Official No:  121614    Port Number and Year:  2nd in Milford, 1907

                                                                                     -  in Grimsby, 1915 (GY801)

Description: Steel side / beam trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail, mizzen.

Crew:  9 men (1907, 1915).

Registered at Milford : 16 Feb 1907

Built: 1907 by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co., Goole.  (Yard no. 94)

Tonnage: 207.04 grt  59.38 net  > 81.26 (Tonnage amended 1 Jan 1914)

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 116.8 / 21.65 / 12.17

Engine: T 3-cyl. 60 rhp.;  engine by W.V.V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge, Glasgow; boiler by Richardson Shipbuilding, Westgarth & Co., Middlesborough



16 Feb 1907:  Pembrokeshire Steam Trawling Co., Docks, Milford.

Manager: James Harries, 'Honeyborough House', Neyland.


12 Oct 1914: George Knight Grimmer, 66 Rosemount Viaduct, Aberdeen.

Managing owner. [See the local newspaper report below.]


As GY801

24 Nov 1915:  Sleights Steam Fishing Co., Grimsby.


Dec 1916: George F. Sleight, 'Weelsby Hall', nr. Great Grimsby.

Managing owner.  [*See note below.]


Nov 1933: G.F. Sleight & A.L. Humphreys, Fish Dock, Grimsby.


May 1949: G. F. Sleight & Sons, Grimsby

Apr 1952: As REVIGO.


Landed at Milford:  11 Mar 1907 - 22 Sep 1908; 8 Nov 1912; 10 Oct 1914.

[Also landed at Neyland; see 1909 newspaper reports below.]


J. H. Gardner cert. 6417; age 27, born Brixham; residing 149 Robert St., Milford; signed on 13 Feb, 9 Jul 1907

J. G. Riby 4079, 34, Scarborough; 20 Jun 1907

J. S. Barker 8056, 23, Scarborough; 31 Jul 1907; 28 Jan 1908

A. W. Barrett 5370, 32, Hull; 9 Marble Hall Rd., Milford; 20 Dec 1907; 1 Jan 1908

T. E. Hooper 6628, 32, Hull; 3 Gwili Rd., Hakin; 13 May, 9 Jul 1908

F. Hardisty 1891, 40, Barton; 20 Greville Rd., Milford; 1 Jan 1909

Fred Slade 5895, 32, Leicester; St. Ann's Rd., Hakin; 16 Jan, 13 Jul 1909

Charles Thomas 8623, 24, Neyland; 11 Nov 1909

John Welham 6150, 38, Yarmouth; 11 Charles St., Neyland; 14 Jan, 6 Jul 1910; 10 Jan, 8 Jul, 12 Oct 1911; 9 Jan, 9 Feb 1912

G. Foster 5561, 42, Scarborough; 6 Dec 1911

Harold Ernest Moran 7743, 30, Hull; St.Clements Rd., Neyland; 2 Nov 1912; 13 Jan 1913

William Henry Blockwell 8327, 26, Gorleston; 14 Greville Rd., Milford; 6 Feb, 22 Jul 1913.

George K. Grimmer 5575, Grimsby; 13 Oct 1914, 11 Feb 1915

James Richard Grimmer 7863, Grimsby; 5 Dec 1914

Benjamin Grimmer 0816, Grimsby; 10 Apr 1915



Siluria denotes the area of South Wales inhabited by the Celtic tribe of the Silures.

1917 - 1919: Fishery Trawler.

*19 Mar 1921: Sir George Frederick Sleight died. Sold to his executors.

Apr 1944: Requisitioned by the Admiralty; renamed CORYPHENE, and converted to an Esso.

Jan 1945: Returned to owners, and reverted to SILURIA.

Dec 1955: Broken up.

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 24 Nov 1915.  Vessel transferred to the port of Grimsby

 Accidents and Incidents

From the Pembroke County Guardian of Friday 8th March 1907:



The new steam trawler "Siluria" the property of the Pembrokeshire Trawling Company, came to Neyland last Wednesday after making her maiden trip. She came up alongside the pontoon, and a large number of the inhabitants of the town came down to inspect her. The "Siluria" was built by the Goole ship-building company, and she is a very similar boat to the "Neyland". She is 125 feet over all, and her engines develop 70 h.p. Our representative was informed that she made 11 knots per hour on her trip round, though very heavy weather was experienced, she being steaming through the North Sea at the time of the Berlin disaster.  The engines were supplied by W. V. V. Elvidger Wood [Lidgerwood], of the Speedwell Ironworks, Coatbridge. Before coming to port the "Siluria" went fishing off the south of Ireland, and brought in a cargo that realised 160. In the opinion of many well qualified to speak, the "Siluria" is a remarkably well-built boat, and her lines are very good. Her captain is Mr. J. Gardner, of Milford, and her engineer, Mr. J. Elliott, of Neyland.



From the Pembroke County Guardian of Friday 12th March 1909:


Accident on a Trawler.A serious accident has befallen Thomas Stolliday [sic - Holliday - cf. Log Book below], of the steam trawler Siluria. It appears that when the vessel was at sea on Sunday he was lifting some planks, when a trawl-warp suddenly fell on his leg, breaking it below the knee. The Siluria landed at Neyland on Tuesday morning, when the unfortunate man was medically attended. On Tuesday he was progressing as well as could be expected.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 3rd September 1909:



Fishing Industry.- Since Monday, August 23rd, the following boats have come into Neyland and disposed of their catches at the market the Bush 190, Urania 159, Siluria 117, Slebech 149, Caldy 106, Apley 150, Hero 163, Angle 126, and the Neyland 122. The catches have included several kits of herring, and it is expected that the trawlers will at any time run across the shoal. 



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 10th December 1909:



Neyland's Fishing Craft's Terrible Experience at Sea.

    The furious gales which swept across the country last week were felt with full force in every part of Pembrokeshire. Several Milford trawlers had some terrible experiences.

    A marvellous story of a skipper's bravery is reported from Neyland. On Thursday the steam trawler "Siluria", belonging to the Neyland Steam Trawling and Fishing Company, left Neyland in a dead calm. On arriving near the Smalls she encountered a terrible gale.

    In an interview the skipper, Charles Thomas, said that at eight o' clock in the evening, when about eighteen miles west-north of the Smalls lighthouse, the steamer had her rudder carried away by the heavy seas. It was then blowing very heavily, and the gale continued through the night; in the words of the mate, William Blackler, nothing but "white water" was to be seen all round the vessel. The boat lay-to all the night, and in the morning it was determined to try and make for Tenby. Without steering gear, the boat was almost unmanageable, but by means of her engines she came on "ahead and astern", and early in the afternoon was off the land between St. Govan's and the entrance to Milford Haven. Here the greatest difficulties of the voyage were met with, for the trawler was driven in perilously close to the forbidding cliffs near Linney Head, against which a terrible sea was breaking.

    The waves completely swept the trawler's decks, and if everything had not been properly secured the decks would have been cleared. It was here that the trawler, which was then flying a flag of distress, was seen by the Flimton [sic - Flimston] Coastguard, who sent messages which led to both the Tenby and Angle lifeboats being launched, while a Government tug also went out from Pembroke Dock. By dint of great exertions the trawler was worked off the coast between Linney and St. Govan's, and proceeded up Channel. When off the Little Sound the flag of distress was hauled down down, and thus it was not seen from Tenby. Passing outside Caldey Island the trawler reached Tenby Roads in safety, just at the time that the life-boat was proceeding through Giltar Sound in search of her.

    The saving of the "Siluria" under such dangerous circumstances is a fine tribute to the seamanship of the captain, his officers and crew. When off the dangerous cliffs near St. Govan's they hardly expected to escape with their lives, but by pluck and endurance they brought the ship into safety. On arriving at Tenby they were thoroughly worn out after their exertions. In the meantime the life-boat had gone on her way, and no news of her was obtained until she reached the boat slip at one o'clock on Saturday morning, nine hours after the launch had taken place. When the crew came ashore it was learned that the boat had not reached St. Govan's until ten o'clock in the evening. Many lights were then burnt, but no answer was received, and as it was evident that the boat's assistance was not required it was decided to return. A nasty sea was running, and the boat ran out into the Channel, coming up at the back of Caldey Island, and reached home at one o'clock.


[See Log Book entry below.]


From the Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 21st October 1914:



    It is reported that the trawler Siluria, which belonged to the Pembrokeshire Steam Trawling Company, was sold during the past week. This company came into existence about eight years ago when it invested in one trawler. A tremendously high interest was paid during the first year, which approached something like 50 per cent. Everybody concerned were highly pleased and of course saw a "get rich quick" prospect. Immediately more trawlers were invested in. Things did not go very well and they then decided to sell out, and after much difficulty sold two of their three trawlers. Since the sale of these two trawlers business has been much better and the Siluria has done very well.




 Log Book entries:



250 miles W 1 S  from St Ann's Head

F. Holliday, age 33, Bo'sun;  English, born Yarmouth, residing Neyland.

Broken leg  whilst clearing foul trawling gear.

    Frederick Slade. (Skipper).

    Henry Mansell. (Second Hand). 6376.


01. 12 .1909.

William Ware, age 27; British, born Tenby, residing Tenby.

Injured back whilst stowing mizzen.  Sea struck ship causing him to fall off small boat.

    C. Thomas. (Skipper).



Back to Trawlers 1888-1914