OCEAN BRINE LH78
John Stevenson Collection
Official No: 137181 Port Number and Year: Aberdeen, 1915 (A338)
Leith, 1935 (LH78)
Description: Steel side trawler, steam, coal fired, single screw. Ketch rigged.
Crew: 11 men (1919).
Built: 1915, by Hawthorn & Co., Leith. (Yard no. 144)
Tonnage: 227 grt 98 net.
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 117.2 / 22.1 / 12.5
Engine: T.3-Cyl., 82 rhp.; by builders
As LINN O'DEE A338
17 Nov 1915: The Standard Fishing Co. of Aberdeen Ltd., 16 Bridge St., Aberdeen.
14 Bonaccord Sq., Aberdeen. (1920-25)
Manager: James G. Adam, Stell Rd., Aberdeen.
1925: Robert Flockhart, Fish Market, Newhaven, Edinburgh. (John Flockhart; 1929-39)
Manager: Alexander Flockhart, 1 Jessfield Tce., Leith.
10 Fish Market, Newhaven, Edinburgh. (1929-39)
15 Feb 1935: As OCEAN BRINE LH78
Nov 1939: Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co., Ltd., 238 Dock St., Fleetwood.
Manager: Basil A. Parkes, 'Parkroyd', Links Gate, Thornton-le-Fylde.
Dec 1940: Carnie & Gibb, Newhaven, Edinburgh
Manager: Wm. Carnie (Jnr.), Glasgow.
1945: Lewis Wilcox & Co. Ltd., Docks, Milford
Aug 1952: Colin H. Brand, Cleveleys, Blackpool.
Landed at Milford: 31 Aug 1945 - 1 Oct 1946; 22 Aug 1949 - 26 May 1952; 20 Feb - 11 Jul 1955
Skippers: Frank Gambold (1952)
Linn O'Dee (Linn of Dee), a natural rocky gorge of the River Dee, which is the highest source of any major river in the British Isles.
Nov 1915: Requisitioned by the Admiralty as LINN O'DEE and converted to a minesweeper (Admy. No. 513) 1 x 6pdr.
1919: Returned to owners.
25 Nov 1939: Requisitioned by the Admiralty as OCEAN BRINE for war service as a boom defence vessel, later converted to a auxiliary patrol vessel, P.No. 4.364. Armed with 12pdr AA gun forward, a 303in AA Hotchkiss MG in each wing of the lower bridge, and a 20mm AA gun aft; and searchlight on upper bridge over the wheelhouse.
IWM photograph, from Lenton (1998): "British & Empire Warships of the Second World War".
29 Nov 1944: Returned to owners.
10 Aug 1945: Narrowly escaped damage when stuck by mine which exploded while fishing in the Minch.
1955: Broken up at Ward's Yard, Castle Pill.
[Information supplied by Fleetwood Maritime Trust and the Bosun's Watch website.]
Accidents and Incidents
As HMT OCEAN BRINE
IWM via Lenton: "British & Empire Warships of the Second World War".
From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 19th August 1949:
Two fishing vessels arrived in Dock this week from the East Coast. The trawler Ocean Brine (Messrs. Wilcox) is no stranger to Milford, having sailed from the port for a number of years before. The other vessel is the drifter Lord Collingwood, which has been purchased by Mr. H. Westenborg, and is now on seasonal fishing from Milford.
From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 18th January 1952:
"DUKE" AT THE TOP AGAIN
After two years as "runners-up", Skipper Albert Saunders and the "Milford Duke" are once again in top place in the Milford fishing "league". In 1951 Skipper Saunders caught a greater value of fish than any other individual trawler captain in the port.
Second in the league on last year's results is Skipper W. Burgoyne, who has moved up a place, closely followed by Skipper Steve Pembroke, who was sixth in the list of 1949 catches. "Crack" Skipper for 1948 and 1949, Skipper Tom Donovan, D.S.C., is a close fifth in results while consistent Skipper James Jobson again occupies fourth position.
Here are the leading positions, the ships being classed according to size.
This class has provided a real family struggle, with Skipper Tom Salter pipping his brother-in-law on the post and his brother finishing in third place!
The first three boats are owned by the Westward Company (Mr. E. E. Carter).
1. Cleopatra II. (Tom Salter), Westward.
2. Caldy (Hubert Morgans), Westward.
3. Slebech (Harry Salter), Westward.
4. Avonstar (Jack Ryan); 5, Ocean Brine (Frank Gambold); 6, Milford Knight (Harry Thompson); 7, Hero (Lenny Brown); 8, Montano (George Kersey); 9, Milford Countess (Teddy Funge).
Back to Other Registrations I-P