trawler; steam twin screws, coal burning. Ketch rigged.


Built: 1892, by W. Hamilton, Port Glasgow. (Yard no. 85)

Tonnage: 142 grt  44 net

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 100.2 / 20.5 / 10.6

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 45 rhp., by D. Rowan & Son, Glasgow.



As GW4

Sep 1892: W. & J. Hamilton, Benclutha, Port Glasgow.

Manager: William Hamilton.


As BL9

1896: Western Steam Trawling Co., Shannon Court, Bristol.

Manager: Frederick Joseph Sellick, Docks, Milford.


Landed at Milford:  25 Feb 1896 - 7 Sep 1906

Skippers: 1896: Ebbesen; Clark; Walker; Dodd

1897: Dodd; Fernside; Watson; Nightingale; Royal

1898: Reynolds; Dove; Dodd.

1899: Dodd; Joyce; Scott.

1900: Scott; James; Smith; Wales.

1901: Wales; Smith; Saunderson; Dodd.

1902: Saunderson; Bostle;

1903: Saunderson; Masterson; Smith

1904: Smith; Woodgate;

1905: Smith; Scott; Britton; Rich;

1906: Rich


12 Sep 1906: Foundered off St. Ann's Head.  Crew saved by the Milford trawler FUCHSIA.

[See story below.]

 Accidents and Incidents

From the Western Mail of Monday, October 29, 1900; Issue 9806.




    The body of a man named James Lait (38), whose home is 58, Hunter Street, Cardiff, was found on Saturday floating in the Milford Docks.  Deceased was a mate aboard the fish trawler Maree [sic].  It is believed that he slipped into the water on his way to the ship for his clothes on Friday night.  At the inquest held on Saturday a verdict of "Found drowned" was returned.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 2nd May 1902:




    SERIOUS ACCIDENT ON THE DOCKS. On Monday, Thomas Atkins, a coal trimmer on the trawler "Marec" somehow got his fingers entangled in the warp whilst efforts were being made to bring the vessel in a favourable position for coaling purposes. His struggle to get himself free resulted in him being hurled round and round by the wire rope until a dock employee, seeing his terrible position, jumped aboard and stopped the winch. Had it not been for this it is impossible to conceive what would have happened, for as it was, he had one finger taken clean off, whilst another finger and thumb were severed. The sufferer was immediately taken to the surgery of Dr. Matchett, where his injuries were attended to.



The Times, Monday, Aug 10, 1903; pg. 5; Issue 37155; col B


Late on Saturday evening two men were drowned in Dale Roads, off Milford Haven.  The captains and some of the men of the steam trawlers the Marec, of Milford, and the Amroth Castle, of London, were rowing back to their boats, and when 300 yards from the shore one of the skippers said there were too many men forward and ordered some aft.  While this was being done the boat capsized.  Two of the occupants managed to right her and get in, and the chief engineer of the Amroth Castle, Hugh Jones, got ashore by the aid of an oar, but Skipper Thomas Trott, age 37, married, with seven children, of Milford, was swept away and drowned, as was the third hand of the Amroth Castle, a young man whose name is believed to be Smith.  The bodies have not yet been recovered.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 12th August 1903:


    The news of a sad calamity occurred late on Saturday evening in Dale Roads, resulting in the skipper of the Milford steam trawler "Marec", and the Third Hand of the steam trawler "Amroth Castle" being drowned, while the Skipper, Chief Engineer and Boatswain of the "Amroth Castle" narrowly escaped a like fate.

    The "Marec" is one of the boats of Messrs Sellick, Morley and Price, and her Skipper, Thomas Trott, has been a resident of Milford for many years.  He was 37 years of age, and has left a wife and seven children to mourn his loss.  The "Amroth Castle" is one of the Castle line of Steam trawlers, and her skipper is Henry Milford, of Warwick Road, Milford Haven.  The Third Hand who was drowned was a man of mystery, as no one seems to know of him.  He only came to Milford on the 30th of last month, and was known as Smith.  The other two men who barely saved their lives were Hugh H. Jones, Chief Engineer, and the Boatswain, only known as Alf.

    The "Amroth Castle" and "Marec" left Milford Docks for sea on Saturday morning.  Finding the sea too rough for fishing, they put back and sheltered in Dale Roads. The boats were anchored about 1,000 yards from shore, and the two skippers and men went ashore.  About half past ten they were returning to their ships, when about 300 yards from shore the boat capsized, and all were thrown into the water.  Skipper Milford, interviewed by a Telegraph reporter, said that when they put off he noticed there were too many men forward, and he called some of them aft.  They were obeying his order when the boat capsized.  He rose, and grasping the boat tried to right her.  Four times over he tried to enter her.  At last he got her right and scrambled in.  He could see nothing of the others by this time, and believed he was alone in the boat.  He heard someone cry out, "For God's sake, someone save us", but whether it was the Third Hand or the Bosun, he couldn't say.  He called out to keep cool, and if they had to die, to do so like men.  He remained clinging to the water-logged boat for what seemed to him hours, until a boat came off from a fishing smack, and took him and the boat off.  The Chief Engineer, he was told, had swam ashore grasping an oar, but the other two, Skipper Trott and the Third Hand, had not been seen.  He believed the boat was unseaworthy, and that the accident was due to that.

    Edwin Crocker, the skipper of the fishing smack "Unity", BH75, of the port of Brixham, told our reporter that he had just put into Dale Roads, wind bound, and had barely dropped his anchor when he heard cries for assistance.  He had a boat launched and within one minute they were afloat.  He saw a dark object on the water's edge a little ahead, and between them and the shore.  He pulled for it, and came up with boat half full of water, with two men in her, one, Skipper Milford, in a very exhausted condition, and the other, the Bosun, apparently drowned.  He believed both men would have perished in another ten minutes.  He got them on board and took them to his smack, and then sent a boat ashore for some brandy, which was given them, and they recovered.  Meanwhile a boat was searching about for the others, but they were never seen.  He heard the Chief Engineer had got ashore. 

    W. J. Beckett, the mate of the steam trawler "Marec", was also seen, but he could add nothing to the story.  On Sunday night the bodies had not been recovered.  The Chief Engineer, Jones, was then aboard, very ill.

    The facts have been reported to the Board of Trade.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 28th October 1904:


ENGINEER INJURED. An engineer on board the steam trawler Marec known as Thomas Wheeler, had his arms badly burnt, on the 16th inst., when fishing off the coast of Spain, in consequence of the fire blowing out of the furnace.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 14th September 1906:


Milford Vessel Flounders.



    On Wednesday morning the steam trawler Fuschia (Captain T. Roach) arrived at Milford Docks with the crew of nine hands belonging to the steam trawler Marec, and reported the latter vessel having foundered at two o'clock that morning, when about eighty miles off St. Anne's Head. The Marec left Milford on Saturday morning, and proceeded to the fishing grounds, 150 miles W.S.W. off St. Anne's, and commenced fishing operations Sunday morning. All went well until Tuesday, when about 2 a.m. the tail end shaft broke, and the water immediately began to enter the vessel. All hands were put to the pumps, and at 8 a.m. the steam trawler Fuschia came in sight, and two of her crew went on board the Marec to assist in the pumping operations, and also put a rope aboard and took the Marec in tow, endeavouring to make for Milford Haven. Shortly afterwards the Blue Jacket, another of the Milford trawlers, came alongside, and two of the crew also went on board the sinking vessel. The climax occurred when the donkey engine broke down, and consequently could not pump water into the boiler to keep steam up. There was no alternative then but to abandon the vessel, and the men then went aboard the Fuschia, having previously drawn the fires to prevent an explosion.

    As mentioned, the Marec sank at 2 a.m., and the Fuschia then proceeded home with the men and two of the Blue Jacket's crew. Only the previous trip the vessel had received a thorough overhauling, and the men speak in the highest praise of the efforts of Captain Harry Rich [ sic ] to prevent the loss. The three vessels mentioned are managed by Messrs. Sellick, Morley and Price, of Milford Docks.



Back to Other Registrations I-P