Courtesy of Robert Kettle
Official No: 137761 Port Number and Year: 2nd in Milford, 1915
Description: Smack. Wooden side / beam trawler. Ketch rigged: foresail mainsail and mizzen.
Crew: 4 men
Registered: 24 Mar 1915
Built: 1915, by J. W. & A. Upham, Brixham
Tonnage: 59.48 grt 46.37 net.
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 69.7 / 19.5 / 8.9
24 Mar 1915: Eliza Caroline Harries )
Ellen Florence Harries ) Tregwent, Letterston
Suzanne Agnes Harries )
Benjamin Davies Johns, Tre Mys-y-Coed, St. Nicholas, Fishguard
Manager: John Bishop, 'Bryncraig', Goodwick
Landed at Milford: 4 May 1915 - 10 Mar 1917
Skippers: Ralph Furzeman Stamp 10570
Notes: 16 Mar 1917: Sunk by bomb after capture by UC-48 (Oberleutnant zur See Kurt Ramien), 8 miles SE of Mine Head. No lives lost. [See below.]
Cert. Cancelled & Registry Closed: 4 May 1917
Accidents and Incidents
From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 16th April 1915:
The Milford fishing smack 'Pencaer' has arrived at Brixham with two boats belonging to the steamer 'President' of Glasgow, which was attacked by the German submarine U-4 in the vicinity of the Eddystone Lighthouse on Saturday evening. The crew of ten had time to launch their two small boats and save some of their personal effects.
The 'President' was chased for about an hour, when the superior speed of the submarine caused the race to be abandoned. The Germans boarded her and placed a bomb which exploded, but the crew of the 'President' did not know if their vessel sank or not. She was still floating when the German submarine towed their two boats clear.
From B.T. & R. Larn (2002): Shipwreck Index of Ireland:
Co. Waterford, Mine Head L/h, 8M SE 51.56N 07.23W
This fishing smack was captured by a German submarine, her crew forced to abandon ship, after which it was sunk by explosive scuttling charge.
Back to Fishing Smacks