Official No:  98190     Port and Year: London, 1890 (LO64)

                                                                Bombay, 1895.

Description: Steel.


Built: 1890, by Hawthorns, Leith. (Yard no. 35)

Tonnage:  146 grt  46 net (1914:  162 grt 60 net)

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 100.2 / 21.1 / 10.4

Engine: C.2-Cyl. 48 nhp., by Hawthorns & Co., Leith



As LO64.

27 Nov 1890: The Milford Trawlers Ltd., 112 Fenchurch St., City, London.

Manager: Henry Wyatt, 23 Albert Mansions, South Kensington, London.


1893: Joseph Augustus Shepherd & Co., Bombay.

Managing owner.

1895: Registered in Bombay.


By 1903: Hajee Ismail Hassum, Bombay.


By 1906: The Bombay Steam Navigation Co. Ltd., Frere Rd., Bombay


By 1925: S. R. de Viterbo Conciecao Lourenco, Nova Goa.


Landed at Milford:  8 Dec 1890 - 27 Sep 1894

Skippers: 1890: Wales

1891: Wales; Reader; Bart Foster

1892: Foster; Dayes; Wales

1893: Foster; Walker

1894: Foster; Walker; Smith


MNL 1891 named "The Milford Trawlers Ltd.", but local newspapers named the firm "The London Trawlers Ltd."

1946: Same name and owners. (Lloyd's Register. )

Accidents and Incidents

From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 6th April 1892:


The Record Again Broken

    Our readers will remember that in a recent issue we adverted to a record catch of fish landed at Milford Docks, by the trawler "Admiral" (Captain Dove).  We are now pleased to announce another phenomenal catch landed at the same place, which, in value and dimensions, overshadows all previous figures at Milford Haven or the district.

    On Thursday last, the trawler "Premier" (Captain Bart Foster) of the London Trawlers Ltd., and under the management of Captain Wales, landed 43 trunks of soles together with a large quantity of other fish.  The whole catch was in the primest of condition, and reflected the greatest credit on the genial and experienced skipper, who received the congratulations of his many friends in his characteristic manner.



From  The Yorkshire Herald and The York Herald, of  Tuesday 24th January 1893; pg. 3; Issue 12992  (paragraphing added):


MISCONDUCT OF A HULL SKIPPER. ― CERTIFICATE SUSPENDED.――  Yesterday afternoon a Marine Board enquiry was held at Hull into a charge preferred by the Board of Trade against William Henry Ferrand, skipper of the steam trawler Industry [sic, for INDUSTRIA], for having left his vessel and gone ashore at Clare Island, Clew Bay, County Mayo, for the purpose of drinking, and that during his absence the vessel stranded.

    Mr. H. Saxelbye, instructed by the Board of Trade, appeared for the prosecution and in opening the case said that in April last, the trawler Industry, along with several other smacks [sic], was fishing out of Milford Haven.  On the afternoon of 6th April they were fishing in Clew Bay, north-west coast of Ireland, when defendant and five other skippers went on board the steam trawler Premier.  Here it was arranged that all should go on shore.  The defendant and two other skippers stayed ashore all night, and the other two returned to their vessels the same night.  It was alleged that these two men took the boat to their vessels when they went on board, and the other three, although they wanted, could not get to their vessels.

    The following morning the three men went down to the beach, and about 6 a.m. the master of the Industry was told his vessel was ashore.  It appeared that the second hand whilst going to fetch the skipper had got too near the rocks and ran ashore.  Subsequently the vessel was towed off by another trawler, the Admiral, also of Milford.  By some means the nets became entangled round the propeller and it was necessary to get back again on shore. 

    This was done, and the next morning the smack was tried and got ready for sea.  The defendant and the skipper of the Admiral then went to a public house and stayed there.  The defendant had since admitted that they stayed until he was the worse for drink, and when he went back he did not know his way out of the harbour, and his vessel the Industry was taken in tow by the Admiral.  For these services rendered by the Admiral the owners claimed 300 salvage and the case was brought before the judge of the County Court and Nautical Assessor on December 23rd, at Hull, when a verdict was given for 400.

    After evidence had been called, defendant said that he was on shore purposely to buy some food, for which purpose he had borrowed 2 from one of the skippers.  When his vessel went ashore it was not fast on the rocks, and it only took the Admiral about ten minutes to tow her off and he expected that the Admiral was giving him a friendly pull.  He would have done the same for the Admiral if necessary.  He absolutely denied the allegation that he was drunk at any time during their stay on shore.  He had held a master's certificate for competency for 21 years and this was the first time he had transgressed.―

    The court found that although Ferrand had evidently not been under the influence of drink, yet he had been guilty of gross misconduct for leaving his vessel without the consent of the owners and without leaving a competent man in charge, and thought they were adopting a lenient course by suspending his certificate for six calendar months.



From the Western Mail of Friday 10th August 1894:


    Milford Haven has sent the first cargo of fish direct to Manchester via the Ship Canal.  There was great excitement at Manchester on Wednesday night when the steam trawler Premier, laden with fifteen tons of fish, comprising silver hake, conger, cod, soles and turbot arrived.




Back to Other Registrations I - P