As ML83

John Stevenson Collection

Official No:  119901   Port Number and Year: 4th in South Shields, 1904 (SSS1)

                                                                               1st in Methil, 1907 (ML83)

                                                                              3rd in Milford, 1910

Description: Liner (1910), and drifter (15 Jun 1929); steel; steam screw, coal burning;  Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail,  mizzen.

Crew:  8 men (1910); 9 men and 1 boy (15 Jun 1929)

Registered at Milford: 15 Sep 1910

Built: 1904, J.T. Eltringham & Co., South Shields.  (Yard no. 245) 

Tonnage: 79.16 grt  15.33 net. 1 Jan 1914: Amended by BoT to 28.01 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 80.0 / 18.1 / 8.5

Engine: 35 nhp. 9 kts.  Engine by Shields Engineering & Dry Dock Co., North Shields; boiler by J.T. Eltringham Co., South Shields.




26 Mar 1904: Durham W. Fitzgerald, Stone Quay, South Shields.

Managing owner.


As ML83

1907:  J. Cameron & A. Irvin, St. Monance.


By 1909: James Hellings, 25 Hamilton Tce., Milford.

Managing owner.

15 Sep 1910: As M60


10 Jun 1912: William Charles Evans, 4 Bridge St., Hakin (16/64)

Edward James Hellings, 25 Hamilton Tce., Milford. (48/64)

Managing owner. 

(Capt. James Hellings died on 12th August 1914.)


23 Nov 1914: Sarah Jane Hellings, 25 Hamilton Tce., Milford (48/64)

William Charles Evans, 4 Bridge St., Hakin (16/64)


10 Dec 1914: Sarah Jane Hellings, 25 Hamilton Tce., Milford (32/64)

William Charles Evans, 4 Bridge St., Hakin (16/64)

Edward James Hellings, 5 Hamilton Tce., Milford (16/64)


22 Jan 1917: Sarah Jane Hellings, 25 Hamilton Tce., Milford (32/64)

William Charles Evans, 4 Bridge St., Hakin (32/64)

Manager: Edward James Hellings, 5 Hamilton Tce., Milford.


15 Feb 1922: Sarah Jane Hellings, 25 Hamilton Tce., Milford (32/64)

John Brown, 'Bedlyn Villa', Wellington Rd., Hakin (16/64)

Francis Percival Locke, Upper Hill St., Hakin  (16/64)

Manager: Edward James Hellings, 5 Hamilton Tce., Milford.


19 May 1929: Edward James Hellings, Docks, Milford.

Managing owner.


Landed at Milford:  17 Jan 1909 - 14 Oct 1915; 1 Apr 1919 - 15 Jun 1929


William Evans, cert. 8739, age 24, born Hakin; residing 4 Bridge St., Hakin; signed on 15 Sep 1910; 20 Jul 1912; 21 Jan 1913

A.P. Robertson, cert. 14731


Dec 1915: Requisitioned as net layer ( 1 x 3 pdr.

15 Mar 1919: Returned to owners.

11 Jul 1933: Wrecked and total loss at Rosehearty in Moray Firth. [ See "The Times" report below.]

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 12 Oct 1933.

 Accidents and Incidents:

From the Pembroke County Guardian of Friday 25th March 1910:


    James Hellings, fish merchant, Milford Haven, sued R. Hastings, Point Street, Hakin, for 6 12s. 6d., his share in the losses of certain fishing trips of the steam liner "South Tyne," together with costs, and a small item for cash drawn in Dublin.

    Mr. W. J. Jones, solicitor, appeared for the plaintiff, and stated that the hands employed on these vessels shared in the profits if the voyage were successful, and in the loss if it were unsuccessful.

    A clerk in the employment of the plaintiff gave evidence as to the custom of sharing. After the expenses of the ''South Tyne" were taken out, the remainder went into 12 shares 5 shares to the owner, 1 to the skipper, and one share each to the six hands. In one of the voyages for which the defendant was sued the sale of the fish realised 20 3s., and the expenses were 52 4s. 2d. The defendant's share of the loss for that occasion was 1 0s. 11d. On a second voyage the gross proceeds were 6 15s., the expenses 38 2s., and the defendant's share of the loss was 4 2s. 3d.

    His Honour: That seems to be a paying concern, that ship. How do people live under these conditions?

    Mr. Jones: That is their look-out. They know the conditions under which they serve, and sometimes they make a very good haul.

    The defendant said that when he went as skipper it was only to oblige Mr. Hellings. They had very bad weather; were unfortunate, and did nothing. He could not help it.

    The witness said the owner had to stand five shares of the loss.

    Defendant said he had nine children, was out of work, and had nothing to pay.

    His Honour: Your net caught more children than fish.

    A verdict for the amount was granted, but no order was made as to the manner in which it was to be paid.



From The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of Friday 21st October 1910:





    The Brixham smack "Dayspring" landed a catch of fish which realised over 40 at Milford Haven on Monday last. Unfortunately, however, after returning to the fishing grounds she was caught in  the strong south-easterly gale which sprang up and all her fishing gear was carried away. Several other fishing smacks were caught in the storm but no serious damage was sustained. Late on  Saturday evening the long liner "South Tyne", owned by Messrs. J. Hellings and Son, and captained by Mr. W. Evans, returned to port and reported having towed the stranded schooner  "Democrat," of Barnstaple. from Ramsay Sound into Porthgain. Some of the pieces of the wrecked St. David's Lifeboat were also picked up at the same time.



    News has been received at Milford Haven that the steam-liner South Tyne, owned by Mr. J. Hellings, of that port, has succeeded in getting the ketch Democrat, of Barnstaple, off the rocks in Ramsey Sound, and towed her into Porthgain, where she was beached. The Democrat was a new vessel, and was the last turned out of Messrs. T. and W. Francis's Shpibuilding-yard, Castle Pill. Milford Haven.



From an unknown source dated 14th March 1927, in the Les Jones Archive:


    According to the evidence of those connected with the  SOUTH TYNE, that vessel, which had been lying alongside the coaling wharf opposite the main entrance gate  to the docks, moved astern on her engines from that position preparatory to the arrival on board of her Skipper and to her departure for sea. Before moving astern she gave the prescribed whistle signal. At the end of that movement, which occupied about a minute, and in the course of which she covered a distance of about 20 yards at slow speed, the SOUTH TYNE lay stationary with her bow at about right angles to the Bull Nose near the wharf.

    Within two feet of the bow of the SOUTH TYNE was another vessel moored to the wall, and immediately astern of the SOUTH TYNE was a third vessel, a steam trawler.  The WILLIAM BRADY was first sighted by the bosun of the SOUTH TYNE when she,  the WILLIAM BRADY was about 50 yards away. The WILLIAM BRADY was then about 50 yards distant and coming astern from the Eastern end of the dock at full speed and in the direction of the SOUTH TYNE. The engines of the SOUTH TYNE  had at that time been stopped for a matter of some 2 or 3 minutes.  The WILLIAM BRADY continued to come astern without checking her speed and when she had approached to within about 10 yards of the SOUTH TYNE those on board the latter vessel shouted to her to go ahead. The WILLIAM BRADY did not, however, do so, and still coming astern, her stern gave the SOUTH TYNE a direct broadside blow.  The impact caused the stern of the SOUTH TYNE to move round and the over-hanging stern of the WILLIAM BRADY swept along the deck of the SOUTH TYNE, carrying away the latter's mizzen rigging and peak halyards, removing the starboard ventilator and doing other damage.

    One of the employees of H E Rees and Company was on board a vessel lying moored alongside the corner, and had the WILLIAM BRADY under observation for a couple of minutes prior to the collision, and during that time she came astern steadily. He heard the crew of the SOUTH TYNE shouting to the WILLIAM BRADY to go ahead, when the two vessels were about 20 feet apart, and he considers that the WILLIAM BRADY could have pulled up in that space.  According to this witness the WILLIAM BRADY was at fault.  The WILLIAM BRADY  was in the part of the dock not usually engaged in manoeuvring into position for passage into the lockpits. The witnesses for the SOUTH TYNE do not agree as to whether or not the SOUTH TYNE still had a mooring rope ashore at the time of the collision but for reasons  which appear later we do not regard this point as material  



    The WILLIAM BRADY went slow astern from the position where she had been moored at the Eastern end of the market. She was bound for sea.  When she had reached about level with the Western end of the market, the signal on the Bull Nose went up against outgoing vessels, and the engines of the WILLIAM BRADY were accordingly stopped. In a few minutes' time it became necessary for the WILLIAM BRADY to go astern again, in order to clear another trawler which was then leaving the market wall. The prescribed astern signal was given by the WILLIAM BRADY and as she was going slow astern the SOUTH TYNE, without any warning, backed out from a position just inside Sellick's corner, and with a good deal of way on. The engines of the WILLIAM BRADY were immediately rung full speed ahead but a collision between the two vessels was unavoidable.


BOATSWAIN of the WILLIAM BRADY's statement.

    I was on duty alone in the after part of the vessel.  An order to go astern a second time was given when she was about level with the middle of the market. When the   WILLIAM BRADY had gone astern to about level with the Western end she drew up alongside another steam trawler which was lying stationary in the dock, on the starboard side of the WILLIAM BRADY.  I had a fender ready and was keeping this other vessel under observation.  I looked aft and noticed the SOUTH TYNE coming very slow astern from a bunch of vessels.  She was then about 300 feet distant and about three parts of her were visible. I shouted at once up to the Skipper to go astern and the latter reversed engines immediately. This would be about half a minute before the two vessels came into contact.  During that period the SOUTH TYNE stopped her engines, continuing however to move astern.  The WILLIAM BRADY still had stern way on her when the impact took place.  Neither the Skipper nor I heard a signal from the SOUTH TYNE before she came astern.



    We have come to the conclusion that the collision was caused by the neglect of those on board the WILLIAM BRADY  to keep a proper lookout, and we have come to the conclusion also that the collision was not contributed to by any neglect, act or omission on the part of the SOUTH TYNE, and in fact that no steps were open to her to avoid the collision.  We accordingly hold the WILLIAM BRADY alone liable for the collision.



WILLIAM BRADY, Messrs Brand & Curzon Ltd., Skipper H. F. Setterfield; Boatswain James Snelling.

SOUTH TYNE, Messrs J. Hellings & Son; Mate Alfred John Parker; Deck Hand Sidney Staines.



The Times, Saturday, Jul 15, 1933; pg. 17; Issue 46497; col D



SOUTH TYNE - Fraserburgh - July 14th.  Steam drifter SOUTH TYNE, M60, sunk at anchor Rosehearty fairway this morning.



Back to Trawlers 1888-1914