Official No: 109522     Port and Year:   24th in Grimsby, 1898. (GY593)

Description: Steel side trawler; steam screw, coal burning.

Crew:  9 men (1899).

Built: 1898, by Mackie & Thomson, Govan  (Yard no. 190 )

Tonnage: 150 grt 39 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet):  100.6  / 20.5 / 10.7

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 41 hp.



24 Apr 1899: Orient Steam Fishing Co., Grimsby.

Manager: Frank Barrett.


Landed at Milford:  20 Aug 1900 - 14 Aug 1904

Skippers: 1900: Limbrick; Ebbesen; Walker. 1901-04: Walter Dayes.


18 Jun 1906: Lost on the Dogger Bank. [Circumstances unknown: www.wrecksite.eu ]

26 Jun 1906: Grimsby Register closed.

Accidents and Incidents


From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 20th June 1902:


Alleged Determined Suicide



On Wednesday evening the steam trawler "Orion," that had only left the Docks that afternoon for the fishing grounds, returned to harbour in order to report that one of the hands, a man named Fred Seaborne, who lodged at Gellyswick Cottages, Milford Haven, but whose home was at Orange Gardens, Pembroke, had lost his life at sea. The vessel left Milford Docks at about 5 o'clock and stayed outside the dock gates in order that Seaborne might come aboard. When he did so, the vessel steamed away, and about an hour later, when near the Stack Rocks, some of the crew drew the attention of the captain (Mr Walter Day) to the fact that a man was overboard. He at once gave orders for the engines to be put "full speed astern," and Seaborne was seen in the water. A lifebuoy was thrown to him, but he either did not see it or refused to accept it, for, according to the statements of those on board, although it was close to him, he made no attempt to take advantage of it, and sank before their eyes. The vessel at once ran back for Milford Haven and the matter was reported, after which the "Orion" proceeded to sea. The body has not, of course, yet been recovered, nor is it likely to found for some days to come at least. Seaborne's landlady says that he was a young man of very high spirits, 24 or 25 years of age, and that on Wednesday, before going to sea, he appeared to be as jolly as ever. He was a quiet, unassuming young fellow, according to his record in town amongst those who knew him, and his sad death is generally regretted. Unfortunately, there appears to have been a ground for some dispondency [sic] on his part, and this was observed before he went aboard the vessel, although, on Tuesday night, he was particularly lively.


From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 11th July 1902:

The Suicide of a Ship's Trimmer.


        An inquest was opened at the Hearts of Oak Inn, Hakin, by Mr H. J. E. Price, the coroner, on Monday on the body of Frederick Seaborne, a ship's trimmer of Gellyswick, who committed suicide from the vessel the Orient when going to sea about a fortnight ago. The body was found on Saturday.

        John Morris, of 2, Gellyswick, Hubberston, said he had known the deceased, and had worked with him for three months. He identified the body, and said he saw deceased on June 11th, when he appeared to be quite lively.

        John Evans, fisherman, of Waterloo Road, Hakin, said he found the body of the deceased floating in the water near Conduit, and handed it over to the police at Hakin Point.

        The inquest was then adjourned for the presence of witnesses who were at sea, and was resumed on Wednesday, when the following additional evidence was given.

        Walter Dayes, skipper of the trawler Orient, deposed that the deceased was a trimmer on that vessel, and shipped on June 6th. They were in Dock on June 17th, and went out again on the 18th, when deceased was aboard and seemed to be all right. Afterwards he saw Seaborne talking to the chief engineer, and heard him say he was not going to sea. Witness said to him "You must," and he said, "No, never." He again saw the deceased, who had taken his jacket off, and afterwards saw him in the water astern of the vessel. He called out to the deceased, "There is the buoy," but although it was quite daylight Seaborne did not attempt to reach it. They were in mid-channel when Seaborne jumped overboard, and witness did not think his intention was to swim ashore.        

        Alfred Taylor, the mate of the Orient, said that when they were steaming down the harbour on the day in question he saw the deceased take off his coat, and roll up his sleeves. He said "I am going over the side," and laughed. Witness replied, "You will be drowned. Don't be soft," and went about his work, thinking the deceased was in fun. Seaborne then said, "Well here goes, Alf." and went over into the water on the starboard side. He corroborated the evidence of the last witness as to the steps taken to attempt to rescue the man, and as to Seaborne not making any attempt to take the buoy. When he jumped overboard, he jumped clear of the ship.

        William Nicholls, cook on the Orient, said that deceased had told him he was in trouble and had got a summons. The jury returned a verdict of suicide whilst temporarily insane. They also unanimously requested the Coroner to once more draw the attention of the local and other authorities to the immediate necessity for at once providing a mortuary, and also to the fact that the body of the deceased, was, for some time, awaiting a place for its reception.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 11th December 1903:




THE FISHING TRADE. The Milford fishing fleet is growing. A fine new steam trawler, 100ft. long, the Reliance, has been purchased at Grimsby by Messrs. Caley and Page, and is on her way to Milford. On Tuesday two fine new steam trawlers, purchased by Messrs Sellick, Morley, and Price, started on their trial trip to the Bay of Biscay, and will be added to the Milford fishing fleet. The Victoria, belonging to Mr Thomas (Messrs Neale and West), realised 330 for hake in one voyage, and the Petunia (Messrs Sellick, Morley, and Price) realised 230 for one voyage. Both vessels had been fishing in the Bay of Biscay. The s.s. Orion, which had only been out two days, put back yesterday with the skipper ill.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 20th January 1904:


    The "Pembroke Castle" came into dock on Monday morning   ........

The same morning, the "Orion" reported that during the rough weather, one of the hands named Ted Leader was washed overboard, but was fortunately rescued by the skipper, Walter Day.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 6th May 1904:



OCCASIONAL POLICE COURT. James Mann, seaman, hailing from Birkenhead, employed on the trawler Orion, was brought up at the police court on Saturday, before Col. Roberts and Mr J. Whicher, on a charge of being drunk and disorderly at Hakin early that morning.  He was arrested by P. S. Brinn, and was now fined 5s and costs. He was further charged with maliciously doing damage to a window to the extent of 5s. He was ordered to pay damage and 3s costs. 


Back to Other Registrations I-P