On the right, in Milford dry dock

John Stevenson Collection

Official No:    127419     Port Number and Year: 8th in Milford,1908

                                                                                      -  in Scarborough, 1920 (SH306)

                                                                                      -  in Boulogne, 1922 (B. ?)

                                                                                      -  in Arcachon, 1930 (ARC. ?)

Description:  Steel side / beam trawler; steam screw; coal burner. Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail, mizzen. 

Crew: 9 men (1908).

Registered at Milford: 19 Oct 1908.

Built: Dundee Shipbuilding Co., Dundee; 1908 (Yard no. 203)

Tonnage: 251.53 gross 95.95 net 

Length / breadth / depth (feet):  125.2 / 22.15 / 12.0

Engine: T.3-cyl. 73 nhp. 10 kts.  Engine by W.V.V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge, Glasgow; boiler by David Rowan & Co., Glasgow.



19 Oct 1908: Gwyneth Steam Trawling Co., Docks, Milford / 2 Stuart St., Cardiff

Manager: Stanley Percy Christie, 'The Bungalow', Neyland.


By 1918:  James Johnson, Oak Lea, 66 Columbus Ravine, Scarborough.

                                                        (1920: 'Penguin Lodge', Scarborough.)

Managing owner.

29 Apr 1920: SH306



1922: Soc. des Pecheries Maritimes, Boulogne, France

Manager: Bourgain-Dubuisset



By 1930: Cameleyre Fréres, Arcachon

1931: Soc. Anon. des Pechêries Cameleyre Fréres, Arcachon.


Landed at Milford: 25 Oct 1908 - 4 May 1915


William Henry Fransham cert. 4913, age 36, born Halversgate, residing 4 Gwili Rd., Hakin;  signed on 6 Oct 1908

R. J. B. Sheldon 6238, 30, Plymouth; 30 Inkerman St., St. Thomas, Swansea; 30 Nov 1908; 8 Feb 1910

H. Julier 5841, 40, Yarmouth; 23 Mar, 1 Jul 1910; 9 Jan, 18 Oct 1911

A. King 7776, 30, Gorleston; 18 Dec 1910; 11 Jul 1911

William Bevan 6927, 37, Milford; 8 Jan 1913

George Hall 5365, 36, Hull; 27 May, 4 Jul 1913

G. Payne 5944, 30, Gorleston; 5 Nov 1913

C. Bradnum 5693, 44, Upton; 21 Nov 1913


Salome was the daughter of Herodias, and nemesis of John the Baptist.

May 1915: Requisitioned by the Admiralty (Admy. no. 2670). 1 x 12 pdr.

1919: Returned to owners.

Nov 1942: Captured by Kreigsmarine; converted to Minensuchflottille Anzahl  M 4431.  (Minesweeping flotilla number).

1946: Lloyd's List stated as same name and owners.

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 9 Apr 1920.  Vessel transferred to the port of Scarborough.

 Accidents and Incidents:


From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 15th January 1909: 




         The steam trawler "Salome" (Captain Sheldon), which belongs to the Gwyneth Steam Trawling Co, made an exceedingly fine haul the other day. After having been absent from port for a fortnight the "Salome" returned with a "catch," which realised £414. This is evidence that the fish trade is improving. 



From the Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 3rd March 1909:


    On Wednesday last, the steam trawler "Salome" landed an excellent catch on the Fish Market, and as it included about 200 kits of hake the sum of £369 was realised.  The "Salome" was away 14 days, the outward and homeward journey occupying 11 of those days, so it will be seen there were only two days left for fishing.  Favoured with a fair wind out and home, she was enabled to make what was almost certainly a record trip to the Mediterranean Moroccan fishing grounds. 

    The vessel is one of the new ones, and belongs to the Gwyneth Steam Trawling Company, a firm of Cardiff owners, Mr. Christie being the manager.



From The Weekly Mail of Saturday 1st January 1910:



    News was received at Swansea on Monday that the Swansea trawler Picton Castle, belonging to the Castle Trawlers (Limited), Swansea, has been capsized and sunk at the mouth of the Douro, and also that the trawlers Salome and Gwyneth, belonging to Mr. Christie, of Swansea and Milford, have broken from their moorings at the same place and are regarded as lost. In the storm the Picton Castle appears to have been run into and damaged by larger vessels.

    The information at the offices of the trawlers at Swansea is, fortunately, to the effect that all the members of the trawlers' crews have been saved, and this notification was posted at the fish wharf, Swansea. Each trawler carried a crew of eleven hands, the Picton Castle being in charge of Captain Kingston, the Salome under Captain Sheldon, and the Gwyneth under Captain D. Harrison, the masters all living at Swansea.

    The trawlers left Swansea about the end of November, and were fishing at the mouth of the Douro when the river rose 30ft. to 40ft., and the fresh water came down at an enormous rate, causing them all to break from their moorings. The Picton Castle is one of the best boats in the Swansea trawling fleet, having cost about £7,500 eighteen months ago. The value of the three vessels is probably £20.000. The Salome and the Gwyneth have only been stationed at Swansea for about a month, having been sent thither by Mr. Christie, who has opened an office near the Swansea Fish Wharf.


From The Cambrian of Friday 7th January 1910:


    The Swansea-Milford trawler Salome, which underwent so adventurous an experience at Oporto during the recent great storm here, arrived on her own steam at the South Dock Basin, Swansea, on Thursday afternoon, on her being Captain Kingston, of the wrecked Swansea trawler Picton Castle.

    The Salome bears unmistakable traces of her battering against the rocks, many of her plates being dented, and she has been dry-docked. The sister boat, the Gwyneth, is being dry-docked in Lisbon.



From the Pembroke County Guardian of Friday 25th November 1910:


The Fish Trade.— Fish continues to be scarce, and business at the market has been rather slack during the week, owing to the bad weather. Most of the boats arrived with small cargoes, but the Salome on Monday landed a cargo which grossed £428. On Wednesday the supply was better, and the demand was brisk. Ten steamers, one liner, and seven smacks arrived, and landed 360 kits of hake and 770 kits of mixed fish. —On Thursday eight steamers, one liner, and ten smacks arrived, and 110 tons were despatched, the prices remaining about the same as the previous day.


From the Pembroke County Guardian of Friday 30th December 1910:


    William Griffiths, fisherman, of the steam trawler Salome, was summoned for using bad language in Charles Street on December 15th.  P.C. James, who proved the case, said that when he spoke to defendant the latter used bad language towards him. He had received complaints about defendant previously.



Log book entries:



On Saturday night the 11th January, 1913 we fell in with the "Snowdon Range" and "Welshman" and rendered assistance to her, arriving at Queenstown on Wednesday the 15th.

    William Bevan. (Skipper).

[See newspaper report below.]



Arthur Pimm, First Engineer, age 44, from Cardiff.

I hereby certify that on the 14th October 1913  I have sanctioned the discharge into hospital of Arthur Pimm, on the grounds of sickness.  The balance of wages due, if any, to be settled at Milford when Arthur Pimm returns to the United Kingdom. His effects were delivered to him.


    H.C. Jones.

    Vice Consul.

    Lisbon- 15.10.13.


10 11.13.

Found leaking under fish room.  Cause- unknown.

    George C. Payne. (Skipper).



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 15th January 1913:


    About 12.30 mid-day on Thursday a singular accident befell Richard Holborough, second engineer on the Salome.  He was carrying a hundredweight keg of carbide from the stores back to the trawler.  He had to pass some coal trucks, and the keg struck the side of a truck.  The man fell on his back on the dock wall, narrowly missing falling into the dock.  The keg fell on the engineer's left hand, completely smashing three of his fingers.  Doctor Griffith dressed his hand but the fingers were subsequently amputated.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 22nd January 1913:


    The story of the terrible experiences of the Furness Liner Snowdon Range fifty days overdue owing to the hurricane encountered in the passage across the Atlantic has already been told and our readers are fully acquainted therewith.   She was safely berthed at Queenstown, Ireland, on Wednesday morning after being towed some four hundred miles by the steamship Welshman.

    The steam trawler Salome of Milford Haven also took a prominent part in salving the Snowdon Range, and various photographs of the vessel published show the trawler still fast on the stern. The Salome arrived back at the port on Friday and our agent waited on Skipper Bevans with a view to eliciting some information as to the part his trawler took in the affair.

    The Skipper told a simple story from which it appears that he first sighted the Snowdon Range twenty miles off the Blaskets at midnight on Saturday.  She was in tow of the Welshman in a heavy sea.  They kept her in sight through the night and hung about ready to offer any assistance.  The Welshman broke adrift, but on Sunday afternoon at two o'clock got fast of the storm-tossed liner again, and a couple of hours later the Salome also took a hawser from the stern of the Snowdon Range by which means they righted her and helped to steer the vessel.

    It was a terrible night and they twice parted but in the morning got fast again and guided the ship towards the shore.  Towing was done with great difficulty, hugh seas washing them, but they got along all right until some distance off Daunts Rock Light House, when they met a gale of wind, rain and sleet. The liner anchored, but dragged into Graball's Bay and had some narrow escapes near the rocks.

    Eventually on Tuesday they got together again and piloted the ship round Roche's Point into the port of Queenstown harbour. She was perilously near the shore, and fearing to drag the trawler onto the rocks, they cast her off. The Snowdon Range dragged over the rocks in a remarkable manner, and, said Skipper Bevan, it really seemed that she was going to be wrecked.

    Next morning they resumed their position at the stern of the liner and they berthed her safely at Queenstown, amidst cheers from her crew and from the shore, and which the crew of the little Milford trawler shared, for as Mr. G. S. Adamson, the Chief Engineer of the Snowdon Range, said "Too much praise cannot be given to the master of the Welshman or the Skipper of the trawler Salome for the way in which they had stuck to them."



Back to Trawlers 1880-1914