SCARBORO CASTLE M180
Official No: - Port Number and Year: Brixham, 1912 (BM106)
Milford, 1921 (M180)
Description: Wooden sailing smack; main, mizzen and foresail; trawling. Ketch rigged.
Registered: 15 Feb 1921
Built: Newlyn, 1912
Tonnage: 32 grt 32 net
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 49.8 / 14.6 / 7.1
Engine: Auxiliary motor - no details.
10 Apr 1920: W. R. Edhouse, Berry Head Rd., Brixham.
15 Feb 1921: James McLean, 5 St. David's Rd., Milford
Skipper and Owner.
Landed at Milford: 21 Mar 1921 - 4 Jul 1922. [No Milford landings recorded in 1923; presumably fished out of Swansea. See below.]
Notes: 30 Sep 1923: Vessel destroyed by fire in St. Bride's Bay. [See below.]
Cert. Cancelled & Registry Closed: 1923
Accidents and Incidents
Note of Protest.
We sailed from the port of Swansea to the fishing grounds off St. Bride's Bay on the 29th September 1923.
The vessel caught fire following an explosion in the engine room. Vessel was abandoned, later foundered. No loss of life.
James McLean (Skipper)
Back to Smacks