Official No: 161345 Port and Year: London, 1930 (LO14)
Gdynia, 1946 (GDY91)
Description: Steel side trawler; single screw; coal burning. Cruiser stern
Crew: 12 men (1930).
Built: 1930, by Cochrane & Sons, Selby (Yard.No. 1065)
Tonnage: 335 grt 130 net.
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 135.4 / 24.9 / 13.7
Engine: T.3-Cyl. 99 rhp. By Amos & Smith, Hull.
Jan 1930: Brand & Curzon Ltd., Docks, Milford.
Managers: Edward Brand & Charles E. Curzon. (Same address.)
10 Sep 1937: Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co., 238 Dock St., Fleetwood
Manager: Basil A. Parkes, 'Parkroyd', Linksgate, Thornton-le-Fylde, Lancs.
As SATURNIA GDY91
1946: Government of Poland, Warsaw (Ministry of Industry & Commerce)
Managers: "Dalmor" Przedsiobiorstwo Polowow Dalekomorskich Sp.z.ogr.odn., Gdynia.
Landed at Milford: 30 Jan 1930 - 9 Aug 1937
Tewera: (Te Wera) the Maori meaning "The Burnt"; the name of a wise and successful leader in peace and a courageous strategist in war, who died in 1830.
Aug 1939: Requisitioned by the Admiralty (P.No. FY.526) and converted to a minesweeper.
Jun 1946: Returned to owners.
Feb 1966: Broken up in Gdansk.
[Information supplied by the Fleetwood Maritime Heritage Trust and the Bosun's Watch website.]
Accidents and Incidents
From an unknown local newspaper of c. 6th February 1930:
More than ordinary interest was taking on the Milford fish market on Friday last in the maiden voyage of one of Messrs. Brand & Curzon's new trawlers, the "Tewera", which arrived with a catch from the Icelandic fishing grounds.
Unfortunately it was not a very big voyage, and consisted of about 260 kits, including cod, haddock, plaice, coal-fish and cat-fish. The last named is a peculiar fish never seen on the West coast and never on the Milford fish market, except when brought in by the Iceland trawlers.
It is evident that the enterprising firm of Brand & Curzon, Ltd, are determined to give the Icelandic fishing a thorough trial and thus establish it in the port. Hull, Grimsby and Aberdeen are of course the great ports for this class of trade. It may interest many to know that the port of Milford is 60 miles nearer Iceland than Hull.
The sister ship of the "Tewera" is now on her maiden voyage fishing the Rockall grounds. She is named "Tekoura". The Rockall fishing grounds are in the North Atlantic.
Both fishing vessels were very much admired during their stay in dock, and everybody will hope that the enterprise shown by the firm of Brand & Curzon will meet with success.
From an unknown local newspaper of c. 19th August 1929:
Will the big trawlers leave Milford? That is the question concerning many people in Milford just now. It was rumoured last week that the steam trawlers Tehana, Tekoura and Tewera, the three largest boats in the port, belonging to the fleet of Brand and Curzon Limited. These boats have been sold to Fleetwood owners. No definite statement has been made by the firm, but it is a fact that negotiations are proceeding, and the vessels are at present under survey in the dry dock. Representatives of the Boston Deep Sea Fishing Co., Fleetwood, are at present in Milford. This is the firm that bought up the David Pettit fleet of trawlers a few years ago.
Back to Other Trawlers Q-Z