Official No:  137362    Port Number and Year:   North Shields, 1914 (SN121)

                                                                                  Sunderland, 1921 (SD90)

                                                                                  Hull, 1939 (H235)

Description: Steel side trawler, steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged


Built: 1914 by Joseph T. Eltring Co., Willington Quay.  (Yard no. 306)

Tonnage: 194 grt  86 net

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 115.6  / 22.0  / 11.8

Engine: T.3-cyl; 82 rhp;  by Shields Engineering Co., North Shields




22 Oct 1914: The Prince Fishing Co., Ltd., North Shields

Manager: Richard Irvin, The Fish Quay, North Shields.


22 Jul 1915: Richard Irvin & Sons, North Shields.

Manager: Richard Irvin, 'The Elms', North Shields.


8 Sep 1919: The Swansea Steam Co. Ltd., South Dock, Swansea.

Manager: Harry Eastoe Rees. (Same address.)


c.1921: Brand & Curzon, Milford.


Aug 1921: Wear Steam Fishing Co. Ltd., Fish Quay, Sunderland.

Manager: James Hall, Fish Market, Sunderland.

Oct 1921: As SD90



As H235

17 Nov 1939: Fillets Ltd., Billingsgate Chambers, Hull.

Manager: W. C. Farrow.


22 Feb 1944: The Active Fishing Co. Ltd., Fleetwood.

Managers: J. Marr & Son.


Landed at Milford: 1 Sep 1919 - 30 Aug 1921.



3 Sep 1943: On West of Scotland grounds (Sk. A.J.W. Britton), ‘dodging’ in heavy weather, lost rudder. Rigged jury rudder with otterboard and proceeded for home.
8 Dec 1945: Wrecked on Grannan Point, Lewis. Constructive total loss.

[Information supplied by the Fleetwood Maritime Heritage Trust and the Bosun's Watch website.]

Accidents and Incidents

 From the Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 3rd September 1919:


    The old-time firm of Sellick, Morley and Price, steam trawler owners and managers, has now practically ceased to exist.............  A company of trawler owners and fish merchants is in course of formation to acquire the business of the ice factory ...  This will prove a great boon to the trade generally.

    Another new firm with a future is Messrs. Rees & Co., who also has interests in Swansea.  The number of vessels under their management is increasing.  The latest arrived yesterday, being the Southern Prince.



From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 18th March 1921:



Pinned Under a Trawl Board


       Late of Monday night, Jospeh Boyle (23), a native of Donegal, Ireland, who was employed as fireman on board the "Southern Prince", a steam trawler belonging to Messrs. Brand and Curzon, was found on Milford Docks pinned beneath a trawl board, weighing between 8 cwt. and 10 cwt.  He was extricated and conveyed to Dr. Williams's surgery, and as he was apparently suffering from some serious internal injury, the doctor ordered his removal to the Nursing Home, where he died a few hours later.

    The Coroner (Mr. H. J. E. Price) held an enquiry into the circumstances attending the fatality at the Sessions Rooms, Milford Haven, on Wednesday.

    Sidney Coleman, of Plymouth, a deck hand on the trawler "Brodie", said the first time he met deceased was at closing time (10 o'clock) at the Earl Kitchener on Monday night.  Deceased was the worst for drink, and could not stand.  They went to Swainson's chip shop together.  Deceased said he intended spending the night at the Mission.  Witness left him in the chip shop, and proceeded to the other chip shop at the top of the street, where he went in for some chips and faggots.  About half an hour later witness went down to the Docks to go on board his ship.  There was a policeman at the main gate, and witness said "Good night" to him, but he did not know who the officer was.  Witness's ship was outside ship at the Bristol Ice Factory.  After going through the Dock gates, a watchman walked behind witness for some distance.  Witness heard a groan, and struck a match to investigate, when he saw a man's feet and boots peeping out from beneath a trawl board.  Witness tried to lift the trawl board off the man, but failed.  The watchman came along with his lamp.  When they removed the trawl board witness found that the man underneath was deceased.  Deceased spoke, but they could not make any sense out of what he said; he appeared to be still under the influence of drink.  They called out the night watchman at the ice factory, and went for the police for the stretcher.


    The Coroner said he found that deceased died as a result of injuries accidentally received by a trawl board falling upon him. It seemed to him that this practice of allowing these boards to be indiscriminately scattered about the Docks was a very extraordinary thing, and should be put a stop to. ...............



Back to Other Registrations Q-Z