John Stevenson Collection

Official No:  108455    Port and Year:   Grimsby, 1897 (GY255)

                                                                   Lowestoft, 1925 (LT135)

Description: Steel side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Yawl rigged. Wheelhouse aft.

Crew: 9 men (1897 - 1935).

Built: 1897; by Mackie & Thomson, Govan.  (Yard no. 138)

Tonnage: 162 grt 55 net (1897);  162 grt  63 net (1 Jan 1914).

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 104.2  / 20.5  / 10.7

Engine: T.3-cyl; 45 rhp;  by Muir & Houston, Glasgow



As GY255

23 Mar 1897: Hagerup, Doughty &Co. Ltd., Grimsby.

Manager: Fred E. Hagerup. (Same address.)

Apr 1906: Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co. (Grimsby), Ltd., 1 Quality Court, London.

                                                                                                (1920) Auckland Rd., Fish Dock, Grimsby.

Manager: John D. Marsden, Fish Dock, Grimsby.

As LT135

8 Jan 1925: Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co. (Grimsby), Ltd., Auckland Rd., Fish Dock, Grimsby.

Manager: John D. Marsden, Fish Dock, Grimsby.


1927: John McLeod, 17 Galloway Rd., Waterloo, Liverpool.

Managing owner.


1935: Waterloo Steam Trawling Co. Ltd., Docks, Milford

Manager: John McLeod (Jnr), Victoria Rd., Milford.


Landed at Milford:  As GY255: 30 Oct 1914 - 22 Feb 1915

As LT135: 1 Nov 1927 - 5 May 1935



1917: Requisitioned by the Admiralty into the Fishery Reserve.

1919: Returned to owners.

26 Feb 1923: Rescued six members of the crew of the Bristol trawler ECHO, which had foundered after a collision off the Borkum Lightship.  The six men had spent fourteen hours in an open boat, and were suffering from exposure.  The survivors were landed at Lowestoft, and twelve other crew members had been picked up by a French steamer. [The Times, Thursday 1st March 1953.]

17 May - Sep 1935: Laid up at Milford

1935: Broken up.

Accidents and Incidents

 From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 23rd September 1932:


    On Saturday morning, September 17th, when the steam trawler 'Richmond' was preparing to go to sea, the forward door of the condenser burst, releasing a quantity of hot water.  The chief engineer, Mr. A. J. Utting, who was in the vicinity, was scalded on the legs. He proceeded to Dr. Darling's surgery, where his legs were dressed.  Fortunately, the injuries are not of a severe nature, but they are certainly very painful, and unfortunately ill-timed for the sufferer, for Mr. Utting has been laid up for a long time, the result of a previous accident.



Back to Other Registrations Q-Z